or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!) - Page 48

post #706 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigsBoss View Post

Of course your Korean mates can hardly translate anything, since these are CHINESE characters in the pictures...

korean brands have their presnce in china?like these top tier along with their mass produced $5-$50 entry level and mid budget iems! Good to know that.
post #707 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post


korean brands have their presnce in china?like these top tier along with their mass produced $5-$50 entry level and mid budget iems! Good to know that.

I think DUNU is a Chinese brand based in the city of Dongguan, in Guangdong province of China, according to its official website.

post #708 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigsBoss View Post

I think DUNU is a Chinese brand based in the city of Dongguan, in Guangdong province of China, according to its official website.

Err.......my bad. I was referring to t-peos insteaf dunu.
post #709 of 1296
Got myself a pair of DN-2000's today, first impressions with mid-sized silicon tips

-Bass lacks a bit of hardness/punch, but sounds very linear overall (great transition to mids). Its presence is a bit above neutral.
-Bass displays great decay, tightness, and extension. Again, the bass sounds very linear, near "ortho" levels, but lacks slam/impact.
-Mid-range is stunningly smooth, with BA clarity. The linear bass does well in transitioning to the mids, and vocals have plenty of "ground" to work off of. A couple of well placed dips in the highs prevent harshness.
-Highs have a bit of sparkle, but are essentially rolled off. The sound lacks a bit of air and treble definition. however, there is great clarity, and no sibilance to be found.
-Imaging is very impressive, placement is well defined, and exhibits a good amount of speed. Better treble extention could have made the sound more 3 dimensional (it isn't lacking in this aspect, but it could have been done better).
-Sound stage displays good width, and above average depth.

Main strengthes
-Solid Mids, strongest aspect of the DN-2000's
-Linear bass
-Clean sound, and low distortion
-Imaging
-Overall clarity and resolution
Main weaknesses
-Treble definition and extention (mediocre at best, but nothing to really fuss about)
-Bass slam (it's there, but it's nothing great)
So-so
-Micro-detail
-Dynamics, (low end extention is good, high end not so much)

IMO, they sound great. I absolutely adore the mid-range, and smoothness of the overall sound. I doesn't best my He-500's at anything, but it does so well in its own way that I couldn't really ask for anything more. It sounds clean and clear without grain or sibilance. Some may find the rolled of highs bothersome.

They don't respond to eq at all, not that I care.
post #710 of 1296

If you haven't tried using the foam tips, then you haven't tried these headphones.

 

These things are everything I expected and more. I was concerned about a possible lack of bass, but those comments turned out to be overblown. This is why high end sound systems strive for balance and accuracy: Quantity can always be adjusted after the fact; quality can't.

post #711 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrigid View Post
 

If you haven't tried using the foam tips, then you haven't tried these headphones.

 

These things are everything I expected and more. I was concerned about a possible lack of bass, but those comments turned out to be overblown. This is why high end sound systems strive for balance and accuracy: Quantity can always be adjusted after the fact; quality can't.

I agree the foamies make a significant difference for me also. If you find the bass lacking you could always pick up a decent little amp or the new Z03 should be a nice little combo :)

post #712 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnun8086 View Post

I agree the foamies make a significant difference for me also. If you find the bass lacking you could always pick up a decent little amp or the new Z03 should be a nice little combo smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the advice, I'm getting a portable dac/amp for them soon. I hope it improves the treble resolution of the DN-2000. It's pratically perfect if not for the highs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrigid View Post

If you haven't tried using the foam tips, then you haven't tried these headphones.

These things are everything I expected and more. I was concerned about a possible lack of bass, but those comments turned out to be overblown. This is why high end sound systems strive for balance and accuracy: Quantity can always be adjusted after the fact; quality can't.
I have to agree, the comfort and dynamics of the foam tips are amazing. But I'm sticking with the silicon tips since they sound much more open to me, even if the comfort makes my ears bleed.
post #713 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post


Thanks for the advice, I'm getting a portable dac/amp for them soon. I hope it improves the treble resolution of the DN-2000. It's pratically perfect if not for the highs.
I have to agree, the comfort and dynamics of the foam tips are amazing. But I'm sticking with the silicon tips since they sound much more open to me, even if the comfort makes my ears bleed.

 

I agree a lot with your impressions. Right now the only problems I can notice are that the highs seem to be rolled off making the earphones not particularly satisfying at low volumes, but the mids are still very good and so darn clear  and articulate even at whisper volumes.

 

I am using the square fins that make the protrusions with the L and R letters not hurt my ears, and also the small ear tips because the foam and normal size silicon eartips are a bit too big for me.

post #714 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post

Got myself a pair of DN-2000's today, first impressions with mid-sized silicon tips

-Bass lacks a bit of hardness/punch, but sounds very linear overall (great transition to mids). Its presence is a bit above neutral.
-Bass displays great decay, tightness, and extension. Again, the bass sounds very linear, near "ortho" levels, but lacks slam/impact.
-Mid-range is stunningly smooth, with BA clarity. The linear bass does well in transitioning to the mids, and vocals have plenty of "ground" to work off of. A couple of well placed dips in the highs prevent harshness.
-Highs have a bit of sparkle, but are essentially rolled off. The sound lacks a bit of air and treble definition. however, there is great clarity, and no sibilance to be found.
-Imaging is very impressive, placement is well defined, and exhibits a good amount of speed. Better treble extention could have made the sound more 3 dimensional (it isn't lacking in this aspect, but it could have been done better).
-Sound stage displays good width, and above average depth.

Main strengthes
-Solid Mids, strongest aspect of the DN-2000's
-Linear bass
-Clean sound, and low distortion
-Imaging
-Overall clarity and resolution
Main weaknesses
-Treble definition and extention (mediocre at best, but nothing to really fuss about)
-Bass slam (it's there, but it's nothing great)
So-so
-Micro-detail
-Dynamics, (low end extention is good, high end not so much)

IMO, they sound great. I absolutely adore the mid-range, and smoothness of the overall sound. I doesn't best my He-500's at anything, but it does so well in its own way that I couldn't really ask for anything more. It sounds clean and clear without grain or sibilance. Some may find the rolled of highs bothersome.

They don't respond to eq at all, not that I care.

 

I mostly agree with your impression!  The mids is really special, smooth clear, and so beautiful.  Also agree bass is lacking of slam and impact, although bass quality is very good and extends very low.

But I don't find the treble extension is lacking. Maybe a bit lacking when I used the warm sounding Centrance DACport, but extends very well on other DACs like Geek Out 450 and Dragonfly, also Yulong DA8 desktop DAC.

It's true that the treble extension is not as good as big headphones like T1 and HD800. But for IEM, so far, not many can achieve the balance of frequency coverage as wide as DN-2000, with such a smooth tonality.  For example, I have ATH-CKN70 that the treble extends very2 far... but it's an ultra bright IEM, sounds good on some recording, very airy, but the balance of the tonal balance is not as good DN-2000.  Also many much more expensive IEM doesn't have better treble extension than DN-2000.

 

Update:

From my previous review, the Audio Technica IM series, I learn that multi drivers IEM might be affected by the output impedance of the player / amp.

So I just tested my DUNU DN-2000 with Geek Out 450, which has 2 outputs.  One output with 0.47 ohms output impedance, and the other output with 47 ohms output impedance.  It is confirm that treble extension is affected by the output impedance.  The higher the output impedance, the softer the treble, therefore treble extension might get too soft.  So to get better treble extension, try DN-2000 with low output impedance player / amp.  Smartphone might has high output impedance, so when used with smartphones or other high output impedance player such as the 1st gen AK100 with 20 ohms output impedance, treble extension might get soften.


Edited by earfonia - 6/27/14 at 10:10pm
post #715 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphonatic View Post

Got myself a pair of DN-2000's today, first impressions with mid-sized silicon tips

-Bass lacks a bit of hardness/punch, but sounds very linear overall (great transition to mids). Its presence is a bit above neutral.
-Bass displays great decay, tightness, and extension. Again, the bass sounds very linear, near "ortho" levels, but lacks slam/impact.
-Mid-range is stunningly smooth, with BA clarity. The linear bass does well in transitioning to the mids, and vocals have plenty of "ground" to work off of. A couple of well placed dips in the highs prevent harshness.
-Highs have a bit of sparkle, but are essentially rolled off. The sound lacks a bit of air and treble definition. however, there is great clarity, and no sibilance to be found.
-Imaging is very impressive, placement is well defined, and exhibits a good amount of speed. Better treble extention could have made the sound more 3 dimensional (it isn't lacking in this aspect, but it could have been done better).
-Sound stage displays good width, and above average depth.

Main strengthes
-Solid Mids, strongest aspect of the DN-2000's
-Linear bass
-Clean sound, and low distortion
-Imaging
-Overall clarity and resolution
Main weaknesses
-Treble definition and extention (mediocre at best, but nothing to really fuss about)
-Bass slam (it's there, but it's nothing great)
So-so
-Micro-detail
-Dynamics, (low end extention is good, high end not so much)

IMO, they sound great. I absolutely adore the mid-range, and smoothness of the overall sound. I doesn't best my He-500's at anything, but it does so well in its own way that I couldn't really ask for anything more. It sounds clean and clear without grain or sibilance. Some may find the rolled of highs bothersome.

They don't respond to eq at all, not that I care.

About the treble...Have you found a way to make it less noticeable through EQ.... I'm trying to nail de frequency but can't find it

post #716 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibiSC View Post
 

About the treble...Have you found a way to make it less noticeable through EQ.... I'm trying to nail de frequency but can't find it

Have you tried the foam tips they cut some of the treble or look for some tips with a larger hole like the foam. I fond some on ebay around $3.

post #717 of 1296

I wonder how they measure up to Grado iems

post #718 of 1296
post #719 of 1296

The sound and the graph don't really match IMO. 

post #720 of 1296
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

The sound and the graph don't really match IMO. 


The original or the compensated?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)