Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DT990/DT880 compare to AD900x?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DT990/DT880 compare to AD900x?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi! I am very new to the headphone scene and not planning to invest in my first open back headphone. I have about $140 and only listen to classical music, so after a bit of research on the classified I nailed down my selections onto three headphones: the beyerdynamic DT990 pro, DT880 pro, and ATH-AD900x.

 

I have heard the DT990 pro and liked it a lot, and heard a good deal of recommendation for the other two on their performance on classical musics. Would someone kindly describe the difference on sound between the three of them?

 

Thank you very much for your time!

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by linziyi View Post
 

Hi! I am very new to the headphone scene and not planning to invest in my first open back headphone. I have about $140 and only listen to classical music, so after a bit of research on the classified I nailed down my selections onto three headphones: the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro, DT880 pro, and ATH-AD900x.

 

I have heard the DT990 pro and liked it a lot, and heard a good deal of recommendation for the other two on their performance on classical musics. Would someone kindly describe the difference on sound between the three of them?

 

Thank you very much for your time!

The DT880 would have a more balance sound, compared to the DT990 stronger bass/treble.

The AD900X is only 40-ohm and can work without a headphone amplifier, were as the 250-Ohm Beyers really need to be used with a head amp.

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

How does the sound of AD900X compare to the other two then? Is it more coloured or more neutral?

post #4 of 9

The things that the DT990 excel at are movies and gaming not classical music.  I would suggest the DT880 or the AD900X for the same reasons as BlueAngel described above.  The DT880 and AD900X are much more neutral than the DT990.  Innerfidelity.com has some graphs, under their Resources section, where you can compare the DT880 and the AD900 to each other.


Edited by Byrnie - 2/21/14 at 10:45am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by linziyi View Post
 

How does the sound of AD900X compare to the other two then? Is it more coloured or more neutral?

As your budget is $140, it's a little short for the headphones your looking into, unless you find a really good deal on used.

You might consider getting the Sehhheiser HD558s, Amazon sells used for $94.

 

What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

I own the DT880s and DT990s, also the ATH-A900X closed headphones, so I'm guessing on the AD900X open headphone.

I guess later today all listen to all three headphones, before try to describe there differences in sound.

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 

I am planning to use them with my pc/nexus10/nexus7.

 

If that doesn't work out I am planning to buy the fiio e10 or another entry level dac/amp according to advices from more experienced people.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

As your budget is $140, it's a little short for the headphones your looking into, unless you find a really good deal on used.

You might consider getting the Sehhheiser HD558s, Amazon sells used for $94.

 

What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

I own the DT880s and DT990s, also the ATH-A900X closed headphones, so I'm guessing on the AD900X open headphone.

I guess later today all listen to all three headphones, before try to describe there differences in sound.

Actually, I've owned all three, the open AD 900x the DT 990 and the DT 880, for what it's worth the AD 900x is alike a fushion of the DT 880 and the DT 990, without the detail of either

 

I enjoyed the DT 990 very much for classical!  

 

The AD900X has a slightly larger sound stage and a little more edge to it, with an aggressive  textured bass, yet with a nice  delicate body in it’s mids.  

 

The Dt 880, has a slightly narrower but deeper sound stage, a tad more natural timbre and a slightly smoother yet equally detailed sound.

 

That's what I gleamed after listening to the two back to back, and this was at the time out of my rather Warm Matrix M Stage Amp

here is a link to the full review 

http://hifilittleriver.blogspot.com/2013/09/audio-technica-ad900x-big-thanks-to-mr.html

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680549/mid-fi-sub-200-grudge-match-the-quest-for-neutrality-live-ath-ad-900x-vs-dt-880-added

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

As your budget is $140, it's a little short for the headphones your looking into, unless you find a really good deal on used.

You might consider getting the Sehhheiser HD558s, Amazon sells used for $94.

 

What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

I own the DT880s and DT990s, also the ATH-A900X closed headphones, so I'm guessing on the AD900X open headphone.

I guess later today all listen to all three headphones, before try to describe there differences in sound.

Hi! So I looked at your signature and discovered that you own a pair of brainwavz hm5! That's the one I have right now, in addition to the sennheiser PX360. The HM5 is a bit flat for me and the PX360 produces a strange, spiky sound. How are the DT880/990 and AD900x compare to the HM5 in your opinion? Someone mentioned that DT880 is more neutral, does that mean I should turn to something else if I desire a pair with different sound than the HM5, which is often praised for its neutrality?


Edited by linziyi - 2/21/14 at 11:42am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by linziyi View Post
 

Hi! So I looked at your signature and discovered that you own a pair of brainwavz hm5! That's the one I have right now, in addition to the sennheiser PX360. The HM5 is a bit flat for me and the PX360 produces a strange, spiky sound. How are the DT880/990 and AD900x compare to the HM5 in your opinion? Someone mentioned that DT880 is more neutral, does that mean I should turn to something else if I desire a pair with different sound than the HM5, which is often praised for its neutrality?

I never use my HM5s, too much grip on the head and the bass is too light, but in general has good sound quality, for it's price range.

The DT880, I guess you could call them neutral, I think the DT880 would be good with any type of music or watching movies or gaming.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DT990/DT880 compare to AD900x?