or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon Plenue P1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cowon Plenue P1 - Page 3

post #31 of 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


I've read that the J3 sounds about on-par with the Sansa Clip Zip. I ended up getting the Clip Zip in that case, and because of the fact that the J3 had some serious bricking problems with Mac OS X.

 

I own both and the Clip Zip's sound is far inferior to my J3.

 

Also those MAC issues were solved years ago with a firmware update

post #32 of 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post


I've read that the J3 sounds about on-par with the Sansa Clip Zip. I ended up getting the Clip Zip in that case.


J3 sounds a bit better than Sansa Zip, better refinement, a hint more detail and separation, though not night and day job away from the Zip imo.. I've owned quite a few Cowons (S9,J3,C2,D2+) while they're admirable sounding players they are a tad smooth and a little light on raw detail. They do however have a nice house sound, and if you haven't heard any better (like I was once) then sure, they're pretty decent, far from the best sounding players Cowon label them as. Personally I think Sony NWZ-F806 sounds better than any Cowon I've tried.

I'm interested in Cowons new player but the need to push some boundaries and hit one out of the park. There needs to be more to Plenue than simply nice storage size and 24bit playback support.

 

post #33 of 2471
I wish they have the old hdd of 750gb space instead of ssd, Like the old generation player.
post #34 of 2471

DELETE


Edited by Mython - 4/1/14 at 4:32pm
post #35 of 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

I disagree very strongly - I've had 2 iPod Classics die on me, because of the HDD failing. I will never buy another electro-mechanical-storage-based DAP as long as I live. Never.

My old iPod from 2003(30gb) , imod from 2007, archos 320gb pmp, are all still alive and well today. wink.gif.
post #36 of 2471

DELETE


Edited by Mython - 4/1/14 at 4:32pm
post #37 of 2471

Looks really, really nice. I hope that they seriously improved the desing over the Z2 and D3, specially on hardware.

I have a D3 and it´s a really nice player, my first "Hi fi" player, but of course it´s a bit dissapointing on some aspects. CPU is really slow for example, and browsing on Internet can be pathetic due to the slowness. Also it´s really dumb that if you press two buttons at once, like volume and the power one, it freezes. Battery life is not horrible ( ~8 hours, average for an Android device) but compared to the X7 of a friend ( +100 hours) it´s ridiculous. Asides from that, it´s still good and nice to use everyday.

 

I will keep an eye on this one, could be a nice upgrade.

post #38 of 2471
I am really sure, that it will be a Wolfson DAC inside. Cowon has a long history of Wolfson DACs.

Personally I hope it will be an AKM like the AK4396. The AKs can be found in Centrance products.
post #39 of 2471

Any update on further specs or estimated release date?

post #40 of 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

By which, I presume, the implication is that I abused my iPods?

 

Well, one of them, I will admit to dropping once in France, so that wasn't the HDDs fault on that occasion, but the point is that my other one still died of natural causes, so I'm thoroughly p1$$ed off with electromechanical HDDs in DAPs. My Cowon J3 has been dropped / fallen literally more times than I can remember, yet it still works exactly as well as the day I first received it from Amazon. Solid state all the way, I say!

 

Fortunately, with Samsung now producing 1TB mSATA drives, it won't be long until prices start to fall and 500gb and 1TB solid state drives become a viable reality for DAPs.

 

If anyone thinks that they'll never drop a DAP they're crazy, or don't really use them as a portable all that much. As to the bolded, it kind of was. A SSD would not be damaged by being dropped.

 

The fact of the matter is that any drive in regular use will die at some point. SSDs are more durable, plain and simple. They're also faster. But yes, to be fast and big, they're also expensive, but have come WAY down in price. 

 

RE: this player, I would imagine that the ZX1 is going to make the market for Android MP3 players a lot more tight. IT's a beautifully built device. I really expected to play with mine then throw it in eBay (they go for more on eBay than they cost on Price Japan, so I figured it was worth it). But I really don't want to part with it. 

post #41 of 2471
Eagerly awaited. Hopefully it's able to drive medium impedance full size headphones well.
post #42 of 2471

When they gonna release more info about it or maybe even the product itself? Nobody has any idea?

post #43 of 2471

Edited by Exit - 3/21/14 at 4:46am
post #44 of 2471

I don't see line out listed, how disappointing.

post #45 of 2471
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

I don't see line out listed, how disappointing.
Name one Cowon device that has line out. wink.gif

Besides, Cowon players, and most portable media players for that matter, sound pretty good by themselves.


........my gawd, SNR of 120 dB and THD+N of 0.0006%? That's pretty dang good! I really hope the price is affordable though. :/

That's a pretty old DAC chip they're using there:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1792a.pdf
Edited by miceblue - 3/21/14 at 4:56am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Cowon Plenue P1