or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) - Page 69

post #1021 of 3470
Thread Starter 

My pair has over a 1K hours of use and burn in. They sound marvelous. No weirdness of any kind.

 

If anything they sound better than they every have. Using them in my DX90 they sound amazing.


Edited by Dsnuts - 5/18/14 at 7:16pm
post #1022 of 3470
Well i did a long audition in a shop which has burnt it in. Haha well I don't quite know how to describe it so perhaps the way describe it doesn't quite match what i hear tongue.gif

And yes I definitely agree that the 850s are in no was worse than the 750s. I guess it really all boils down to preferences on the overall tone, and based on my reference systems (that I have heard) I guess the 750s sound tonally closer to me. That's why we have so many different earphones to cater to our different preferences tongue.gif

Also would it be possible to past the link of the comparison by james? smily_headphones1.gif I would like to see of what he says sort of matches what i hear smily_headphones1.gif thanks!
post #1023 of 3470

It's possible they weren't ripe yet, despite what the shop said... I really want to try the 850s with the DX90

post #1024 of 3470
Thread Starter 

Aha the inevitable shop demo.. I don't doubt what you heard my friend it is just that I trust less when people. DEMO them and not own them..I don't consider casual shop use as burn in. So unless that shop actually burned them in for two weeks straight. From the way your describing them they weren't burned in. I have too many good friends that own these and believe me none of their units sound like what your describing. In any case.   

 

The FX850 changes quite a bit on their sound signature from open box to a week to two weeks of burn in. Everything gets tighter and more refined as the burn in process goes along. If you read the previous posts of guys that post about their burn in process all of them say the same thing. The Bass tames down which makes the tone excellent on these and the treble also comes to life after a weeks worth of burn in. Where you heard that process I have no idea.

 

James says quite the opposite here. Says the FX750 sounds darker. Hmm

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/210#post_10454924  I do know he had the FX850 for longer than the FX750.. Again I know it is strange to think the sound characteristics change on these phones but they infact do and for the much better.


Edited by Dsnuts - 5/18/14 at 7:42pm
post #1025 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Aha the inevitable shop demo.. I don't doubt what you heard my friend it is just that I trust less when people. DEMO them and not own them..I don't consider casual shop use as burn in. So unless that shop actually burned them in for two weeks straight. From the way your describing them they weren't burned in. I have too many good friends that own these and believe me none of their units sound like what your describing. In any case.   

The FX850 changes quite a bit on their sound signature from open box to a week to two weeks of burn in. Everything gets tighter and more refined as the burn in process goes along. If you read the previous posts of guys that post about their burn in process all of them say the same thing. The Bass tames down which makes the tone excellent on thes and the treble also comes to life after a weeks worth of burn in. Where you heard that process I have no idea.

James says quite the opposite here. Says the FX750 sounds darker. Hmm

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/210#post_10454924  I do know he had the FX850 for longer than the FX750.. Again I know it is strange to think the sound characteristics change on these phones but they infact do..

Yep the shop that i demoed it in actually does specific burn in for each demo set. They actually run it in each night while customers demo it in the day smily_headphones1.gif in fact I did try it both before and after burn in and I very much agree with the changes you mentioned. However, the tone of the 850s did not suit me because perhaps of my current pair of earphones and the reference sound from high end systems which i remember (note remember not hear as I am sure auditory memory affects this too tongue.gif) which my current pair most closely resembles. No doubt the 850s are a fantastic earphone, its probably really just a matter of preference smily_headphones1.gif
post #1026 of 3470
In fact when i mentioned that the 850s sounded honky to me i did mean the upper mids. And the 750s do, to my ears, have a stronger more pronounces lower mid tone. So actually I think what I hear is actually well described by james having just read his impressions smily_headphones1.gif i think I don't describe sound well tongue.gif

And that more pronounced upper midrange in the 850s are whats bothering me, as they deviate from my memory of speaker setups smily_headphones1.gif
post #1027 of 3470
Thread Starter 

That is valid. Just the fact that a $100 lesser phone can have almost the same ability is a fantastic deal actually. I wouldn't mind trying out a FX750 myself as I am a huge fan of these woodies. Can't get enough of em..

post #1028 of 3470

If the 750s have a lower mid-tone emphasis and sound darker, then I am glad I got the 850s.

 

I find that the 850s have a lot of fullness below 300 Hz already, which works wonders with Jazz, Folk, Opera, small instrumental pieces with acoustic instruments... But with electronic music heavy on bass, the HM801 is just too warm and I have to use the EQ to tame 50Hz and 300Hz down a couple notches.

 

Sounds like the 750s might be a much better match with more neutral/colder sounding DAPs...

post #1029 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCDchee View Post

The fiio x5 with either the pico slim or the rsa shadow smily_headphones1.gif

 

The X5 does have a slight warmth to it and not sure if that is the best pairing for them honestly. I use the S-mod with silver cable LOD which leans out the bass more and adds more treble extension. Still bassy but good quality. The mids also are taken back just slightly. I don't find them honky at all though...

post #1030 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

The X5 does have a slight warmth to it and not sure if that is the best pairing for them honestly. I use the S-mod with silver cable LOD which leans out the bass more and adds more treble extension. Still bassy but good quality. The mids also are taken back just slightly. I don't find them honky at all though...

I find that the x5 amp stage is what gives it the warm colouration. With something like pico slim it makes it slightly bright actually. And its not the lower mids which i have a problem with as i mentioned. Its the upper mids smily_headphones1.gif
post #1031 of 3470

Hmm that's interesting. Well we all do hear things differently :P. I tend to be sensitive to the upper mid and lower treble region. My pair of 850s haven't been an issue there. It actually fixed what I didn't like on the FX700s. There was too much recession in that area before and the treble was a bit hot and less refined. So you don't find the X5 to add emphasis in the upper mids with the amp or without? This is one of the very reasons why I find the Flat 4 Suis to pair extremely well on the X5. Anyways back on topic, I found amping the demo unit I had to add emphasis in this area. It made for a colder sound. The 850s themselves are a tad mid-centric and the X5 will add to that.

 

The nice thing with the X5 is I didn't feel like I needed to use it amped though vs the HO. Generally when I'd amp I would find the HO better in most cases. The X5 is one of those rare cases where I liked both on par. With the DX100 she was always strapped to an amp lol.


Edited by lee730 - 5/18/14 at 9:54pm
post #1032 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Hmm that's interesting. Well we all do hear things differently :P. I tend to be sensitive to the upper mid and lower treble region. My pair of 850s haven't been an issue there. It actually fixed what I didn't like on the FX700s. There was too much recession in that area before and the treble was a bit hot and less refined. So you don't find the X5 to add emphasis in the upper mids with the amp or without? This is one of the very reasons why I find the Flat 4 Suis to pair extremely well on the X5. Anyways back on topic, I found amping the demo unit I had to add emphasis in this area. It made for a colder sound. The 850s themselves are a tad mid-centric and the X5 will add to that.

The nice thing with the X5 is I didn't feel like I needed to use it amped though vs the HO. Generally when I'd amp I would find the HO better in most cases. The X5 is one of those rare cases where I liked both on par. With the DX100 she was always strapped to an amp lol.

Yes we do tongue.gif I for one never use my x5 unamped, far preferring the use of either the pico slim for classical or rsa shadow for vocal tracks. I guess a lot of it also depends on what we look for in music. I personally like a large spacious open sound with powerful dynamics to back it up and lots of separation with each sound occupying a distinct space well demarcated both laterally and in terms of height and depth. That I find the x5 unable to give me. but enough of the x5 before we leas this thread off topic smily_headphones1.gif
post #1033 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCDchee View Post


Yes we do tongue.gif I for one never use my x5 unamped, far preferring the use of either the pico slim for classical or rsa shadow for vocal tracks. I guess a lot of it also depends on what we look for in music. I personally like a large spacious open sound with powerful dynamics to back it up and lots of separation with each sound occupying a distinct space well demarcated both laterally and in terms of height and depth. That I find the x5 unable to give me. but enough of the x5 before we leas this thread off topic smily_headphones1.gif

 

I don't use the 850s with the X5 as they don't pair well together to my ears. The AK120 S-mod brings me what you mention of distinction of each note, with powerful dynamics and spaciousness. But depending on if I want to take that to the extreme I'd then use the 1Plus2 or SE5 :). The 850s for me are more so for enjoyment and not focusing too much on the details. Not that they are not there though. I find the 850s to excel particularly in gaming.


Edited by lee730 - 5/18/14 at 10:18pm
post #1034 of 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

 

I don't use the 850s with the X5 as they don't pair well together to my ears. The AK120 S-mod brings me what you mention of distinction of each note, with powerful dynamics and spaciousness. But depending on if I want to take that to the extreme I'd then use the 1Plus2 or SE5 :). The 850s for me are more so for enjoyment and not focusing too much on the details. Not that they are not there though. I find the 850s to excel particularly in gaming.

 

It's good for gaming? That sounds interesting since I game a lot. In which aspect does it excel for you in gaming? 3D surround soundstage? Explosive bass?

post #1035 of 3470
Just collected my pair and had a little time with them. It's a keeper for sure as it looks and sound really really good to my ears. Happy camper here and thanks to all the folks here for the subjective and objective views and impressions leading to my ownership of my first pair of woodie.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)