or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Did you spend more money on your headphones or your source
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Did you spend more money on your headphones or your source - Page 2

Poll Results: Did you spend more money on Headphones or Source (Amp/DAC/Transport/Record Player/)

 
  • 61% (26)
    Headphones
  • 28% (12)
    Source
  • 9% (4)
    About the same (give or take 50 USD)
42 Total Votes  
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

Ah, yeah. I think that's a little confusing though, because by that merit I spent zero dollars on my source, since I'm not using an amp. :P
I don't think the OP knows what a source is but anyway for me I spent about the same.
post #17 of 33
In most cases for me, the headphone is the more expensive half of the chain, since the source is an X-Fi Titanium HD I only paid around $90 for and my current cans were in the $140-150 range.

There was one particular exception to the rule:
Stax SR-Lambda: $320
Stax SRM-T1: $400

That's par for the course with non-flagship electrostatics, if you don't want to take the transformer box + speaker amp approach. A direct-drive amp like the SRM-1/Mk2 Pro or SRM-T1 will often sell in the $350-550 range, hence why I consider the amp requirements to be the main barrier to entry for 'stats.
Edited by NamelessPFG - 2/28/14 at 3:42pm
post #18 of 33

Like I said before, I think it's the case for most audio situations. Look at car audio. The cost of the speakers, enclosures, and amps is always more than the head unit. In a lot of ways, the source has the easiest job: just pass the little 1s and 0s along. 

post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

Like I said before, I think it's the case for most audio situations. Look at car audio. The cost of the speakers, enclosures, and amps is always more than the head unit. In a lot of ways, the source has the easiest job: just pass the little 1s and 0s along. 

 

Not so easy for me: I use a phonograph on the passenger's seat. :cool:

post #20 of 33

I am fairly new to the hobby and so far, I have definitely put more money into the headphones, as opposed to the source. I think when you are getting started, the headphones are the most "visible" part of the system and the most exciting to spend money on. Then, as you continue to learn more about the importance of the DAC/Amp/Files/Cables, etc. those things begin to take on a life of their own and become much more interesting.

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
 

I am fairly new to the hobby and so far, I have definitely put more money into the headphones, as opposed to the source. I think when you are getting started, the headphones are the most "visible" part of the system and the most exciting to spend money on. Then, as you continue to learn more about the importance of the DAC/Amp/Files/Cables, etc. those things begin to take on a life of their own and become much more interesting.

Very true, I know for myself, I didn't buy a dedicated DAC until last year and I got into headphones back in 2001.  I used an Audigy2 ZS Platinum as my DAC forever.  In fact I didn't buy an amp until ~2008.

post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

Like I said before, I think it's the case for most audio situations. Look at car audio. The cost of the speakers, enclosures...is always more than the head unit.

If you DIY the cost of speakers drops by a factor of 5X to 20X.

5X to 10X being the usual cost of parts to price you pay.

But that's for another forum...
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by marone View Post


If you DIY the cost of speakers drops by a factor of 5X to 20X.

5X to 10X being the usual cost of parts to price you pay.

But that's for another forum...

 

o_O

 

Where in the world are you shopping? I'll admit that buying at a shop and having them install it can add a couple hundred bucks, but uh... unless you're having them do a full gigantic custom fiberglass rebuild of your interior it shouldn't be anything NEARLY that pronounced. 

post #24 of 33

I think what tends to happen is... You buy an expensive headphone first and then easily spend more on amps trying to find perfection.

 

But to answer the OP's original question. Yup my most expensive hp cost more than my most expensive component.   

post #25 of 33

Grado sr80i- 95EUR-o

XOnar dx 70 EUR-o

Cmoy my DIY with best parts 30 EUR-o

post #26 of 33

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

o_O

 

Where in the world are you shopping? I'll admit that buying at a shop and having them install it can add a couple hundred bucks, but uh... unless you're having them do a full gigantic custom fiberglass rebuild of your interior it shouldn't be anything NEARLY that pronounced. 


This is a little off topic but I think marone was not exaggerating much. From my experience it is easily possible to get five times more value for money when DIYing speakers compared to buying from a shop. You seem to be talking mostly from your experience with car audio which, IMO has very little to do with hifi. Of course it does not make any sense to spend large sums on a audiophile source component for inside a car! Personally I spent 600euros on my DIY speakers and about the same on my DAC/USB-SPDIF converter combo, then I have a record player setup which costs more than what I spent on the speakers. I have upgraded my record player gradually and with every upgrade things sound better, thus I know the speakers are keeping up...

post #27 of 33

$1700 laptop, $400 Nexus 5, $950 UM Miracles...

 

Dedicated sources that cost more than the hp themselves are just stupid though.

post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinze View Post

Dedicated sources that cost more than the hp themselves are just stupid though.

Such as good CD players? rolleyes.gif
post #29 of 33

iMac 2009 version $500

Schiit magni/modi $180

Beyer COP's were like $140

post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

o_O

Where in the world are you shopping? I'll admit that buying at a shop and having them install it can add a couple hundred bucks, but uh... unless you're having them do a full gigantic custom fiberglass rebuild of your interior it shouldn't be anything NEARLY that pronounced. 

That's normal in speakers bought at retail. Pick any brand, lofi to audiophile.

The drivers in the box, and the crossover, cost 1/5th to 1/10th the price you pay.

The issue is that the cabinets require high woodworking skills and designing a speaker with the compromises that must be made, are two skills that are not easy master.

But as an example you can purchase a $1000 pair of speakers at retail with $150 worth of parts or you can buy 2 X $500 top of the line drivers and make your own box. Those $500 drivers usually being installed inside $15,000+ speaker systems.

Yes, that means that your boombox has, at most, $5 of speaker driver parts inside.

Again, this is for other fora and usually DIY talk on sites with heavy industry ad funding is a no-no.

Moving on...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Did you spend more money on your headphones or your source