I've heard people and companies recommending burning in headphones. I was wondering what other peoples take on this is.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone recommendation for ~$100 - closed, comfy, semi-portable, for rock and a mix of other stuff Last post on 12/27/13 at 3:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me to choose which headphones to buy! Last post on 11/28/12 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- i want your addvises on some headphones (shr 840 / hd 380 ) Last post on 11/11/12 at 4:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for advice on new headphone purchase Last post on 11/11/12 at 1:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- looking for opinions on long list of headphones feel free to post anything you might find better Last post on 10/17/12 at 10:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have these for a couple of days, they are amazing for bass lovers, the bass is very deep and have hard punch and rumble, control is very good so the bass doesn't sound like a mess, is not slow...
1. These headphones are HUGE. 2. That said, it provides amazing soundstage/imaging, and are very comfortable. Headband has no bumps, and earpads are of memory foam. 3. Very decent amount of...
Looking at the picture of the PK3's I wasn't expecting much. They look and feel cheap using a generic case for the drivers. First I tried them without the foam covers and they sounded awful. I...
Disclaimer First of all, I would like to thank Audrey and the Brainwavz team for allowing me to review their S1 IEMs. I would also like to clarify that I am neither an affiliate of Brainwavz...
Overview The Alien is a well-priced (~$250 AUD), compact, screenless player that plays only WAV and FLAC files – no MP3, no AAC, just the two major lossless options. For some people that will...
Position on burning in headphonespost #1 of 422/25/14 at 3:33pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 422/25/14 at 4:55pmpost #3 of 422/25/14 at 5:13pmThread Starterpost #4 of 422/25/14 at 5:15pm
It exists, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be.
Out of the box, the drivers in your headphones are going to be a little stiff. It's a product that relies on smooth motion, so it's going to take a little for the spider and cones of the speakers to loosen up properly, and that's something that can take a couple days. For giant subwoofers it can be longer because, well, they're giant subwoofers so they have a lot more to loosen. For headphones, if you listen for a couple hours a day, I'd say within a week they should be up to full strength.
No idea how this applies to planar magnetic phones, it might not at all. Just dynamic drivers in this case.post #5 of 422/25/14 at 5:18pmThread Starterpost #6 of 422/25/14 at 5:26pmpost #7 of 422/25/14 at 5:30pmThread Starterpost #8 of 422/25/14 at 7:21pmpost #9 of 422/25/14 at 7:23pmpost #10 of 422/25/14 at 7:24pm
I think it exists, like SomeGuyDude says, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be. I've tried burn in on a few of my new sets of headphones, and not once did I hear an audible difference. That's just me though. In fact, I've been reading about the HD280 needing tons of burn in, and I remember years back when I tried burning them in. I put them in a drawer and let them play for about two weeks straight, and I never noticed a difference. Obviously this is just my personal experience though, others are quite different.
Another thing to remember is our ears getting accustomed to the sound. When I first put a headphone on for the day, it will take me awhile to 'fall into' the sound of that particular unit. I think it's a combination of the earpads forming to our ears and our ears and heads getting used to having a headphone in place. There might be other variables too, though.
Edited by BrownBear - 2/25/14 at 7:25pmpost #11 of 422/25/14 at 7:29pmThread Starterpost #12 of 422/25/14 at 7:33pm
No, they shouldn't sound bad out of the box. I've heard considerable differences in bass; did less than I hoped for treble.
I don't believe that it's a matter of becoming accustomed to the sound, at least not in my case, as I tend to listen fairly little till after burn in: I listen immediately for half an hour to an hour--who can resist and why not--then start burning in, listening a little here and there till I figure they're probably done.post #13 of 422/25/14 at 7:35pmpost #14 of 422/25/14 at 7:36pmpost #15 of 422/25/14 at 7:37pmQuote:
Yeah, that might have something to do with it. I mean school is probably much noisier than home, that might affect your perception of the sound.
- Position on burning in headphones
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 20 seconds ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears 2 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 5 minutes ago
- › Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc. 6 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 7 minutes ago
- › AKG Y55 Black DJ-Ready Headphones with Enriched Bass, Snug Fit and... by presata
- › AKG K7XX by avitron142
- › YUIN PK3 Earbuds by thebluebulk
- › Brainwavz S1 by thatBeatsguy
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by Loquah
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundScout
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MyFamilyShoppin
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)