I've heard people and companies recommending burning in headphones. I was wondering what other peoples take on this is.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone recommendation for ~$100 - closed, comfy, semi-portable, for rock and a mix of other stuff Last post on 12/27/13 at 3:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- NEED help picking out headphones Last post on 12/14/12 at 7:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me to choose which headphones to buy! Last post on 11/28/12 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- i want your addvises on some headphones (shr 840 / hd 380 ) Last post on 11/11/12 at 4:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
Position on burning in headphonespost #1 of 422/25/14 at 3:33pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 422/25/14 at 4:55pmpost #3 of 422/25/14 at 5:13pmThread Starterpost #4 of 422/25/14 at 5:15pm
It exists, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be.
Out of the box, the drivers in your headphones are going to be a little stiff. It's a product that relies on smooth motion, so it's going to take a little for the spider and cones of the speakers to loosen up properly, and that's something that can take a couple days. For giant subwoofers it can be longer because, well, they're giant subwoofers so they have a lot more to loosen. For headphones, if you listen for a couple hours a day, I'd say within a week they should be up to full strength.
No idea how this applies to planar magnetic phones, it might not at all. Just dynamic drivers in this case.post #5 of 422/25/14 at 5:18pmThread Starterpost #6 of 422/25/14 at 5:26pmpost #7 of 422/25/14 at 5:30pmThread Starterpost #8 of 422/25/14 at 7:21pmpost #9 of 422/25/14 at 7:23pmpost #10 of 422/25/14 at 7:24pm
I think it exists, like SomeGuyDude says, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be. I've tried burn in on a few of my new sets of headphones, and not once did I hear an audible difference. That's just me though. In fact, I've been reading about the HD280 needing tons of burn in, and I remember years back when I tried burning them in. I put them in a drawer and let them play for about two weeks straight, and I never noticed a difference. Obviously this is just my personal experience though, others are quite different.
Another thing to remember is our ears getting accustomed to the sound. When I first put a headphone on for the day, it will take me awhile to 'fall into' the sound of that particular unit. I think it's a combination of the earpads forming to our ears and our ears and heads getting used to having a headphone in place. There might be other variables too, though.
Edited by BrownBear - 2/25/14 at 7:25pmpost #11 of 422/25/14 at 7:29pmThread Starterpost #12 of 422/25/14 at 7:33pm
No, they shouldn't sound bad out of the box. I've heard considerable differences in bass; did less than I hoped for treble.
I don't believe that it's a matter of becoming accustomed to the sound, at least not in my case, as I tend to listen fairly little till after burn in: I listen immediately for half an hour to an hour--who can resist and why not--then start burning in, listening a little here and there till I figure they're probably done.post #13 of 422/25/14 at 7:35pmpost #14 of 422/25/14 at 7:36pmpost #15 of 422/25/14 at 7:37pmQuote:
Yeah, that might have something to do with it. I mean school is probably much noisier than home, that might affect your perception of the sound.
- Position on burning in headphones
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 51 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 2 minutes ago
- › Spiral Ears SE5 Ultimate Discussion/ Impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 6 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 9 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 14 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 14 minutes ago
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 15 minutes ago
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear