I love the way my Alpha Dogs sound except for the noticeable microphonics and cable thump. It can be quite prominent and causes me to listen at higher levels than I likely normally would. The heavy cable that comes with the ADs seems like it should be well shielded - although I'm not certain of the cause for the mechanical noises. Does anyone else experience this, and if so have you discovered a cure?
- productMrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by nightmancometh, 3/5/14
Related Forum Threads
- Portable/Battery powered amps with 1/4 inch jack Last post on Yesterday at 3:14 am in Portable Headphone Amps
- I am looking for upper class gaming Headphones? Which one? I posted some ideas. Last post on Today at 12:53 am in Video Games Discussion
- m4u 1 vs. a900x vs. t50rp Last post on 9/2/14 at 7:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best sounding driver ? Last post on 8/30/14 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for the commute Last post on 8/4/14 at 1:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok before...
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included...
Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs cable microphonics
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes, I experience this as well. I try not to move the cable around to much while listening, other than that an after market (custom) cable would be the best solution and might even further improve sound quality. But I do agree that the micro phonics can be annoying.
The noise is still there with the two cables I have tried. It must be something about the way the phones themselves are designed. It's annoying, but no so annoying that it keeps me from thinking the ADs are the best sounding headphones I've tried yet.
Stock Mr.Speakers cable and Q-Audio French Silk custom cable. Both exhibit bad microphonics. There is no electrical noise in my system, by the way. All the noise I hear is being caused by mechanical movement of the headphone cable rubbing on my clothing. So far the most effective solution has been to clip the cable at the split to my shirt, or to sit like my head is in a vice and not move it. Very annoying. None of my other headphones or IEMs have been this bad so it must be a byproduct of the Alpha Dog design. If they didn't sound so darn amazing otherwise I would be replacing them..
With no program playing, wear the Alpha Dogs. Move the cable around. Rub in on your shirt. Hear that? That's what I'm talking about, not noise in the system. And if you hear nothing, then I want to know the make and model of the cable you are using.
Edited by Ableza - 8/16/14 at 11:50am
Ah ok mechanical vibrational noise transmitted through the cable to the cups. the cable i have mentioned is my ext cable and it is not transmitting any vibrations at all. however, in the next week or so i will have a full custom cable made up then i can tell you if there are any vibrations as i have a metal double female 6.3 mm plug between the AD cable and the ext cable
Colloquially. Technically, it's called "cable-borne noise." "Microphonic" is used for tubes and other active components. Either way, it's annoying as hell.
Edited by Claritas - 8/16/14 at 1:21pm
- Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs cable microphonics
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 26 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 3 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 5 minutes ago
- › Harmon Kardon Harkar BT or...HD 598 or ATH50? 5 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem? 6 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 7 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 7 minutes ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)