I love the way my Alpha Dogs sound except for the noticeable microphonics and cable thump. It can be quite prominent and causes me to listen at higher levels than I likely normally would. The heavy cable that comes with the ADs seems like it should be well shielded - although I'm not certain of the cause for the mechanical noises. Does anyone else experience this, and if so have you discovered a cure?
- productMrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by nightmancometh, 3/5/14
Related Forum Threads
- New York Audio Show 2014 Last post on 9/28/14 at 9:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? Last post on 9/24/14 at 2:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for gym use Last post on 9/22/14 at 3:49pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Portable/Battery powered amps with 1/4 inch jack Last post on 9/19/14 at 12:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- I am looking for upper class gaming Headphones? Which one? I posted some ideas. Last post on 9/24/14 at 8:18am in Video Games Discussion
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
i know you already read the threads full of people talking about how nice is this earphone. i know they're all talking about how cheap and bang for buck it is and which one is the original and...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs cable microphonics
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Yes, I experience this as well. I try not to move the cable around to much while listening, other than that an after market (custom) cable would be the best solution and might even further improve sound quality. But I do agree that the micro phonics can be annoying.
The noise is still there with the two cables I have tried. It must be something about the way the phones themselves are designed. It's annoying, but no so annoying that it keeps me from thinking the ADs are the best sounding headphones I've tried yet.
Stock Mr.Speakers cable and Q-Audio French Silk custom cable. Both exhibit bad microphonics. There is no electrical noise in my system, by the way. All the noise I hear is being caused by mechanical movement of the headphone cable rubbing on my clothing. So far the most effective solution has been to clip the cable at the split to my shirt, or to sit like my head is in a vice and not move it. Very annoying. None of my other headphones or IEMs have been this bad so it must be a byproduct of the Alpha Dog design. If they didn't sound so darn amazing otherwise I would be replacing them..
With no program playing, wear the Alpha Dogs. Move the cable around. Rub in on your shirt. Hear that? That's what I'm talking about, not noise in the system. And if you hear nothing, then I want to know the make and model of the cable you are using.
Edited by Ableza - 8/16/14 at 11:50am
Ah ok mechanical vibrational noise transmitted through the cable to the cups. the cable i have mentioned is my ext cable and it is not transmitting any vibrations at all. however, in the next week or so i will have a full custom cable made up then i can tell you if there are any vibrations as i have a metal double female 6.3 mm plug between the AD cable and the ext cable
Colloquially. Technically, it's called "cable-borne noise." "Microphonic" is used for tubes and other active components. Either way, it's annoying as hell.
Edited by Claritas - 8/16/14 at 1:21pm
- Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs cable microphonics
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Music Game IX 35 seconds ago
- › I got a Denon AVR-2802 for free. Worth building a system around it? 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Suggest me a headphone under 150 $ 1 minute ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 1 minute ago
- › Roll Call for Team AKG 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator 2 minutes ago
- › ROCK JAW Testers 2 minutes ago
- › alessandro ms2i no clamping force? 3 minutes ago
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by vaziyetu
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › Review before you send an email
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3