Just talking about sound quality of the two dacs here. Has anybody had a chance to compare these two. After looking at stuff a long time I think it has come down to one of these. I saw some posts on the DC-1 forum but I am thinking those people may be a bit biased. Stat and feature wise the DC-1 is the clear winner but stats never tell the whole story with audio equipment.
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by dbsaffor, 3/3/14
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by dbsaffor, 3/3/14
Related Forum Threads
- Best ~$600 USB DAC? Last post on 9/18/14 at 6:24pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Yulong D200 32bit 384KHz DSD DAC Last post on 7/8/14 at 10:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best amp dac combo unit under $1000 Last post on Today at 3:04 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD650's looking for a new headphone amp Last post on 2/22/15 at 7:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Schiit stack wanted! - Bitfrost + Amp (See inside) Last post on 1/21/15 at 8:36am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
UberBifrost vs Emo DC-1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I was hoping for a few more replies to this thread as I'm trying to make the same decision. I think in the end a lot of it comes down to whether or not you need all of the additional connections the DC-1 offers. However, I am curious to know if anyone has had a chance to hear these two DAC's side by side and compare the sound.
You really shouldn't hear difference between DAC anyway.
I have UberBifrost and had Emo DC-1 for a while, the main difference I noticed was the bass impact, bifrost had a more detailed low range; while the highs were more clear and precise.
The difference is very small though, you need to switch between these DAC many a times to notice the difference. DC-1 is smooth and both are winners, they are good DAC in price range.
google "emotiva dc-1 vs schiit" you will more comparison, not sure I would be allowed to link them here.
I agree with that. There was that big dac recent thread where it was found some of the dacs, including the DC-1, were virtually indistinguishable from each other.
The killer feature of the DC-1 for me, being primarily a speakers user, is that is has an analogue preamp, and great value at $500. The main thing putting me off is its C-media driver cannot be used with JPLAY because it doesn't support Kernal Streaming, which I use. Seems like a no-go for JPLAY and Audiophile Optimiser users.
I also have reservations about whether the DC-1 will sound slightly on the 'polite' side, but that's just from a couple or comments I've noticed.
Edited by BrainFood - 4/21/14 at 9:31am
I ended up with the Uber Bifrost, as was already mentioned, mostly because the bass is just tighter and more detailed. Someday I would like to get a DC-1 as well, I love the display and the fact you can run RCA or Balanced out of it. Much more versatile unit than the Bifrost. Plus it has those headphone outputs built in. I didn't get to listen to them in the store very long but they didn't sound terrible. Might even sound pretty good with the right phones.
- UberBifrost vs Emo DC-1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › AUDIO GD DSD Playback (for all supported models) 54 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Magni vs. Magni 2. 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2