Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › 8 years ago . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

8 years ago . . . - Page 16

post #226 of 286

Their EL34's are supposedly metal base replica's (basically the holy grail of EL34's.) 

post #227 of 286

Hi,

 

Headphone : HE500 or HE560

 

Amp : Phasemation EPA-007

 

Dac : Auralic Vega or Ayre Acoustics QB-9DSD

 

King Regards

post #228 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

Their EL34's are supposedly metal base replica's (basically the holy grail of EL34's.) 


 


Heh, thanks for the clarification. I had only remembered them being replicas of the phillips tubes, not remembering they bought out mullard and were the same company then...
post #229 of 286

welcome to the club.....the waiting game has begin

 

for dac if you decided to settle with 009, try look for an used neko audio d100. Preferably the mark2 version and xlr balanced version. it should be in a region of $700-900. I much prefer it to Electrocompaniet ECD-2 and Meitner Ma-1 (3k and 6k new respectively), I owned the ECD and Meitner I audienced it extensively. And don't be ashamed to have a "cheap" or entry level or whatever people say DAC on one of the totl system. I know I wont be.

post #230 of 286

If you could live with an unbalanced input for a while, the Resonessence Concero HD (from the same folks as the Invicta) both sounds and measures exemplary.

post #231 of 286
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbigger View Post
 

welcome to the club.....the waiting game has begin

 

for dac if you decided to settle with 009, try look for an used neko audio d100. Preferably the mark2 version and xlr balanced version. it should be in a region of $700-900. I much prefer it to Electrocompaniet ECD-2 and Meitner Ma-1 (3k and 6k new respectively), I owned the ECD and Meitner I audienced it extensively. And don't be ashamed to have a "cheap" or entry level or whatever people say DAC on one of the totl system. I know I wont be.

 

Actually, I already have an entry-level DAC/amp . . . an ADL/Furutech Esprit.  I've decided to be patient on upgrading the DAC, principally because I'm waiting to read reviews for the PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

 

Update:  I probably will not have to play the waiting game.  Assuming the transaction goes well (and there is no real reason to believe it won't), I found and purchased a used KGBH off the 'gon yesterday.  It may not be the BHSE, but at 40% the price and the ability to have it at the end of the week (instead of at the end of this year), it seemed a no-brainer.  I'm very excited, but a little concerned that folks might weigh in and tell me how inferior it is to the BHSE.  But, I had to act quickly and wasn't able to seek the Summit-Fi consensus before pulling the trigger . . . .


Edited by bahamaman - 3/26/14 at 11:49am
post #232 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamaman View Post
 

 

Actually, I already have an entry-level DAC/amp . . . an ADL/Furutech Esprit.  I've decided to be patient on upgrading the DAC, principally because I'm waiting to read reviews for the PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

 

Update:  I probably will not have to play the waiting game.  Assuming the transaction goes well (and there is no real reason to believe it won't), I found and purchased a used KGBH off the 'gon yesterday.  It may not be the BHSE, but at 40% the price and the ability to have it at the end of the week (instead of at the end of this year), it seemed a no-brainer.  I'm very excited, but a little concerned that folks might weigh in and tell me how inferior it is to the BHSE.  But, I had to act quickly and wasn't able to seek the Summit-Fi consensus before pulling the trigger . . . .

The Concero HD I mentioned does DSD if that is of interest, at a spectacular price point.

We can all offer suggestions opinions, etc. In the end it is your ears that must be happy and only you can decide when you have achieved your own personal goals. Remember, we all hear differently, both for technical and preferencial reasons.

post #233 of 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamaman View Post
 

 

Actually, I already have an entry-level DAC/amp . . . an ADL/Furutech Esprit.  I've decided to be patient on upgrading the DAC, principally because I'm waiting to read reviews for the PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

 

Update:  I probably will not have to play the waiting game.  Assuming the transaction goes well (and there is no real reason to believe it won't), I found and purchased a used KGBH off the 'gon yesterday.  It may not be the BHSE, but at 40% the price and the ability to have it at the end of the week (instead of at the end of this year), it seemed a no-brainer.  I'm very excited, but a little concerned that folks might weigh in and tell me how inferior it is to the BHSE.  But, I had to act quickly and wasn't able to seek the Summit-Fi consensus before pulling the trigger . . . .

 

 

 

So it was you who snagged it...

post #234 of 286
Thread Starter 
Yes, it was me. I hope I wasn't competing against any head-fiers, though I suppose it's likely that I was. I was just fortunate to see the listing almost as soon as it went up.
post #235 of 286

Well congrats I suppose.  Did he ever send you pics?  Despite my best efforts, I've gotten beat out about 3 times already within the past year or so on second hand BHSE's.  I don't know if it's my online personality, bad luck, being too slow (I am generally not), or what.  The pain isn't as bad anymore.

post #236 of 286
Thread Starter 
I am sorry, genuinely, though thankful for my own good fortune. I didn't even ask for pics, feeling it smarter to commit at the earliest possible moment.
post #237 of 286
Grats on the snag, hope it does well for you. Now to find a minty mk1, right?
post #238 of 286
Thread Starter 
I think I'm committed to pairing it with the 009s, though I've not yet pulled the trigger (up until 2 days ago, I thought I had the luxury of time, waiting on a new BHSE!). Second option would clearly be the Mk.I
post #239 of 286

Congrats on the KGBH amp.  I have not heard it but the BHSE should be superior sounding to it.  Wonder if the KGBH is any better than a full spec KGSSHV.  Maybe Justin, Birgir, or KG can shed some light.

post #240 of 286

Stat mafia, cmiiw

 

Kgbh: Kevin Gilmore blue Hawaii 

Bhse: blue Hawaii special edition 

 

Blue Hawaii circuitry was invented by Kevin Gilmore. 

 

My logic,  Sq wise is the same

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › 8 years ago . . .