or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread - Page 4

post #46 of 196
I used it yesterday again and I gotta admit, they're growing on me. The clarity and imaging is really impressive.
post #47 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyCo87 View Post

I used it yesterday again and I gotta admit, they're growing on me. The clarity and imaging is really impressive.

 

Which one has better sub-bass quantity IM50 or Ax35?

post #48 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post  Which one has better sub-bass quantity IM50 or Ax35?


IM50. The AX35 rolls off early.

post #49 of 196

8oyAFr7l.jpg

It is in.

post #50 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

8oyAFr7l.jpg

It is in.

Nice! Tell us what you think! 

post #51 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post  Nice! Tell us what you think! 

 

Overall, I think it's good...

 

  • Decent imaging. Not TOTL, though.
  • Doesn't get horribly dark with in-line serial resistance. 64 ohms gains noticeable clarity at the expense of some bass texture --- I've been using it almost exclusively with it attached.
  • Cable is quite soft and pliable. Best Astrotec cable yet. Don't really care for the striped colors, but whatever. Not a big deal.
  • Astrotec stock silicone tips need work --- too stiff; except for the imitation Comply tips, they're great --- probably the closest I've seen to real Comply foams in a while.
  • Bass speed is a little slow compared to higher-end products. Will have to wait for something like the KC06 to get an adequate comparison of products in the same price range.
  • Time-coherence issue is less pronounced because of the lesser bass impact, but not perfect. At this price point, it's forgivable, along with most of the other small issues.
  • For $70, it's a great product; its major competition would probably be the Ostry KC06 as a quality budget product with a balanced, neutral-leaning signature, but I haven't heard the KC06 yet.
post #52 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

 

Overall, I think it's good...

 

  • Decent imaging. Not TOTL, though.
  • Doesn't get horribly dark with in-line serial resistance. 64 ohms gains noticeable clarity at the expense of some bass texture --- I've been using it almost exclusively with it attached.
  • Cable is quite soft and pliable. Best Astrotec cable yet. Don't really care for the striped colors, but whatever. Not a big deal.
  • Astrotec stock silicone tips need work --- too stiff; except for the imitation Comply tips, they're great --- probably the closest I've seen to real Comply foams in a while.
  • Bass speed is a little slow compared to higher-end products. Will have to wait for something like the KC06 to get an adequate comparison of products in the same price range.
  • Time-coherence issue is less pronounced because of the lesser bass impact, but not perfect. At this price point, it's forgivable, along with most of the other small issues.
  • For $70, it's a great product; its major competition would probably be the Ostry KC06 as a quality budget product with a balanced, neutral-leaning signature, but I haven't heard the KC06 yet.

I heard the KC06 briefly and from memory, I prefer the AX35 by far. I think the bass is pretty fast, much better than the AX60 anyway. 

post #53 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post  I heard the KC06 briefly and from memory, I prefer the AX35 by far. I think the bass is pretty fast, much better than the AX60 anyway. 

 

The Astrotec products I've heard have always sounded strange to me in the bass, but the AX35 is the most acceptable for me. I'm very nitpicky, though, and most people should be fine with it. BTW, dynamic products that I actually consider to possess "fast, textured bass" are the RE-400/600, EX1000, 3DD, and 1Plus2. The bar is being set very high for the AX35 with regard to bass, with the RE-400 being the lowest in price. I get the gut feeling I'll like the KC06 a little more in the bass, but I won't know until I actually get one.

post #54 of 196

Have you tried the DN-1000 BTW? 

post #55 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post  Have you tried the DN-1000 BTW? 


Yes, but not in a direct comparison.

post #56 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post
 

Have you tried the DN-1000 BTW? 

Lin, could you do a comparison to the DN1000? It seems like you have listened to both. Thanks.

post #57 of 196

They are a little similar but the DN-1000 is better, no doubt. It has a bit more of a V shaped sound with more bass and treble. It is more detailed, larger soundstage and has better separation. Overall it is a better product, but not 3 times better. 

post #58 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post  They are a little similar but the DN-1000 is better, no doubt. It has a bit more of a V shaped sound with more bass and treble. It is more detailed, larger soundstage and has better separation. Overall it is a better product, but not 3 times better. 

 

The DN-1000 costs three times as much? I was under the impression that it was twice as much... Anyway, I do agree with your general summary of the DN-1000.

post #59 of 196

$215 and $70 was it? 

post #60 of 196

I just checked; it's around $190 street price, so I guess somewhere in the middle.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread