Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for possible headphone upgrades.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for possible headphone upgrades.

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Im not well versed with the whole Ohms, impedance, and everything that surrounds it(its not ignorance to not learn its just not my cup of tea). So bear with me.


About 4-5 months ago I impulsed bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 201s for 15$. Up until before that I used "gaming headsets" and I didn't really know better or the difference. Headphones were headphones as far as I was concerned. After receiving my Senns and plugging them into my TEAC AG-V1050 A/V Receiver how I experienced audio changed forever. I can never go back to what I was using before


Bascially what im looking for is an incremental upgrade to my 201s. From what I was reading around the 201s have a neutral sound stage and its generally better to have headphones that have a neutral sound stage. I also want to stay closed end as well if possible. Price range im looking at is anywhere from 50-150$. I also don't want any headphones that have a clampy feeling as I wear my headphones pretty much all day and I love how light the 201s are on my head(I literally don't even realize they're there sometimes). It would also be awesome if the headphones were also forgiving to lower quality audio as i've heard and even noticed myself that the 201s aren't very forgiving to low quality audio.

My main music genres:
Melodic Death Metal: (Amom Amarth, Satariel, Kalmah, Amorphis)
Metal: (Rammstein, Disturbed, Slipknot, Metallica, 5FDP)
Lots of 80's stuff.
Progressive house, Techno, Trance, Wubstep.

Those are what I mostly listen to about 90% of the time. The other 10% is everything else(I like all genres its just I prefer those over everything else)

What they're going to be plugged into will be a TEAC AG-V1050 A/V Receiver. I cant find any type of documentation on it, I only know its older then I am(I was born in 92). I think at least. If I have to get a new DAC/Amp that's fine, but I don't want to be going over 150$.

I also have no means of getting to a place to test headphones in a store.

post #2 of 11

The Teac V1050 appears to be an old Stereo Cassette Player (not an A/V receiver).

Sennheiser HD558 (used $94 Amazon) might work.

Used AKG K612 Pro might be selling with in your budget. 

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

The Teac V1050 appears to be an old Stereo Cassette Player (not an A/V receiver).

Id post a pic, but im not allowed apparently. It says Audio/Video receiver right on it so I dunno bout that.

http://www.retagit.com/Picture.aspx?width=700&height=700&id=15009573

Its that. Though I have taken much much better care of mine then that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

 

Sennheiser HD558 (used $94 Amazon) might work.

Used AKG K612 Pro might be selling with in your budget. 

The 558's were actually something I was considering, but I wasn't so sure on that. Ill look into the AKG's. Another recommendation I got were the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO. Not sure what you would say on that though.


Edited by Mailman377 - 2/26/14 at 11:45pm
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Sennheiser HD558 (used $94 Amazon) might work.

Used AKG K612 Pro might be selling with in your budget. 

The 558's were something I was considering. Ill have to look into the AKG's. I was got a recommendation Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO. Its slightly outside my budget, but im not so sure on them.

Oh and anything I do buy ill be buying new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

The Teac V1050 appears to be an old Stereo Cassette Player (not an A/V receiver).

 

It says Audio/Video receiver on it. I would link or pic it, but the restrictions wont allow me.


Edited by Mailman377 - 2/26/14 at 11:58pm
post #5 of 11

With all the metal you listen to, you should try and check out some Grados.  I have more neutral headphones, but something about the Grados and heavy music just work together so well.

 

They are pretty common as well so you may have a dealer local to you where you can go and check them out.  Though since you don't seem to mention listening to stuff at a local shop you may not have one.  But if you haven't looked, you really should.  No substitute for hearing them yourself! 

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhiel View Post
 

With all the metal you listen to, you should try and check out some Grados.  I have more neutral headphones, but something about the Grados and heavy music just work together so well.

 

They are pretty common as well so you may have a dealer local to you where you can go and check them out.  Though since you don't seem to mention listening to stuff at a local shop you may not have one.  But if you haven't looked, you really should.  No substitute for hearing them yourself! 

Its a combination of probably not having one and having no means of getting there (my work schedule is all over the place and I don't have a vehicle).

Which Grados specifically are we talking about here though? Or is just any one of them within my price range?

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman377 View Post
 

Its a combination of probably not having one and having no means of getting there (my work schedule is all over the place and I don't have a vehicle).

Which Grados specifically are we talking about here though? Or is just any one of them within my price range?

 

Grados for the most part have a very strong family sound.  People for the most part love it or hate it.  Very dynamic in the makes you want to air guitar and headbang kinda way with a lot of bite on guitars.  Though if you tend to crank up the bass they likely wouldn't be for you, not that they lack bass but there isn't an overabundance of it.

 

You can always pick up headphones from 4OurEars which is basically the Grado webstore and they give you 30 days to return em if you don't like them.  Not sure how the -shipping works since they don't charge shipping.


Edited by vanhiel - 2/27/14 at 12:33am
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhiel View Post
 

 

Grados for the most part have a very strong family sound.  People for the most part love it or hate it.  Very dynamic in the makes you want to air guitar and headbang kinda way with a lot of bite on guitars.  Though if you tend to crank up the bass they likely wouldn't be for you, not that they lack bass but there isn't an overabundance of it.

 

You can always pick up headphones from 4OurEars which is basically the Grado webstore and they give you 30 days to return em if you don't like them.  Not sure how the -shipping works since they don't charge shipping.

One thing I noticed about Grados is that none of them up until the SR225i(200$) have it to where your ears go in the cup. Im assuming though comfort isn't compromised in that regard?

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhiel View Post
 

 

Grados for the most part have a very strong family sound.  People for the most part love it or hate it.  Very dynamic in the makes you want to air guitar and headbang kinda way with a lot of bite on guitars.  Though if you tend to crank up the bass they likely wouldn't be for you, not that they lack bass but there isn't an overabundance of it.

 

You can always pick up headphones from  which is basically the Grado webstore and they give you 30 days to return em if you don't like them.  Not sure how the -shipping works since they don't charge shipping.

One thing I noticed about the Grados is that up until the SR225i's(200$) none of them are where your ear goes in the cup. Im assuming though comfort isn't compromised in that regard?

Certainly though the bass wouldn't be any less then what the 201s put out? Cause if its not then for me that's kinda of a non-issue as im nearly fine with the level of bass the 201s give out. I want more, but not a whole lot more. The only thing I find lacking in my 201s are the highs.


Edited by Mailman377 - 2/27/14 at 12:51am
post #10 of 11

I've never used the flat earfoams myself.  As long as you bend out the headband to have proper clamping force I imagine they'll be fine.  Though I've actually changed the doughnuts on my 225s into the dish style ones from the high end ones.  All of the foams are interchangeable except the ones for the iGrado.

 

Having never heard the particular set of Senns you have, I couldn't say for sure about bass.  But I've always found it to be solid.

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman377 View Post

One thing I noticed about the Grados is that up until the SR225i's(200$) none of them are where your ear goes in the cup. Im assuming though comfort isn't compromised in that regard?

Certainly though the bass wouldn't be any less then what the 201s put out? Cause if its not then for me that's kinda of a non-issue as im nearly fine with the level of bass the 201s give out. I want more, but not a whole lot more. The only thing I find lacking in my 201s are the highs.

I haven't heard HD201, so I don't know what sort of bass you expect. The FR charts for them look peculiar, so I distrust their accuracy. It would help if I knew who said they're neutral.

Comfort with the different Grado cushions is highly personal. The cushions sold with SR225i, L-cushions, can be bought separately and attached to the other SR series Grados. Further, you can tape mod them to increase the bass.

If you want to try Grados, try 60i and buy L-cushions for them. You would then have both common cushions on hand to choose from. If you don't like what you're hearing, you can return them or sell them here and recoup most of the expense.

That said, given your current listening experience and isolation requirements, I should think you'd want to try a better closed model instead. But until I know more about what you like about HD201, I can't make useful recommendations.

Unless you're simply looking for a good comfortable closed model for your genres up to $150, in which case I recommend the bassy DT770.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for possible headphone upgrades.