Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › POLL: Which amp should I use with the Senn 598's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

POLL: Which amp should I use with the Senn 598's?

Poll Results: Which amp should I use with the Sennheiser HD 598's?

 
  • 0% (0)
    Audioengine D1 Amp/DAC
  • 100% (5)
    O2 Amp+Schiit Modi
5 Total Votes  
post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, I realize that I've done made a similar thread to this but this time, I've narrowed my amp/DAC choices to only two. Should I get the Audioengine D1 or the O2 amp with the Schiit Modi? I would prefer an amp that can scale to something higher, such as the Sennheiser HD 600's and can still sound good with it. My preference of the sound signature is mainly to just increase the detail, musicality and such of my HD 598's, though I'd love it if there was farther bass extension and slight emphasis on the bass to give it a little punch.

 

However, it really doesn't matter as long as it sounds good with the headphones and can scale over time so if I upgrade my headphones, I won't be in a hurry. Anyone who has tried either of these amp/DACs (including the Schiit combo or the JDS O2 combo) or who has compared them that could give me some comparisons between the two would be most appreciative.

 

I am not in particular looking for other options, but if there is another great option, I'd be glad to hear it! (no tube amps or FiiOs though, please! I'd rather not keep buying new tubes and I have tried the FiiO E17, I thought it was pretty good for the price but it's not what I'm looking for.) 

 

 

Thank you in the future, for all your help!

 

EDIT: My source will be my laptop and desktop.


Edited by Garraty - 2/27/14 at 8:07pm
post #2 of 25
In my experience HD598s don't change all that much with amping. If you desire a slight change in it's frequency response, use a software parametric EQ. Don't worry about signal integrity and 'omg did he just suggest EQ, that's evil!' That's just nonsense when you are trying to wring out performance on a budget. I'd only bother with a DAC and amp if your computer sources are too noisy (static/buzz/etc).

Save the money you want to spend, and use it on those scaling items you mentioned.
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

In my experience HD598s don't change all that much with amping. If you desire a slight change in it's frequency response, use a software parametric EQ. Don't worry about signal integrity and 'omg did he just suggest EQ, that's evil!' That's just nonsense when you are trying to wring out performance on a budget. I'd only bother with a DAC and amp if your computer sources are too noisy (static/buzz/etc).

Save the money you want to spend, and use it on those scaling items you mentioned.

 

I agree with this. It sounds as if you might prefer a better Sennheiser for the clarity, and especially HD650 for the bass. O2 will amp them both, though you might want a more powerful adapter if you listen at higher volumes. 

post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

I agree with this. It sounds as if you might prefer a better Sennheiser for the clarity, and especially HD650 for the bass. O2 will amp them both, though you might want a more powerful adapter if you listen at higher volumes. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

In my experience HD598s don't change all that much with amping. If you desire a slight change in it's frequency response, use a software parametric EQ. Don't worry about signal integrity and 'omg did he just suggest EQ, that's evil!' That's just nonsense when you are trying to wring out performance on a budget. I'd only bother with a DAC and amp if your computer sources are too noisy (static/buzz/etc).

Save the money you want to spend, and use it on those scaling items you mentioned.

 

As much as I would love to buy new gear, I would not have enough money. Additionally, I've been enjoying the HD 598's for almost two months and I'd rather not upgrade so quickly.

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 

Bump.

post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 

Bump.

post #7 of 25
post #8 of 25

What are you trying to fix?

 

The O2 gives fuller body and improves soundstage somewhat.

post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

What are you trying to fix?

 

The O2 gives fuller body and improves soundstage somewhat.

 

Hey Claritas,

 

I'm trying to give the HD 598's a bit more body- I've tried an amp or two and though by no means, the HD 598's sound thin, an amp helps give the phones a bit more body. Besides that, I'm hoping to get slightly more punch in the sub-bass, which is the one small con I have with this phone. But as I have said before, as long as it helps my sound at a reasonable price and can scale fairly well with phones like the HD 600 or HE-400, I'll be happy.

 

Thanks!

post #10 of 25

O2 helped with that for me and will scale as you desire.

 

Regarding it's capacity to handle higher impedance, mine is set to the lowest possible gain (1.0/2.5x) because I listen at low volumes, and I can drive K340 (400 ohms) on high gain at 10-1 o'clock. So a normal O2 (2.5/6.5x) should have no problem whatsoever. There has been some disagreement about how good it sounds driving 600 ohms models such T1, http://www.head-fi.org/t/707169/can-the-o2-amp-fully-drive-the-beyerdynamic-t1. I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking that it might depend on how loud one listens.

 

Why are you thinking of O2+Modi instead of the O2+ODAC combo, apart from the $40 difference?

post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

O2 helped with that for me and will scale as you desire.

 

Regarding it's capacity to handle higher impedance, mine is set to the lowest possible gain (1.0/2.5x) because I listen at low volumes, and I can drive K340 (400 ohms) on high gain at 10-1 o'clock. So a normal O2 (2.5/6.5x) should have no problem whatsoever. There has been some disagreement about how good it sounds driving 600 ohms models such T1, http://www.head-fi.org/t/707169/can-the-o2-amp-fully-drive-the-beyerdynamic-t1. I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking that it might depend on how loud one listens.

 

Why are you thinking of O2+Modi instead of the O2+ODAC combo, apart from the $40 difference?

 

Well, I've heard from tdockweiler and a few other claims from various people who have owned/tried both combinations or mixed sets that the Modi is better then the ODAC and I've heard even more claims that the O2 amp is better than the Magni. I know the difference will be negligible but hey, why not? :D 


Edited by Garraty - 3/1/14 at 8:47pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garraty View Post
 

Well, I've heard from tdockweiler and a few other claims from various people who have owned/tried both combinations or mixed sets that the Modi is better then the ODAC and I've heard even more claims that the O2 amp is better than the Magni. I know the difference will be negligible but hey, why not? :D 

 

Better in what way?

post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

Better in what way?

 

*this is all from tdockweiler's review of the Schiit Modi* (http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-modi/reviews/8617)

 

"Slightly better Soundstage on the Modi. The Modi seems to have better depth and height, but other than this it seems the same size or very close."

 

"Much easier to pinpoint the exact position of instruments on the Modi compared to the ODAC. This for me was very noticeable."

 

"The Modi to MY EARS sounds a little smoother. I know they both measure flat. The ODAC sounds slightly more shouty at times."

 

"Again, I want to point out that the differences are very minor and almost nit-picking. To my ears, the Modi sounds similar to the ODAC but with some slight improvements. With my setup the Modi is maybe just about 5% better." 

 

This is all subjective of course and tdockweiler has said "Might sound .000005% better with the ODAC compared to the Modi. Modi and ODAC sound nearly identical to ME." I have seen other claims of this but I can't be bothered to do show now. In any case, if there is a small difference, negative or not, they should sound nearly the same.


Edited by Garraty - 3/1/14 at 9:11pm
post #14 of 25

Interesting. Thanks.

post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

O2 helped with that for me and will scale as you desire.

 

Regarding it's capacity to handle higher impedance, mine is set to the lowest possible gain (1.0/2.5x) because I listen at low volumes, and I can drive K340 (400 ohms) on high gain at 10-1 o'clock. So a normal O2 (2.5/6.5x) should have no problem whatsoever. There has been some disagreement about how good it sounds driving 600 ohms models such T1, http://www.head-fi.org/t/707169/can-the-o2-amp-fully-drive-the-beyerdynamic-t1. I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking that it might depend on how loud one listens.

 

Why are you thinking of O2+Modi instead of the O2+ODAC combo, apart from the $40 difference?

 

Hey Claritas,

 

Just wondering, how well will the O2 amp drive the HD 600's or similar headphones of that sensitivity and impedance? I know when I do upgrade, there will be better amps out there but I'm just wondering if it could nonetheless drive them to their full potential.

 

Thanks once again!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › POLL: Which amp should I use with the Senn 598's?