or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) - Page 95

post #1411 of 3470
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo7messi10 View Post
 

Dsnuts I bought the fx850 from ur review. It has been an amazing IEM. What I'd like to know is if there is a better IEM out there in your opinion? What about the ASG2?

 

 I can point you out to some very excellent equivalents depending on your taste of sound flavor.. You like that big bold musical style of the FX850 but want to try Audio Technica's take on it.  That would be the ATH-CKR10..Best vocal rendition in the industry as far as I am concerned and even a lusher bass if that is possible.  Or if you want something more neutral with a silky engaging sound.. I highly recommend the ATH-M03 but with the cable upgrade AT offers.. I am loving the Nuforce Primo8 but the AT earphones offer a better value for the money for their given sound qualities.. If you don't mind spending a bit extra.. The Nuforce Primo 8 represents one of the best sounding 4 BAs. With the best isolation out of the bunch I suggested. You guys can read my thoughts on the Nuforce 8 on my signature or on the front page...I think it really comes down to ones own taste in sound to think any one of these earphones are "better" over the FX850.. Once you get to this level of sound performance all of them sound fantastic in their own way offering their own take on a particular flavor..

 

I like all of them equally to be honest. It really depends on my mood which phone gets ear time.  Hard not to love the FX850 every time I hear them. :ksc75smile:

post #1412 of 3470
Thread Starter 

. Sorry wrong thread. Lol.


Edited by Dsnuts - 6/23/14 at 6:46pm
post #1413 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post
 

 

 I can point you out to some very excellent equivalents depending on your taste of sound flavor.. You like that big bold musical style of the FX850 but want to try Audio Technica's take on it.  That would be the ATH-CKR10..Best vocal rendition in the industry as far as I am concerned and even a lusher bass if that is possible.  Or if you want something more neutral with a silky engaging sound.. I highly recommend the ATH-M03 but with the cable upgrade AT offers.. I am loving the Nuforce Primo8 but the AT earphones offer a better value for the money for their given sound qualities.. If you don't mind spending a bit extra.. The Nuforce Primo 8 represents one of the best sounding 4 BAs. With the best isolation out of the bunch I suggested. You guys can read my thoughts on the Nuforce 8 on my signature or on the front page...I think it really comes down to ones own taste in sound to think any one of these earphones are "better" over the FX850.. Once you get to this level of sound performance all of them sound fantastic in their own way offering their own take on a particular flavor..

 

I like all of them equally to be honest. It really depends on my mood which phone gets ear time.  Hard not to love the FX850 every time I hear them. :ksc75smile:

 

Thank you very much! 

post #1414 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPierre View Post

One thing I'd have to disagree with in this thread is the amount the burn-in that changes the FX-850. Let me clarify for those who've yet to pull the trigger on buying these. They have quite a bit of bass heft that does seep into the lower midrange and it can definitely make 'apparent' detail blur up, but that's just how 100 - 500 hertz is when boosted, not because the headphone is muddy. Those who claim it has slow, unrefined bass at first are wrong, it's just the apparent detail isn't clear, and after listening to these for a month I've realized it's very possible to adjust and get past this 'muddy' sound, but it's not because of burn-in, it's mental adjustment. Going to a different headphone and back makes me realize this everytime. Also, these sound fine off a lowly source such as the sansa clip+, but they definitely scale up with my modi + magni in an amazing way. --- and a last note, the cable is extremely prone to coiling from normal usage, it twists up and likes to stay twisted. Not sure if it's a norm for IEMs, but my XB90EX doesn't do that so I thought it's worth noting.

I had an experience that contradicts yours, so I suppose it depends.
I listened for about 6 hours in the first few days. Then I set them to burn for over a week.
During that time I listened to a number of other headphones and earphones in my possession with different sound signatures. Twice during the process I listened in to 3 specific songs that I had designated. Once at around 20 hours and again at around 50. Didn't get around to them again until just past 200 when I stopped burning them.
I couldn't tell you how many hours made the change or over what period, but my notes are very clear about the change.
I alternate often between my cans and I have yet to have them sound as they did out of box.
So, YMMV apparently.
Edited by Kamakahah - 6/23/14 at 8:04pm
post #1415 of 3470
Personally I felt they sounded a tad hollow out of the box. Still impressive no less. They have improved a bit with usage. Not sure if I put 200 hours on them yet though.
post #1416 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Personally I felt they sounded a tad hollow out of the box. Still impressive no less. They have improved a bit with usage. Not sure if I put 200 hours on them yet though.

when I got mine, I did ab test against e demo unit...demi unit definitelt sounded w bettr clsrity n tighter bass. At beginning I could only use mine w double flanges to cut some bass n bring up e mids n highs. Complys muddies them. Now, I listen to them w e comply-like foam tips that came w my ftx90...increases bass quantity wo loosing mids..thus I can say e sound does change quite a bit after some listening. ..but not to e extend of 1000hr burn in
post #1417 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Glad your enjoying them..Source wise these play really well out of everything I own they sound exceptional out of my DX90 but I would imagine these sounding really nice with anything with more power. X5 X3.. Maybe it might be worth looking into a nice portable amp to use with your iPhone 4. Might do the trick to bring the sound of the FX850 to a proper level and you don't have to spend so much..Oh and I don't know how much you believe in burn in but I highly recommend running music through the wood drivers for a good weeks worth of time. It will be worth your effort. They will only sound better and better as you do this.

I would honestly say that is a requirement.

Can anyone tell us how the Fiio E12 sound with the FX850 if they own it? Something like that.  I use my 2quickstep amp and it sounds too nice.
Hey Ds the e12 is a good pair with fx850 it is smoothed out on the upper end but bright enough for me anyways,and for now, easy to listen to for long sessions, lush and has a bit more body. Still very clear. I would like to upgrade to a t1, Ifi nano, or a C&C XO2 or who knows still doin my homework, and waiting for funds. What amps do you like or dislike with them?
post #1418 of 3470
Thread Starter 

To be honest I don't have anything that sounds off with the FX850.. I just got one of these.


The newest version with adjustable gain. The ICAN worth every cent I paid and then some. This makes my FX850 sound like heaven has ascended onto my ears. Lol. My other fave is my 2quickstep for portable use but I mostly just use my DX90 when I am out and about. The amp portion of the DX90 is very nice. It is not as spacious as my 2quickstep or ICAN but comes very close in terms of dynamics and has ample power to drive all my phones with ease.

 

Just for grins I bought a new Topping NX1 $35 portable amp for my own scientific reasons and another random DXetreme portable amp that was even cheaper for $30. So cheap I had to see how much sonics a $35 amp will throw out. Should be interesting.


Edited by Dsnuts - 6/26/14 at 6:04am
post #1419 of 3470
What is the impedance on that amp? Heard quite a lot of good things about that amp.
post #1420 of 3470
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

What is the impedance on that amp? Heard quite a lot of good things about that amp.


Some specs.

 

Gain stage: Fully discrete, Class A

Buffer stage: TPA6120A2

EQ: two levels selectable 3D Holographic Sound and XBass

Signal to Noise Ratio: >117dB(A)

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.003%(400mV/150R)

Frequency Response: 0.5Hz to 500KHz(-3dB)

Output Power: >400mW(32Ω)

Output Voltage: >5V (>600Ω)

Input Voltage: AC 100 - 240V, 50/60Hz

Power Consumption: < 4W idle, 10W max.

Dimensions: 158(l)x68(w)x28(h)mm

Weight: 216g(0.48lbs)

Input: RCA and 3.5mm stereo jacks

Output: 6.4mm stereo jacks.

 

The newest version I got has 3 adjustable gain switches on the bottom of the amp. On lowest gain all my earphones sound stupendous..This is my first amp from IFI audio and I have to admit I am very impressed. This amp got me curious about their other dacs and amps as well. This is an older review but ClieOS does a great job with his review here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/659776/impression-ifi-audio-idac-ican-iusb-power-trio-of-goodness


Edited by Dsnuts - 6/26/14 at 5:57pm
post #1421 of 3470

I am getting my FX850 tonight!! So excited but I guess won't have time for them til my girlfriend leaves on Monday...lol!

post #1422 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post
 

To be honest I don't have anything that sounds off with the FX850.. I just got one of these.


The newest version with adjustable gain. The ICAN worth every cent I paid and then some. This makes my FX850 sound like heaven has ascended onto my ears. Lol. My other fave is my 2quickstep for portable use but I mostly just use my DX90 when I am out and about. The amp portion of the DX90 is very nice. It is not as spacious as my 2quickstep or ICAN but comes very close in terms of dynamics and has ample power to drive all my phones with ease.

 

Just for grins I bought a new Topping NX1 $35 portable amp for my own scientific reasons and another random DXetreme portable amp that was even cheaper for $30. So cheap I had to see how much sonics a $35 amp will throw out. Should be interesting.

 

 

Initially I thought my new Geek Out 450 drives FX850 very2 well, but when I replaced the FX850 cable with a DIY Shure balance cable, and use my Yulong Sabre DA8 + Sabre A28 (balance desktop amp) to drive the FX850 in balance, my jaw drop... very different experience, imaging suddenly open up, wider, clearer, more focus, with better dynamic and more realistic sounding!

 

Try to drive FX850 with balance amp, the improvement is quite significant :D

post #1423 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post
 

 

 I can point you out to some very excellent equivalents depending on your taste of sound flavor.. You like that big bold musical style of the FX850 but want to try Audio Technica's take on it.  That would be the ATH-CKR10..Best vocal rendition in the industry as far as I am concerned and even a lusher bass if that is possible.  Or if you want something more neutral with a silky engaging sound.. I highly recommend the ATH-M03 but with the cable upgrade AT offers.. I am loving the Nuforce Primo8 but the AT earphones offer a better value for the money for their given sound qualities.. If you don't mind spending a bit extra.. The Nuforce Primo 8 represents one of the best sounding 4 BAs. With the best isolation out of the bunch I suggested. You guys can read my thoughts on the Nuforce 8 on my signature or on the front page...I think it really comes down to ones own taste in sound to think any one of these earphones are "better" over the FX850.. Once you get to this level of sound performance all of them sound fantastic in their own way offering their own take on a particular flavor..

 

I like all of them equally to be honest. It really depends on my mood which phone gets ear time.  Hard not to love the FX850 every time I hear them. :ksc75smile:


Who's soundstage/imaging is the best though?

post #1424 of 3470
Thread Starter 

The FX850 has the best stage out of the ones I mentioned but if you want imaging it has to go to the Primo8...I find the ATH-IM03 with upgraded cable brings the ATH-Im03 to very similar levels of imaging as the Primo-8 however.. The Primo8 has the more forward midrange but also require a wider bore tip to bring out the highs more so in the mix of the sound...  Considering even with the upgraded cable for the IM03 this combo will be $100 less than the Primo8. The better value is the IM03 but only with the upgraded cables. I will explain more here. 

 

The IM03 without the cable upgrade is leans toward a warmer sound signature, Imaging and overall sound is not as good without the cable. Still sounds good but with the AT-HDC5/1.2 cable from AT it brings them to a level that many guys will probably not believe. In fact I recently let a good buddy borrow my IM03 with the cable installed on them and he was so impressed he will most likely buy a pair.. Some guys might actually prefer the sound of the AT-Im03 with cable upgrade over the FX850 depending on preference. They do lean more toward a neutral signature but not overly so. It has a silky smooth sound with great imaging that guys will definitely enjoy..

 

Primo8 imagery is excellent but require some tip rolling for optimum sound.. The IM03 has the better treble presence and has the edge for silkiness smoothness but the Primo 8 on sheer sound layering and imagery is more reference in sound quality. I think either way for imagery you can't go wrong.

post #1425 of 3470
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia View Post
 

 

 

Initially I thought my new Geek Out 450 drives FX850 very2 well, but when I replaced the FX850 cable with a DIY Shure balance cable, and use my Yulong Sabre DA8 + Sabre A28 (balance desktop amp) to drive the FX850 in balance, my jaw drop... very different experience, imaging suddenly open up, wider, clearer, more focus, with better dynamic and more realistic sounding!

 

Try to drive FX850 with balance amp, the improvement is quite significant :D

 

 This does not surprise me they scale really well to amping.. Guys that own the FX850 try some different amp configurations to throw the FX850 into overdrive. I am rediscovering the FX850s with my new ICAN.. Never sounded better to my ears.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)