or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › Music City Meet / Nashville, TN Area / May 10, 2014 (UPDATED 3/4/2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Music City Meet / Nashville, TN Area / May 10, 2014 (UPDATED 3/4/2014) - Page 5

post #61 of 172

BOOM!!!! The PS500 is comin' out to play!!!! :D

 

Found out that there are several other things that I had an interest in attending on this date (not the least of which is a Ghost concert that my friends are going to), so I'm glad this is shaping up to be a killer meet-- cuts down on the opportunity cost second-guessing :P

 

Hmmm... So I wished for a PS500, and now it's coming. Let's try it again: "boy, I really hope Angelina Jolie shows up with a Sennheiser Orpheus setup!" :evil:

post #62 of 172

I'd even settle for Kate Beckinsale. 

 

And this is purely theoretical, but I may have something along the lines of a WA6 by the meet date. I do want to get into a good tube amp around 500 bucks, and right now there's a WA6 a little below that on the forsale forum. Would be very interested to directly compare the Fireflies to some other Woo Audio amps around that price range, and see what you're really paying for the awesome presentation and the dac. From all accounts it's worth the money as an amp alone, and sounds like a phenomenal buy.

post #63 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porteroso View Post
 

I'd even settle for Kate Beckinsale. 

 

And this is purely theoretical, but I may have something along the lines of a WA6 by the meet date. I do want to get into a good tube amp around 500 bucks, and right now there's a WA6 a little below that on the forsale forum. Would be very interested to directly compare the Fireflies to some other Woo Audio amps around that price range, and see what you're really paying for the awesome presentation and the dac. From all accounts it's worth the money as an amp alone, and sounds like a phenomenal buy.

Buy it and bring it :wink_face:

post #64 of 172

If we'll be bringing a plus one or two, should we post in this thread or would a PM be better?

post #65 of 172

Btw, went by HiFiBuys in Nashville yesterday and talked to a few guys there about the meet (one of whom appeared to be the manager or owner, but I'm not certain), and they displayed a pretty marked lack of interest in attending. I don't think they really get headphone-based audio yet (they have some incredible gear from the likes of McIntosh, Mark Levinson, and Wilson Audio, but they only had 5 sets of headphones, and they topped out quality-wise with the Grado 125), and I get the impression they aren't aware of the interest in high-end speaker amps for use with headphones. (I've spent the last few days searching for an integrated amp from Krell, Simaudio, etc that has the features I want within my price range for use with my HE-6). So it looks like we can count them out. Too bad, too-- they have some really interesting stuff, not the least of which were some integrated Mac amps that had a lot of potential. 

 

I went by Vintage Kings, but they were closed. C'est la audiophilia

post #66 of 172

the alpha dogs i was planning on bringing, got moved to another owner,

while the sound was stellar, it wasn't going to replace the lcd x

plus, i found i didn't like it being closed like i thought i would

if you want closed, and don't want to, or can't spend lcd x kinda money

i highly recommend these bad boys, the are the real deal for sure

 

and the wa7 is iffy too

if i still have it, i'll bring it for sure

post #67 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post
 

Btw, went by HiFiBuys in Nashville yesterday and talked to a few guys there about the meet (one of whom appeared to be the manager or owner, but I'm not certain), and they displayed a pretty marked lack of interest in attending. I don't think they really get headphone-based audio yet (they have some incredible gear from the likes of McIntosh, Mark Levinson, and Wilson Audio, but they only had 5 sets of headphones, and they topped out quality-wise with the Grado 125), and I get the impression they aren't aware of the interest in high-end speaker amps for use with headphones. (I've spent the last few days searching for an integrated amp from Krell, Simaudio, etc that has the features I want within my price range for use with my HE-6). So it looks like we can count them out. Too bad, too-- they have some really interesting stuff, not the least of which were some integrated Mac amps that had a lot of potential. 

 

I went by Vintage Kings, but they were closed. C'est la audiophilia

Welcome to the audio industry in Nashville.

 

If I were a braver man, I'd quit my job and open a hi-fi shop :P

post #68 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post
 

Welcome to the audio industry in Nashville.

 

If I were a braver man, I'd quit my job and open a hi-fi shop :P


i''d be sure to visit, i've been to hi fi buys(in ATL, back it the day) yeah, nice stuff, but yawn, lackluster , unenthusiastic sales people for the most part

give me a dealer who's passionate about what he sales, and cares for his customers any day !

post #69 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


i''d be sure to visit, i've been to hi fi buys(in ATL, back it the day) yeah, nice stuff, but yawn, lackluster , unenthusiastic sales people for the most part

give me a dealer who's passionate about what he sales, and cares for his customers any day !

 

Apparently there's now a large headphone place in Cincinnati (my hometown), but I haven't had a chance to visit yet.

 

They exist, and they seem to be doing well.  The question is whether or not the headphone business is here to stay (and grow), or if it'll be another fad.  As a high school teacher I can tell you that they are all the rage with kids now.  BUT, they all seem perfectly happy to listen to whatever $20 headphones they happened to have liked the looks of from Best Buy.

post #70 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post
 

 

Apparently there's now a large headphone place in Cincinnati (my hometown), but I haven't had a chance to visit yet.

 

They exist, and they seem to be doing well.  The question is whether or not the headphone business is here to stay (and grow), or if it'll be another fad.  As a high school teacher I can tell you that they are all the rage with kids now.  BUT, they all seem perfectly happy to listen to whatever $20 headphones they happened to have liked the looks of from Best Buy.


i gave my  guitar playing 17yr old stepson a pair of akg 551's , they rode around the truck of his car for about a month, he never used them, he always used his $25 skullcandy's and

and $30-$40 sony's ,

post #71 of 172

Here's my take on HiFiBuys in Nashville, I dropped in on the one on Nolensville Road three years ago and their idea of a high end HP was a Bose QC15.  

 

I'm going to bring my ALO Audio balanced Green Line cable for the HD650 along with the ALO Audio Balanced MKlllB+ amp.  The cables are easy to change out with the stock headphone cable so I'll bring those for comparison.  

 

Comparing and trying out different HP's with different set ups should be fun.

post #72 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post

Welcome to the audio industry in Nashville.

If I were a braver man, I'd quit my job and open a hi-fi shop :P

The very day I stumble upon that winning lotto ticket...
post #73 of 172

Damn shame we don't have a meet-up for the Memphis area. I live downtown and recently moved here. Been looking for a good audio club or hoping for a meetup. It feels like a more music influenced city than Nashville personally, what with the numerous recording artists from the area who keep the city afloat with donations and concerts. Plus Beale Street bars/nightly musicians, Memphis in May and the Beale Street Music Festival are pretty incredible events to attend.

 

Just to name a few greats though Memphis has Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Muddy Waters, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Robert Johnson, W. C. Handy, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Isaac Hayes, Booker T. Jones, Eric Gales, Al Green, Alex Chilton, Justin Timberlake, Three 6 Mafia, The Sylvers, Jay Reatard and Aretha Franklin.

 

R E S P E C T, respect dat legacy. Also I got to meet B.B. King at his club sometime last year and Justin Timberlake and his lovely wife leaving the nail bar in the Harbour Town area. It is a shame how far the city has fallen though with crime, poverty and businesses leaving. But that is everywhere in the USA that isn't kept afloat by federal stimulus injections :blink:.


Edited by Bitvar - 3/18/14 at 10:26am
post #74 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitvar View Post

Damn shame we don't have a meet-up for the Memphis area. I live downtown and recently moved here. Been looking for a good audio club or hoping for a meetup. It feels like a more music influenced city than Nashville personally, what with the numerous recording artists from the area who keep the city afloat with donations and concerts. Plus Beale Street bars/nightly musicians, Memphis in May and the Beale Street Music Festival are pretty incredible events to attend.

That is a shame and you make a valid point. However, don't bring that haterrade in this thread!
post #75 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post


That is a shame and you make a valid point. However, don't bring that haterrade in this thread!

Ah, I wasn't hating. Just stating that outside of Nashville locals no one has referred to it as "The Music City" in like 50 years. Most people jokingly refer to it as The Protestant Vatican, and for good reason. It isn't even the country music capital anymore thanks to political influence. They do output more christian rock per capita than anywhere else I bet!


It is just frustrating looking around the forums to not see anything for the Memphis area, so I'm venting. Nashville is a much nicer city than Memphis, to be sure - but relevant in the music industry anymore? That is questionable. I have been considering a move to there or Denver because of the superior IT job market.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › Music City Meet / Nashville, TN Area / May 10, 2014 (UPDATED 3/4/2014)