or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Best settings for perfect audio quality
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best settings for perfect audio quality

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

OS is Windows 7. Control Panel -> Sound -> Properties -> Advanced tab

 

Questions are:

 

Default format: What should I select here? [ 16/24bit ] [44.1/96kHz]

 

 

Shared mode VS Exclusive mode - What should I use?

 

 

Resampling will screw my quality, so what do I do in order to get the best audio playback?

post #2 of 28

Stop shouting.

 

And listen.

 

Or read.

 

Been covered.

 

Lots.

post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferRising View Post
 

OS is Windows 7. Control Panel -> Sound -> Properties -> Advanced tab

 

Questions are:

 

Default format: What should I select here? [ 16/24bit ] [44.1/96kHz]

 

 

Shared mode VS Exclusive mode - What should I use?

 

 

mpling will screw my quality, so what do I do in order to get the best audio playback?

I just leave mine at 24-Bit/96Khz.

post #4 of 28
post #5 of 28

You have to re-sample at some point, unless you plan on modifying your Windows output sample rate every time you change your source between games, movies, and music.

post #6 of 28

Use WASAPI and its irrelevant.

post #7 of 28

"Perfect audio quality" starts with having good audio gear, not tweaking settings in Windows Contol Panel.

post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 

So you mean, whatever I select in the settings I will lose quality due to resampling? I don't really care about games, I just want to listen to my lossless music the way it's intended to be listened to.

post #9 of 28
No, if you use WASAPI exclusive mode it should automatically change the output sample rate and bit depth to match the source when the track starts playing. If you play a sample rate and\or bit depth that your DAC\Soundcard doesn't support you will get a WASAPI error. WASAPI exclusive will bypass the settings in the control panel.
Edited by A_Man_Eating_Duck - 3/3/14 at 1:43pm
post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck View Post

No, if you use WASAPI exclusive mode it should automatically change the output sample rate and bit depth to match the source when the track starts playing. If you play a sample rate and\or bit depth that your DAC\Soundcard doesn't support you will get a WASAPI error. WASAPI exclusive will bypass the settings in the control panel.

Do I get to be able to listen to system sounds/other sounds though? It's important that my PC notifies me about anything important.

post #11 of 28
Nope, you will only be able to hear the one application that is using WASAPI exclusive mode.

If you want to be able to hear system sounds then you have 2 choices, Direct sound or WASAPI Shared. resampling will occur based on what output settings you select in the control panel > sound. Whether or not you can hear the resampling is something you'll need to test.
post #12 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck View Post

Nope, you will only be able to hear the one application that is using WASAPI exclusive mode.

If you want to be able to hear system sounds then you have 2 choices, Direct sound or WASAPI Shared. resampling will occur based on what output settings you select in the control panel > sound. Whether or not you can hear the resampling is something you'll need to test.


I'm using DS as of now am I not?

post #13 of 28
You can use either DS or WASAPI Shared.
post #14 of 28

Just select whatever your highest quality music is, or whatever the max is that your gear supports. I really doubt you'll hear a difference, but you could do blind tests if you want to. I don't bother with WASAPI since it stops anything else making sound and it doesn't sound any different to me.

post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Man_Eating_Duck View Post

No, if you use WASAPI exclusive mode it should automatically change the output sample rate and bit depth to match the source when the track starts playing. If you play a sample rate and\or bit depth that your DAC\Soundcard doesn't support you will get a WASAPI error. WASAPI exclusive will bypass the settings in the control panel.

 

I do like the idea of WASAPI automatically adjusting the sample rate. But I would avoid upsampling. IMO there is no benefit, and may actually make the music sound worse.

 

Bob Graham

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Best settings for perfect audio quality