I've heard people and companies recommending burning in headphones. I was wondering what other peoples take on this is.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone recommendation for ~$100 - closed, comfy, semi-portable, for rock and a mix of other stuff Last post on 12/27/13 at 3:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- NEED help picking out headphones Last post on 12/14/12 at 7:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me to choose which headphones to buy! Last post on 11/28/12 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- i want your addvises on some headphones (shr 840 / hd 380 ) Last post on 11/11/12 at 4:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction I initially caught wind of Flare Audio and their offerings through a friend's Facebook post. Cutting a long story short I clicked the link and with each detail I read became more...
Love this pair of headphones. Huge sound stage. Great for classical music. The bass is not shabby and is good enough to enjoy Coldplays Viva la Vida. Of course comprable amplifiers are necessry...
I had these a while back and found them to be pretty good alas they did have a couple things that spoiled them. Comfort: Finding the best earbuds took a bit of time. Although once you did,...
DUNU TITAN 1 - QUICK REVIEW photos taken from the internet Specifications Driver: 13mm Titanium Diaphragm Dynamic Driver Impedance:16Ω Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency:...
At the time this review was written, the MKLL M-1 was on sale for $79.00 USD on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
Position on burning in headphonespost #1 of 422/25/14 at 3:33pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 422/25/14 at 4:55pmpost #3 of 422/25/14 at 5:13pmThread Starterpost #4 of 422/25/14 at 5:15pm
It exists, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be.
Out of the box, the drivers in your headphones are going to be a little stiff. It's a product that relies on smooth motion, so it's going to take a little for the spider and cones of the speakers to loosen up properly, and that's something that can take a couple days. For giant subwoofers it can be longer because, well, they're giant subwoofers so they have a lot more to loosen. For headphones, if you listen for a couple hours a day, I'd say within a week they should be up to full strength.
No idea how this applies to planar magnetic phones, it might not at all. Just dynamic drivers in this case.post #5 of 422/25/14 at 5:18pmThread Starterpost #6 of 422/25/14 at 5:26pmpost #7 of 422/25/14 at 5:30pmThread Starterpost #8 of 422/25/14 at 7:21pmpost #9 of 422/25/14 at 7:23pmpost #10 of 422/25/14 at 7:24pm
I think it exists, like SomeGuyDude says, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be. I've tried burn in on a few of my new sets of headphones, and not once did I hear an audible difference. That's just me though. In fact, I've been reading about the HD280 needing tons of burn in, and I remember years back when I tried burning them in. I put them in a drawer and let them play for about two weeks straight, and I never noticed a difference. Obviously this is just my personal experience though, others are quite different.
Another thing to remember is our ears getting accustomed to the sound. When I first put a headphone on for the day, it will take me awhile to 'fall into' the sound of that particular unit. I think it's a combination of the earpads forming to our ears and our ears and heads getting used to having a headphone in place. There might be other variables too, though.
Edited by BrownBear - 2/25/14 at 7:25pmpost #11 of 422/25/14 at 7:29pmThread Starterpost #12 of 422/25/14 at 7:33pm
No, they shouldn't sound bad out of the box. I've heard considerable differences in bass; did less than I hoped for treble.
I don't believe that it's a matter of becoming accustomed to the sound, at least not in my case, as I tend to listen fairly little till after burn in: I listen immediately for half an hour to an hour--who can resist and why not--then start burning in, listening a little here and there till I figure they're probably done.post #13 of 422/25/14 at 7:35pmpost #14 of 422/25/14 at 7:36pmpost #15 of 422/25/14 at 7:37pmQuote:
Yeah, that might have something to do with it. I mean school is probably much noisier than home, that might affect your perception of the sound.
- Position on burning in headphones
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 26 seconds ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audiophile Newbie, I need help choosing a portable DAC/AMP. 2 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › The use of DAC&lifier 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for a pair of open back headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2Pro Earphones by dnun8086
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by Chiek
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2