or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Cheap computer 2.1 setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheap computer 2.1 setup

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hello guys,

 

The idea is to have a little amp driving 2 speakers and a sub so I can give sound to the movies I'll be sending to a 32" TV from my computer.

 

I have never assembled a setup like this one, now, another thing that might be an issue is that im outside the U.S so buying used might be a high risk for me.

 

If you think that I would be better off just buying computer speakers let me know, i'm open to any ideas.

 

The budget is super low unfortunately, I can just spend around 150-200 dollars for the setup, keep in mind that anything cheaper is welcomed! :P.

 

Thanks guys!.

post #2 of 10

Hmmm, how about Pioneer BS22 speakers, a used receiver on craigslist, maybe a used subwoofer? You can probably haggle the prices a bit for used gear.

post #3 of 10

To get what you want for that money you'd have to go used.

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks for both responses guys.

 

I'll take a look around to see what I can find used nationally. I'm not really comfortable buying used from outside the country.

 

I was also looking at theses options.

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2 powered by http://www.amazon.com/Tripath-TPA3123-Stereo-Amplifier-Supply/dp/B008YBC172/

 

Or even these http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393855171&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch+promedia+2.1

 

Anyone used any of these devices that can give me an honest inside on them?.

 

Thanks again guys.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuComer View Post

 

The budget is super low unfortunately, I can just spend around 150-200 dollars for the setup, keep in mind that anything cheaper is welcomed! :P.

 

If you think that I would be better off just buying computer speakers let me know, i'm open to any ideas.

 

 

Add a bit more on that budget and you get a really good pair of computer speakers designed much more like Hi-Fi speakers - wood cabinets instead of plastic housings, including the satellites.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-m50w-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system&cPath=21_24&products_id=167&osCsid=342c670f787aa6b1c8e8e04908697166

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

 

Add a bit more on that budget and you get a really good pair of computer speakers designed much more like Hi-Fi speakers - wood cabinets instead of plastic housings, including the satellites.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-m50w-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system&cPath=21_24&products_id=167&osCsid=342c670f787aa6b1c8e8e04908697166

Thanks!,

 

I'll look into that.

post #7 of 10

I'm interested in this as well and I found this video earlier today . In the description he has a link to a stereo amplifier on amazon for $20 that can power 2 bookshelf speakers + sub and he shows how he connects everything. This is all pretty new to me as I just decided I wanted to upgrade my logitech 2.1 computer speakers since the output gets very fuzzy and unbalanced when I mess with the volume. But as you can see in the video, that little $20 amp apparently can bring life to a 2.1 so all you would need is to find a set of speakers and sub in your price range.

post #8 of 10

Meh, I think the a used pair of Klipsch iFis off ebay is a better value than the Swan M50s.

post #9 of 10
I'd go for the Miccas and a used audio/video receiver. Then add a sub when you can afford it smily_headphones1.gif
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post

I'm interested in this as well and I found this video earlier today . In the description he has a link to a stereo amplifier on amazon for $20 that can power 2 bookshelf speakers + sub and he shows how he connects everything. This is all pretty new to me as I just decided I wanted to upgrade my logitech 2.1 computer speakers since the output gets very fuzzy and unbalanced when I mess with the volume. But as you can see in the video, that little $20 amp apparently can bring life to a 2.1 so all you would need is to find a set of speakers and sub in your price range.

Just gonna nit-pick a bit in the hopes it helps somebody:

  • That small amp isn't powering the sub, the sub is active (has it's own amp)
  • The way he set it up is pretty bad for a few reasons:
    • Lots of unnecessary cables and splitters
    • No crossover

The sub he is using has speaker-level inputs and a crossover. What he should have done was use speaker cable from the amp to the sub which will then use the built-in crossover (which even has a dial to adjust it) and then use the speaker-level outputs on the sub to the speakers. This method will sound better and use less cable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Cheap computer 2.1 setup