or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help choosing a open heaphone for awesome competitive gaming and rock music listening experiences, $250 at maximum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help choosing a open heaphone for awesome competitive gaming and rock music listening experiences, $250 at maximum

Poll Results: So, after reading the thread, what would be the best for me?

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 25% of voters (1)
    AKG Q701
  • 0% of voters (0)
    Beyerdynamic DT880
  • 75% of voters (3)
    Beyerdynamic DT990
  • 50% of voters (2)
    Philips Fidelio X1
  • 75% of voters (3)
    Sony MA900
4 Total Votes  
post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

As title says, I need the "best headphones" (I know this word doesn't exist in therms of audio, but...) that I can get for competitive first person shooter gaming sessions that also MUST fit a rock lover requirements for a outstanding eargasm. As I'm a starter, my budget for the HP is something like $250 (the less, the better). The HP will be paired with a Creative Soundblaster Z as I need a good 3D view of my enemies/mates location and, IF needed, a Schiit Magni Amplifier can be also put in the cart (you can also make your point here). I'm gonna use it for something like 8h/day at the vacations, so it needs to be very comfortable and pleasant (my Porta Pro bends my hair almost permanently and this makes me very, very angry). I'm not going to say the music-to-gaming using time ratio because I really think I need something good at both, but if you want cut anything out, I prefer the music quality over the gaming (not too much). Said that statements, I've been looking around for some time and realized that one of these Q701, DT880 and HE-400 can be my choice. What do you think? Throw more models in the comparison JUST IF it is better for my needs than the others are. If I forgot anything that can make your recommendation easier just tell me and I will add it. Thanks in advance and sorry for any English Grammar murdering,

 

Lucas Bezerra.

 

PS1: Oh, I forgot to say, if it can be used well with my guitar amp would be good. =)


Edited by Lucas Bezerra - 2/23/14 at 6:39am
post #2 of 21

Well, over ear will bend your hairs not matter what. specially if u use them 8h/day

 

 

 

Anyway, the best guide for gaming cans is the Mad lust envy one. 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-9-2014-shure-srh1840-added

As it said:

 

The best all rounders in your price range is as mad lust envy say is :

 

HE 400

Philips Fidelio X1

Sony MA900

 

 

But IMHO, the best one if you need a mic for your gaming needs is the Combo fidelio X1 + V moda boompro http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK

 

 

 

 

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harghan View Post
 

Well, over ear will bend your hairs not matter what. specially if u use them 8h/day

 

 

 

Anyway, the best guide for gaming cans is the Mad lust envy one. 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-9-2014-shure-srh1840-added

As it said:

 

The best all rounders in your price range is as mad lust envy say is :

 

HE 400

Philips Fidelio X1

Sony MA900

 

 

But IMHO, the best one if you need a mic for your gaming needs is the Combo fidelio X1 + V moda boompro http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK

 

 

 

 

I've done a reading at Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide and I'll throw in some HPs I liked on his reviews. So now we have the AKG Q701 vs HiFiMAN HE-400 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 vs Sony MA900 vs Philips Fidelio X1.

post #4 of 21

Of course the k701 series shouldn't be disregarded, but they are fairly hard to drive (so is HE-400) and might not go too well with your rock music preferences. Else, there's also the dt990.

post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thank you guys for the replies, I've read that guide and now have more HPs in mind. Now I'm between the AKG Q701 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 vs Beyerdynamic DT990 vs Philips Fidelio X1 vs Sony MA900 vs HiFiMAN HE-400. I know it's a big list to compare, but a HP is something you buy and use for long time (at least for me), so I want be sure when getting it.
post #6 of 21

Will you need a mic ?

post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harghan View Post
 

Will you need a mic ?

Yes, maybe a Zalman Mic or a similar. Why?

post #8 of 21

As i said you can combi The cans with removable jack with this http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2300/0dc46/products/159/images/931/boompro_square_wbg_web__19051.1367879870.1280.1280.jpg (vmoda boompro) its by far better than the zalman mic 1

post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harghan View Post
 

As i said you can combi The cans with removable jack with this http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2300/0dc46/products/159/images/931/boompro_square_wbg_web__19051.1367879870.1280.1280.jpg (vmoda boompro) its by far better than the zalman mic 1

Oh I apologize, didn't realize you were the guy above :D. I liked it, makes unnecessary doing a sleeving cover job on the mic + HP cables to put them together, besides the sound quality improvement over the Zalman Mic, as you said. I'll consider buying one...

post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harghan View Post
 

As i said you can combi The cans with removable jack with this (vmoda boompro) its by far better than the zalman mic 1

Oh I apologize, didn't realize you were the guy above :D. I liked it, makes the sleeving cover job for putting the HP + mic cables together unnecessary, besides the sound quality improvement over the Zalman Mic. I'll consider buying one...

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Bezerra View Post
 

Oh I apologize, didn't realize you were the guy above :D. I liked it, makes the sleeving cover job for putting the HP + mic cables together unnecessary, besides the sound quality improvement over the Zalman Mic. I'll consider buying one...

Beware the Q701 isnt a jack but a xlr, or smtg like that.

The ma 900 isn't removable,

the HE-400 / 500 .. well see by yourself

 

 

Only the fidelio X1 is jack removable

 

And the Dt 880 / 990 you have to mod it by yourself with a solder and it void the warranty.

post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harghan View Post
 

Beware the Q701 isnt a jack but a xlr, or smtg like that.

The ma 900 isn't removable,

the HE-400 / 500 .. well see by yourself

 

 

Only the fidelio X1 is jack removable

 

And the Dt 880 / 990 you have to mod it by yourself with a solder and it void the warranty.

Hum, I know, but the mic is not that important for me. As I said, if I'm not going with the V-Moda I would do a two-cable sleeving to make them stay together with good looks... I can get on my own about the mic's adaptation if it is needed, won't give that big importance to it. So, forgetting a little bit about the mic attachment/convenience, what HP should be the right for me? 

post #13 of 21

I would have suggested the HD598s, but I have no experience with any of what you have listed as options.

 

When I got my first pair of Senn HD5xx something like 10 years ago it took a couple weeks until I was banned from all the east coast CS:S servers. That kind of sound imaging is as good as a wall-hack.  

 

They sound fine for music and are not problem to drive, plus they are in your price range.  And they are some of the most comfortable headphones?

post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaced View Post
 

I would have suggested the HD598s, but I have no experience with any of what you have listed as options.

 

When I got my first pair of Senn HD5xx something like 10 years ago it took a couple weeks until I was banned from all the east coast CS:S servers. That kind of sound imaging is as good as a wall-hack.  

 

They sound fine for music and are not problem to drive, plus they are in your price range.  And they are some of the most comfortable headphones?

What did you paired your HP with? Soundcard? I really like Sennheiser, they have a good construction quality and overall very good sound quality from what I've read, but I don't know how they perform with rock songs... Guys, put the Sennheiser HD598 in the comparison list...

post #15 of 21

Dunno, pretty much any of those headphones could be contenders.. But if I have to throw some out, I'd say out with dt880 and k701 because I don't think they'd fit your music preference too well.

 

I think I'd recommend the ma900 or x1 because they are easy to drive and should sound pretty good, but really all the options are viable as they all fit your requirenments well..

 

Which one you'd like the most, though.. Can't say.

 

I'll send you a pm on a nice offer that I am not allowed to mention on this site, which could be a good option as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Need help choosing a open heaphone for awesome competitive gaming and rock music listening experiences, $250 at maximum