or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › What do you think about Beyerdynamic DT880 for Rock & Rap
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you think about Beyerdynamic DT880 for Rock & Rap

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I got reccomanded here the Grado SR225i

But I read that they are not so good for rap

 

and then i got reccomanded the Beyerdynamic DT880 which has good treble for rock and good bass for rap

 

are they good headphones? the best i can find at this price?

 

and what amp will make the best out of the headphones? will a fiio amp be enough?

 

 

thanks!!

post #2 of 11

IMO DT880 bass is not enough for rap or any other music that needs alot of bass. DT990 would propably be better. DT880 are excellent headphones for the price though, If you can appreciate the overall soundquality and don't demand a lot of bass. If you can go up in price, maybe Sennheiser hd650 would be better for you. You definately need a decent amp for those. If you plan on getting a good amp also check out hifiman he-400.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beocord View Post
 

IMO DT880 bass is not enough for rap or any other music that needs alot of bass. DT990 would propably be better. DT880 are excellent headphones for the price though, If you can appreciate the overall soundquality and don't demand a lot of bass. If you can go up in price, maybe Sennheiser hd650 would be better for you. You definately need a decent amp for those. If you plan on getting a good amp also check out hifiman he-400.

Fiio E07K is not good enough amp?

what amp would you reccomand if so?

 

and you think the DT 990\880 are the best headphones at this price range?

post #4 of 11

Objective2, Schiit modi/vali are propably better alternatives to Fiio. I've briefly heard few fioo amps and owned vali. Vali offers more expansive and refined sound. The price difference between fioos and vali is ustified. DT990 and DT880 are excellent choices. However I'dont feel comfortable saying those are best at the price range. There are so many options around that price that choosing the ultimate best is impossible. Just keep reading, all the information you need is around here somewhere. I't is alot of reading but it is worth it.  Nobody can make the choice for you because nobody knows your sound preferences etc...

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beocord View Post
 

Objective2, Schiit modi/vali are propably better alternatives to Fiio. I've briefly heard few fioo amps and owned vali. Vali offers more expansive and refined sound. The price difference between fioos and vali is ustified. DT990 and DT880 are excellent choices. However I'dont feel comfortable saying those are best at the price range. There are so many options around that price that choosing the ultimate best is impossible. Just keep reading, all the information you need is around here somewhere. I't is alot of reading but it is worth it.  Nobody can make the choice for you because nobody knows your sound preferences etc...

My options for now is:

 

DT 880

DT 990

Grado SRxx

 

 

what would you choose if you were me?

 

 

 

And do you think i should by a desktop amp like little dot 1+? its costs 150$ 

post #6 of 11

I have both the DT880 and SR225,I end up using the DT880's about 90% of the time. Most of my music listening consists of progressive and hard rock.

 

The SR225's (which I have owned for close to 12 years) do rock extremely well but can be somewhat fatiguing both in comfort and frequency response. My ears feel like they are burning after an hour or two of listening and the upper mid and high end can be grating with extended use. I have yet to run into a headphone in it's price range that reproduces an electric guitar as well though. The SR225 also has very good bass response when it comes to speed and complexity of a kick drum and bass guitar, but it does not reach very low.

 

The DT880s are extremely comfortable. I can wear them for hours with absolutely no fatigue. The sound signature is not as exciting as the SR225, but it is very balanced. The frequency response is for the most part flat. They do have a bit of a boost in the 7khz-9khz range which can make them overly bright if paired with the wrong equipment.

 

From what I have read the DT990 has more low and high end than the DT880. It may be better suited to rap and would still work well with rock. The SR325 is supposed to have better bass than the SR225 but is also more fatiguing at the upper end.

 

 

post #7 of 11

To answer your question directly, I would go with the DT 990 if I were you.

post #8 of 11

As far as an amp goes the Little Dot 1+ is supposed to be a fine amp. You can roll tubes with it which can be a lot of fun. I use a Schiit Vali and it works very, very well with my DT880. It warms up the sound of DT880 the perfect amount IMO.

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Out View Post

As far as an amp goes the Little Dot 1+ is supposed to be a fine amp. You can roll tubes with it which can be a lot of fun. I use a Schiit Vali and it works very, very well with my DT880. It warms up the sound of DT880 the perfect amount IMO.
Do you think fiio e07k could be good with the dt990?

And do you think the dt990 would be an upgrade for my current audio technica m50?
post #10 of 11

I have never heard the e07K, but from the power specs on Fiio's website I don't think it would drive the DT990 very well if you go with the 250 ohm version. The e07k only outputs 36 mW into 300 ohms. The Little Dot 1+ will output 120 mW into 300 ohms and the Vali will output 220mW. I would suggest you go with the 250 ohm version for future scalability as well as they supposedly sound better than the 32 ohm version. The 600 ohm version is supposed to be the best sounding version but you have to get into more expensive amps to get the most out of them. Are you looking for an amp that includes a DAC as well as being portable? How much are you willing to spend?

 

I definitely think without a doubt the DT990 would be an upgrade from the ATH-M50. I own the M50's also and they are a decent headphone, but the DT880's blow them out of the water in every way IMO. I found the M50's midrange pretty recessed and they had a very sizzley treble as well as bloated bass. I never listen to my M50's anymore since I got the DT880.


Edited by Spiral Out - 2/22/14 at 7:53pm
post #11 of 11

It's a myth perpetuated on here that this or that headphone is inherently good or bad for this or that genre of music. It depends much more on your own preference, which depends most on what you are used to. When you are starting out it really is a process of trial and error, once you've heard a few different headphones you have a reference point from which you can assess what other people recommend. I reckon your best bet is to take your DAP to a local Apple store or hifi shop that has a bunch of headphones and try a bunch out. Then you can either just buy the ones you like or come back here for some suggestions based on what you liked. These days it's relatively easy to demo a decent range of decent headphones (Momentums, Amperiors, Sony MDR-1, B&O H6, B&W P7).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › What do you think about Beyerdynamic DT880 for Rock & Rap