or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaming headset - Page 2

post #16 of 38
Thread Starter 

BUMP

post #17 of 38

I find my K612 pro great for gaming. Super comfy too.

post #18 of 38

I've had the Audio Technica ATH AD700X for about 2 years, using them for mostly music and gaming (Fps games like BF3/BF4)

 

I have used my ATH AD700X with the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard. When gaming I never used the Dolby or 7.1 surround option in the soundcard software. Good headphones will give you accurate sound position without those enhancements. Using dolby or 7.1, the positions ended up sounding artificial for me. But some may prefer it. I switched from the soundcard to an external headphone DAC/amp (HRT microstreamer) for better sound quality. 

 

Advantages

- Solid choice for FPS (the only game type I really play) because being an open back headphone it has a decent soundstage with I feel helps with positional awareness. 

- Sound quality is clean and detailed. Not so bassy, but the bass sounds are there and accurate. - They are great headphones for music. 

- Very light headphones

- I believe they are 32ohm - your iphone/ipad or other portables will run them easily.

 

Disadvantage

- Headband ("3D wing design") - For me the headphone were loose for my head and tended to slide down in time, and ended up being held up by my ears, thereby becoming uncomfortable - (There are DIY fixes which can be found in forums, but I never could be bothered)

- The headphone lead is 'tangle proof' which never seemed to relax and become straight. Even after 2 years, it still has loose coils which I personally found annoying 

 

*Also being an open backed phone, they do not insulate any noise both in an out of the headphones. If you are intending to play competitive games with your friends in the same room, they will hear everything you hear and you will hear everything around you. Obviously the latter will affect your ability to hear the in-game audio.

 

This is all I can think of at the moment. Any question feel free to ask. I recently upgraded my headphones, but will keep the AD700X - It is a very decent headphone. :D

post #19 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post
 

 

This is all I can think of at the moment. Any question feel free to ask. I recently upgraded my headphones, but will keep the AD700X - It is a very decent headphone. :D

Thanks I will, by "in time" how long are we talking? and also you say very decent headphone. Is there any other suggestions you can make me?

post #20 of 38

For me not long after I put them on - maybe half an hour. I think it is meant to be a loose fitting headphone, and being so light, if it fits your head I'd imagine it being a very very comfortable headphone, but alas just doesn't fit me like that.

 

I've not had many other headphones so can't advise on others. I did have a SteelSeries Siberia prior to the AD700X. That is a more tighter fitting headphone, but after about an hour or so gaming, my ears hurt due to it pressing on them.

 

I'm not trying to confuse you, but when I first tried the AD700X from the Siberia, the ATs were sooo comfortable. Not to mention sound quality being on another level - But given the price difference this is to be expected. 

 

Despite the headband fit issue and other negatives I listed earlier, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to you. It's actually these headphones that got me really interested in audio equipment. I could go from gaming to listening and appreciating music. Sound quality in this sense gives them a broad appeal.

 

The loose fit can be worked around if needed (I think a DIY fix involves just 1 rubber band). There probably will be other headphones that do aspects better, but at the price, broad usage I feel they punch above their weight, and a solid choice. 

post #21 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post
 

For me not long after I put them on - maybe half an hour. I think it is meant to be a loose fitting headphone, and being so light, if it fits your head I'd imagine it being a very very comfortable headphone, but alas just doesn't fit me like that.

 

I've not had many other headphones so can't advise on others. I did have a SteelSeries Siberia prior to the AD700X. That is a more tighter fitting headphone, but after about an hour or so gaming, my ears hurt due to it pressing on them.

 

I'm not trying to confuse you, but when I first tried the AD700X from the Siberia, the ATs were sooo comfortable. Not to mention sound quality being on another level - But given the price difference this is to be expected. 

 

Despite the headband fit issue and other negatives I listed earlier, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to you. It's actually these headphones that got me really interested in audio equipment. I could go from gaming to listening and appreciating music. Sound quality in this sense gives them a broad appeal.

 

The loose fit can be worked around if needed (I think a DIY fix involves just 1 rubber band). There probably will be other headphones that do aspects better, but at the price, broad usage I feel they punch above their weight, and a solid choice. 

Alright thanks! i will most likely buy these tonight. Cheers man, but before i do i noticed that there is no pivoting ear cups was this an issue for you? or was its fine? because i feel like it will be sitting kind of sideways on my ears instead of straight on.


Edited by xSkinny - 3/12/14 at 1:50pm
post #22 of 38

Personally I've been using the Philips X1's with the V-moda mic and its been fantastic!! The X1's are great for any type of music and some of the most comfortable headphones if not THE most comfortable I've ever owned or tested! The best part about them is that they have a detachable cable that is very standard and can take any 3.5mm to 3.5mm you throw at it so no need to mod or stick mics on them. Personally they will stay with me for a long long time because of how flexible and comfortable they are. Its hard to describe the sound. They are basically a jack of all trades. They don't lack or excel in any ONE area but top to bottom do everything really good! 

 

 

 

 

I also like my M100's with the deeper XL pads but the X1's being open and more comfy have pretty much taken over as my gaming set. 

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

:evil:

post #23 of 38

It would definitely have been nice to have pivoting cups. That would certainly help with comfort. But to be honest after buying the headphones, that didn't jump to me as an issue until I read/saw reviews mentioning it. The main issues I have already mentioned. 

 

I would add, the fact that the drivers are angled, and the headphones are themselves at a slight angle may help mitigate any issues (if any) with the ears not being parallel with the headphones. 

 

I washed the earpads of my AD700X for the first time yesterday, so you can have a closer look inside, Worth noting, the ear pads are very very fiddly to get back on the headphones, I haven't managed it as yet

 

 

 

 

post #24 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonFox View Post
 

Personally I've been using the Philips X1's with the V-moda mic and its been fantastic!! The X1's are great for any type of music and some of the most comfortable headphones if not THE most comfortable I've ever owned or tested! The best part about them is that they have a detachable cable that is very standard and can take any 3.5mm to 3.5mm you throw at it so no need to mod or stick mics on them. Personally they will stay with me for a long long time because of how flexible and comfortable they are. Its hard to describe the sound. They are basically a jack of all trades. They don't lack or excel in any ONE area but top to bottom do everything really good! 

 

I also like my M100's with the deeper XL pads but the X1's being open and more comfy have pretty much taken over as my gaming set. 

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

:evil:

Thanks man really appreciate it! But they are just too expencive for me even too consider in Canada

 

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00B3QD94O/ref=asc_df_B00B3QD94O3040998?smid=A3JVXPGY4Y8BM7&linkCode=asn&creative=395393&creativeASIN=B00B3QD94O&tag=shopbotca-20

 

Still, I really appreciate it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post
 

It would definitely have been nice to have pivoting cups. That would certainly help with comfort. But to be honest after buying the headphones, that didn't jump to me as an issue until I read/saw reviews mentioning it. The main issues I have already mentioned. 

 

I would add, the fact that the drivers are angled, and the headphones are themselves at a slight angle may help mitigate any issues (if any) with the ears not being parallel with the headphones. 

 

I washed the earpads of my AD700X for the first time yesterday, so you can have a closer look inside, Worth noting, the ear pads are very very fiddly to get back on the headphones, I haven't managed it as yet

Thanks man, I really think you just sealed the deal on these! The look inside kinda helped my worries cause of the angles drivers.

post #25 of 38

Well, I'm glad I was of assistance to you:).

Let us know your feedback after burning them in. Have fun!

post #26 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post
 

Well, I'm glad I was of assistance to you:).

Let us know your feedback after burning them in. Have fun!

Wait, you have to burn them in?! Whats that mean?

post #27 of 38

Ha nothing to worry about. Just means breaking them in. Headphones tend to 'open up' and their sound develops or matures (gets better) as you continue to use them. I suppose it's like any mechanical instrument. Some say it's just the imagination of the listener, while others say it's actually mechanical - in that the wire coils in the drivers gradually change or tighten (or something like that lol) once you put electricity through them

 

I recently got a new headphone along with a DAC and amp, and I think I can perceive a change in the sound from when I first listened to them. With my AD700X I found myself enjoying listening to the same music more and more as time passed. 

post #28 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post
 

Ha nothing to worry about. Just means breaking them in. Headphones tend to 'open up' and their sound develops or matures (gets better) as you continue to use them. I suppose it's like any mechanical instrument. Some say it's just the imagination of the listener, while others say it's actually mechanical - in that the wire coils in the drivers gradually change or tighten (or something like that lol) once you put electricity through them

 

I recently got a new headphone along with a DAC and amp, and I think I can perceive a change in the sound from when I first listened to them. With my AD700X I found myself enjoying listening to the same music more and more as time passed. 

Ah, I see. So how long do I want to break them in for? And can I just leave it playing on my computer over night or something?

post #29 of 38

I vote for the HD598's or X1's.  Please remember that lazy people don't mod their headphones <-- :D

post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSkinny View Post
 

Ah, I see. So how long do I want to break them in for? And can I just leave it playing on my computer over night or something?

 

Well, most headphones will open up after 50-100 hours and many usually do leave their phones playing overnight. Burn-in is pretty subjective- some say it's a myth, some say it's science. Some say you need pink noise to burn them in. My advice? Just play your favorite music and listen them to yourself closely to see if they sound better yourself. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home