or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Connect HDMI or TOSLINK optical cable for audio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Connect HDMI or TOSLINK optical cable for audio

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

Which would you chose to connect your computer to an AV receiver, connect from Computer HDMI-out to HDM- in on receiver? Or would you connect from computer to ASUS USB DAC, then from ASUS spdif out port using TOSLINK optical cable  to receiver's optical input. I think they should be the same as far as digital data is concerned. Computer has about 100gb of my audio collection in flac format. With HDMI to HDMI, I will use the receiver's DAC and using the optical I will be using the DAC from the ASUS USB, if I understand this correctly. Does it make any difference?

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by framos917 View Post
 

Which would you chose to connect your computer to an AV receiver, connect from Computer HDMI-out to HDM- in on receiver? Or would you connect from computer to ASUS USB DAC, then from ASUS spdif out port using TOSLINK optical cable  to receiver's optical input. I think they should be the same as far as digital data is concerned. Computer has about 100gb of my audio collection in flac format. With HDMI to HDMI, I will use the receiver's DAC and using the optical I will be using the DAC from the ASUS USB, if I understand this correctly. Does it make any difference?

Asus USB DAC??

 

You would be using the receiver's DAC, with both the HDMI and optical connections.

The optical and HDMI are digital audio signals (pre-DAC)

With 2-channel music audio, the HDMI and optical will offer the same audio quality.

If you were playing a Blu-ray movies with 5.1 or 7.1 audio, HDMI would be the preferred connection.

Blu-ray 5.1 movie, using optical, using (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect, would be second choice.

post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Asus USB DAC??

 

You would be using the receiver's DAC, with both the HDMI and optical connections.

The optical and HDMI are digital audio signals (pre-DAC)

With 2-channel music audio, the HDMI and optical will offer the same audio quality.

If you were playing a Blu-ray movies with 5.1 or 7.1 audio, HDMI would be the preferred connection.

Blu-ray 5.1 movie, using optical, using (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect, would be second choice.


Yes, it is the ASUS Xonar USB U3. Thanks for his information. Since I am doing this connection, just for audio and 2 channel music, I think I will do the optical connect. Thanks again.

post #4 of 6

This is one of my main issues with headfi - everyone says 'get a DAC' and half the people don't even know what a DAC is.

If you're connecting to a receiver using a digital cable you will be using the DAC in the receiver.

I suggest HDMI is a good option since it has more bandwidth if you need it in future.

post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by framos917 View Post
 


Yes, it is the ASUS Xonar USB U3. Thanks for his information. Since I am doing this connection, just for audio and 2 channel music, I think I will do the optical connect. Thanks again.

Your using a USB sound card, it shares some features with a USB DAC, but the U3 is usually called a USB sound card.

post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Your using a USB sound card, it shares some features with a USB DAC, but the U3 is usually called a USB sound card.


Again, most helpful. I have been spending some time on the forum attempting to learn more about this subject. your information is appreciated.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Connect HDMI or TOSLINK optical cable for audio