I've heard people and companies recommending burning in headphones. I was wondering what other peoples take on this is.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone recommendation for ~$100 - closed, comfy, semi-portable, for rock and a mix of other stuff Last post on 12/27/13 at 3:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- NEED help picking out headphones Last post on 12/14/12 at 7:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me to choose which headphones to buy! Last post on 11/28/12 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- i want your addvises on some headphones (shr 840 / hd 380 ) Last post on 11/11/12 at 4:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
They beat my DT 770's. That was enough for me. Everything about them was better. Vocal clarity, soundstage....upfront vocals...beautiful and not just for the price. Under rated... people don't...
Here's everything you need to know http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-sony-playstation-1-scph.html Here's the Stereophile review on it...
TTPOD T1E Review Background Be using me Fiio X3 for this review ......fosho' this purple jet pack is one sexy lookin' IEM .....housing is big but could be a problem for some with the...
The PM3 is Oppo's 3rd headphone offering, a closed back planar magnetic. Thank you to @Jiffy Squid and Oppo for allowing us Head-fiers to audition these at the comfort of our own home and time,...
How much more can we possibly hear? At some point audio, and personal audio by default, becomes a continual series of efforts to throw oneself over the walls of the physical world. We try...
Position on burning in headphonespost #1 of 422/25/14 at 3:33pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 422/25/14 at 4:55pmpost #3 of 422/25/14 at 5:13pmThread Starterpost #4 of 422/25/14 at 5:15pm
It exists, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be.
Out of the box, the drivers in your headphones are going to be a little stiff. It's a product that relies on smooth motion, so it's going to take a little for the spider and cones of the speakers to loosen up properly, and that's something that can take a couple days. For giant subwoofers it can be longer because, well, they're giant subwoofers so they have a lot more to loosen. For headphones, if you listen for a couple hours a day, I'd say within a week they should be up to full strength.
No idea how this applies to planar magnetic phones, it might not at all. Just dynamic drivers in this case.post #5 of 422/25/14 at 5:18pmThread Starterpost #6 of 422/25/14 at 5:26pmpost #7 of 422/25/14 at 5:30pmThread Starterpost #8 of 422/25/14 at 7:21pmpost #9 of 422/25/14 at 7:23pmpost #10 of 422/25/14 at 7:24pm
I think it exists, like SomeGuyDude says, but it's not as severe as some make it out to be. I've tried burn in on a few of my new sets of headphones, and not once did I hear an audible difference. That's just me though. In fact, I've been reading about the HD280 needing tons of burn in, and I remember years back when I tried burning them in. I put them in a drawer and let them play for about two weeks straight, and I never noticed a difference. Obviously this is just my personal experience though, others are quite different.
Another thing to remember is our ears getting accustomed to the sound. When I first put a headphone on for the day, it will take me awhile to 'fall into' the sound of that particular unit. I think it's a combination of the earpads forming to our ears and our ears and heads getting used to having a headphone in place. There might be other variables too, though.
Edited by BrownBear - 2/25/14 at 7:25pmpost #11 of 422/25/14 at 7:29pmThread Starterpost #12 of 422/25/14 at 7:33pm
No, they shouldn't sound bad out of the box. I've heard considerable differences in bass; did less than I hoped for treble.
I don't believe that it's a matter of becoming accustomed to the sound, at least not in my case, as I tend to listen fairly little till after burn in: I listen immediately for half an hour to an hour--who can resist and why not--then start burning in, listening a little here and there till I figure they're probably done.post #13 of 422/25/14 at 7:35pmpost #14 of 422/25/14 at 7:36pmpost #15 of 422/25/14 at 7:37pmQuote:
Yeah, that might have something to do with it. I mean school is probably much noisier than home, that might affect your perception of the sound.
- Position on burning in headphones
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread 7 seconds ago
- › Alpha Design Labs H128 11 seconds ago
- › post your grado mods.... 54 seconds ago
- › I need an alternative to my Pioneer HDJ2000: SENNHEISER HD558 VS HD650 1 minute ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › JH16 or Noble K10 or? 2 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 5 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity – it’s... 5 minutes ago
- › Takstar Pro 80 by alphaproject
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Armaegis
- › Logitech Z-560 THX-Certified 4.1 Speaker System by spronkey
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2