I've heard people and companies recommending burning in headphones. I was wondering what other peoples take on this is.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone recommendation for ~$100 - closed, comfy, semi-portable, for rock and a mix of other stuff Last post on 12/27/13 at 3:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- NEED help picking out headphones Last post on 12/14/12 at 7:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me to choose which headphones to buy! Last post on 11/28/12 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- i want your addvises on some headphones (shr 840 / hd 380 ) Last post on 11/11/12 at 4:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I must admit, until recently, I was not aware of the Master and Dynamic brand. I had heard about them on the forums, but never really read anything about them. Their recent model MH40 is their...
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Position on burning in headphonespost #1 of 422/25/14 at 3:33pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 422/25/14 at 4:55pmpost #3 of 422/25/14 at 5:13pmThread Starterpost #4 of 422/25/14 at 5:15pm
It exists, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be.
Out of the box, the drivers in your headphones are going to be a little stiff. It's a product that relies on smooth motion, so it's going to take a little for the spider and cones of the speakers to loosen up properly, and that's something that can take a couple days. For giant subwoofers it can be longer because, well, they're giant subwoofers so they have a lot more to loosen. For headphones, if you listen for a couple hours a day, I'd say within a week they should be up to full strength.
No idea how this applies to planar magnetic phones, it might not at all. Just dynamic drivers in this case.post #5 of 422/25/14 at 5:18pmThread Starterpost #6 of 422/25/14 at 5:26pmpost #7 of 422/25/14 at 5:30pmThread Starterpost #8 of 422/25/14 at 7:21pmpost #9 of 422/25/14 at 7:23pmpost #10 of 422/25/14 at 7:24pm
I think it exists, like SomeGuyDude says, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be. I've tried burn in on a few of my new sets of headphones, and not once did I hear an audible difference. That's just me though. In fact, I've been reading about the HD280 needing tons of burn in, and I remember years back when I tried burning them in. I put them in a drawer and let them play for about two weeks straight, and I never noticed a difference. Obviously this is just my personal experience though, others are quite different.
Another thing to remember is our ears getting accustomed to the sound. When I first put a headphone on for the day, it will take me awhile to 'fall into' the sound of that particular unit. I think it's a combination of the earpads forming to our ears and our ears and heads getting used to having a headphone in place. There might be other variables too, though.
Edited by BrownBear - 2/25/14 at 7:25pmpost #11 of 422/25/14 at 7:29pmThread Starterpost #12 of 422/25/14 at 7:33pm
No, they shouldn't sound bad out of the box. I've heard considerable differences in bass; did less than I hoped for treble.
I don't believe that it's a matter of becoming accustomed to the sound, at least not in my case, as I tend to listen fairly little till after burn in: I listen immediately for half an hour to an hour--who can resist and why not--then start burning in, listening a little here and there till I figure they're probably done.post #13 of 422/25/14 at 7:35pmpost #14 of 422/25/14 at 7:36pmpost #15 of 422/25/14 at 7:37pmQuote:
Yeah, that might have something to do with it. I mean school is probably much noisier than home, that might affect your perception of the sound.
- Position on burning in headphones
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Upgrade from Creative Aurvana Live? 53 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 1 minute ago
- › Best IEM tips? 1 minute ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Where can you get free flac musics? 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2