That's correct, I am not looking for HD800 differences war here, neither many who may like to keep it to the subject, but...As we all try to explain something, different subjects are popping up just like that, so, as long as we can keep it nice, no problems either.
Regarding better or worse, K812 vs. HD800
From the start, and I like to say it again, I didn't like what I heard, not because they were that terrible sonically only, no, also, because I experienced a very nasty adjusting period from out of box and say few days later with very little burn in. I don't read much another man reviews lately, but when I do, I don't see much about the burn in process as a whole, so, I thought it may help some of possible users to understand that K812 are really need some serious burn in time, before you can say anything, that's how I felt and still feel about them. More even, while I don't expect wonders, my idea is that these need around 400 for sure, as the changes they show after 250 are pretty noticeable in every area, however, and this is how I still feel to, even they will be fully burned in, I don't expect them become the pair of headphones I REALLY like to own, because their basic intentions are differ from my preferences. They are/were tuned at the way I don't like it at full and areas where they failed are not acceptable for me personally.
Here are the areas:
- I wish they used better material/construction to make them lighter and automatically more comfortable
- I wish they were more realistic with their way of ambience reproduction
- I wish they were more spacey, not just RIGHT LEFT and centric oriented, with more air around the instruments, less pressure around midsection
- I wish their bass had real depth
- I wish that their cable were like HD800 and offer fully balanced option
These, as far as I can remember, the most important things that draw me away from them. Yes, some may disagree, but that's them and not me and to me, all above makes a very important part of the whole, each single thing push them to the top or bottom. With premium price I expect premium headphones.