Just talking about sound quality of the two dacs here. Has anybody had a chance to compare these two. After looking at stuff a long time I think it has come down to one of these. I saw some posts on the DC-1 forum but I am thinking those people may be a bit biased. Stat and feature wise the DC-1 is the clear winner but stats never tell the whole story with audio equipment.
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by dbsaffor, 3/3/14
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by dbsaffor, 3/3/14
Related Forum Threads
- Best ~$600 USB DAC? Last post on 9/18/14 at 6:24pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Yulong D200 32bit 384KHz DSD DAC Last post on 7/8/14 at 10:32pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Are there headphones that work with glasses? Last post on 9/15/14 at 7:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit Bifrost Uber with USB 2.0 AND Schiit Valhalla with extra set of tubes Last post on 8/15/14 at 6:41pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Headphone Amp with Bookshelf Speaker outputs Last post on 6/26/14 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
UberBifrost vs Emo DC-1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I was hoping for a few more replies to this thread as I'm trying to make the same decision. I think in the end a lot of it comes down to whether or not you need all of the additional connections the DC-1 offers. However, I am curious to know if anyone has had a chance to hear these two DAC's side by side and compare the sound.
You really shouldn't hear difference between DAC anyway.
I have UberBifrost and had Emo DC-1 for a while, the main difference I noticed was the bass impact, bifrost had a more detailed low range; while the highs were more clear and precise.
The difference is very small though, you need to switch between these DAC many a times to notice the difference. DC-1 is smooth and both are winners, they are good DAC in price range.
google "emotiva dc-1 vs schiit" you will more comparison, not sure I would be allowed to link them here.
I agree with that. There was that big dac recent thread where it was found some of the dacs, including the DC-1, were virtually indistinguishable from each other.
The killer feature of the DC-1 for me, being primarily a speakers user, is that is has an analogue preamp, and great value at $500. The main thing putting me off is its C-media driver cannot be used with JPLAY because it doesn't support Kernal Streaming, which I use. Seems like a no-go for JPLAY and Audiophile Optimiser users.
I also have reservations about whether the DC-1 will sound slightly on the 'polite' side, but that's just from a couple or comments I've noticed.
Edited by BrainFood - 4/21/14 at 9:31am
I ended up with the Uber Bifrost, as was already mentioned, mostly because the bass is just tighter and more detailed. Someday I would like to get a DC-1 as well, I love the display and the fact you can run RCA or Balanced out of it. Much more versatile unit than the Bifrost. Plus it has those headphone outputs built in. I didn't get to listen to them in the store very long but they didn't sound terrible. Might even sound pretty good with the right phones.
- UberBifrost vs Emo DC-1
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 39 seconds ago
- › CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread 40 seconds ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-29 (Single Ended Master Race lol) 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 321 IEMs compared (NarMoo S1 added 09/04/14 p. 966) 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Sub-100 euro in-ear headphones 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 4 minutes ago
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)