or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Recommendations: $450 budget audio setup for electronic music and gaming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendations: $450 budget audio setup for electronic music and gaming - Page 2

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchie View Post
 

wouldnt running it through optical (and therefore my onboard audio) just bypass the DAC entirely? meaning it would just be an amp with a pointless DAC attached to it?

Optical, coacial and USB would by pass any DAC that is inside the computer case (like the motherboard's built in DAC)

Optical out of the PC and into the E17 would feed the digital audio signal from the PC to the E17's DAC chip, then an analog audio signal would come out of the DAC and go to the E17 headphone amplifier.

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Optical, coacial and USB would by pass any DAC that is inside the computer case (like the motherboard's built in DAC)

Optical out of the PC and into the E17 would feed the digital audio signal from the PC to the E17's DAC chip, then an analog audio signal would come out of the DAC and go to the E17 headphone amplifier.

okay i think i understand now, though would my best option then be to buy an internal pci-e sound card/dac and then run an external amp through the pci-e's optical port?

post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchie View Post
 

okay i think i understand now, though would my best option then be to buy an internal pci-e sound card/dac and then run an external amp through the pci-e's optical port?

Using an internal PCI-E sound card, for is headphone surround sound and DAC chip (Xonar DX or D1)

Then connect an external headphone amplifier (Schiit Magni?) to the sound card's analog output port.

Amplifiers have analog input connections, not optical input connections.

An external DAC would have a optical connection (or USB or coaxial) and the external DAC may or may not also have a built in headphone amplifier.

post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Using an internal PCI-E sound card, for is headphone surround sound and DAC chip (Xonar DX or D1)

Then connect an external headphone amplifier (Schiit Magni?) to the sound card's analog output port.

Amplifiers have analog input connections, not optical input connections.

An external DAC would have a optical connection (or USB or coaxial) and the external DAC may or may not also have a built in headphone amplifier.

Any DACs you can recommend that fit those requirements?


Edited by Lynchie - 2/24/14 at 5:37pm
post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 

or am i honestly going to get best results with an external DAC/Amp running through the Toslink optical output of my motherboard onboard audio for surround?

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchie View Post
 

or am i honestly going to get best results with an external DAC/Amp running through the Toslink optical output of my motherboard onboard audio for surround?

You can get an external DAC/Amp like the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 plus for $210.

 

But maybe find a used Asus Xonar Essence STX ($140 )off eBay.

Leaves a lot of your budget for headphones.

post #22 of 25
Phillips X1 then look into the Aune T1 or X1 which are both <200 DAC/amp combos that are sold locally here in Australia. Buy the Phillips from a Grey import site otherwise they will cost too much. Buying from amazon only some ship to Australia - not many plus currency conversions depend on your card holder as well if going by credit - fair bit more layout than the us price.

That would be thee way I'd be going personally.
post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Schism View Post

Phillips X1 then look into the Aune T1 or X1 which are both <200 DAC/amp combos that are sold locally here in Australia. Buy the Phillips from a Grey import site otherwise they will cost too much. Buying from amazon only some ship to Australia - not many plus currency conversions depend on your card holder as well if going by credit - fair bit more layout than the us price.

That would be thee way I'd be going personally.

X1 to go with my X1s, its like they were meant to be. do you by any chance know of a site that sells the phillips?

post #24 of 25
DWI digital cameras have them Google it. Just use PayPal if buying from them and not credit card directly. I've got my hd600 there.

I just realized that it all comes up above your budget frown.gif though.
post #25 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Schism View Post

DWI digital cameras have them Google it. Just use PayPal if buying from them and not credit card directly. I've got my hd600 there.

I just realized that it all comes up above your budget frown.gif though.

hmm, there are a few places i can find that will total to around $520 which isnt too far over. Otherwise my mates dad is a pilot and can probably pick some up in the states for me :rolleyes:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Recommendations: $450 budget audio setup for electronic music and gaming