Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Open Headphones under $500 to Complement MD2000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Open Headphones under $500 to Complement MD2000 - Page 2

post #16 of 25
I think the 702 annie would work better than the 712.
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post

I think the 702 annie would work better than the 712.
My impression was that they were essentially the same thing, and the annie is much harder to find.
post #18 of 25

If you look around carefully, it is sometimes possible to find HE-500's for close to $500. Used or otherwise.

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeANite View Post


My impression was that they were essentially the same thing, and the annie is much harder to find.

I read otherwise that the 712 was a step down from the 702 Annie but it's possible I'm not as in the know, as you might be.

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post

I read otherwise that the 712 was a step down from the 702 Annie but it's possible I'm not as in the know, as you might be.

"In the know" comes from listening. It's crucial to indicate what the opinion is based on.
Edited by Claritas - 2/23/14 at 2:49pm
post #21 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post


"In the know" comes from listening. It's crucial to indicate what the opinion is based on.

I'm no more "in the know" than Byrnie on this.  Everything I know about the two is based on reading, but from going through the K712 thread, the consensus seems to be that they're very similar, if not the same.  I'm not sure where he read that the annies were superior (though I can say that they look better).

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeANite View Post

I'm no more "in the know" than Byrnie on this.  Everything I know about the two is based on reading, but from going through the K712 thread, the consensus seems to be that they're very similar, if not the same.  I'm not sure where he read that the annies were superior (though I can say that they look better).

They use different drivers.
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post


"In the know" comes from listening. It's crucial to indicate what the opinion is based on.

I realize what "in the know" means that's why I used the phrase and didn't direct it toward me...  Maybe you thought that I had some sarcasm in my comment (there wasn't any placed there intentionally, I was merely chatting with another enthusiast)?  I'm not quite sure what you're getting at or asking.  Anyway it doesn't really matter where I read it because this is a discussion board, not a trial, and that's what we were having was discussion.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeANite View Post
 

 Everything I know about the two is based on reading, but from going through the K712 thread, the consensus seems to be that they're very similar, if not the same.  I'm not sure where he read that the annies were superior (though I can say that they look better).

 

Thank you for the information!  I'll have to check out that thread and re-evaluate possibly putting these on my "Want" list :beerchug:.

 

**Fixed some weird formatting errors**


Edited by Byrnie - 2/23/14 at 6:11pm
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post


They use different drivers.

I've seen the email from AKG that says  they use a different "capsule" (whatever that is), but people who have heard both generally say that they sound basically the same.  Heck, some people have also said that they have to try hard to hear the difference between the K712s and modded Q701s.  I know hearsay is no substitute for experience, but it's all I've got to work on here.  For me, the biggest deciding factor is that the annies are no longer in production, and so will be more expensive and more difficult to find.

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeANite View Post
 

I've seen the email from AKG that says  they use a different "capsule" (whatever that is), but people who have heard both generally say that they sound basically the same.  Heck, some people have also said that they have to try hard to hear the difference between the K712s and modded Q701s.  I know hearsay is no substitute for experience, but it's all I've got to work on here.  For me, the biggest deciding factor is that the annies are no longer in production, and so will be more expensive and more difficult to find.

 

The annie is the standard K702 with different pads that have memory foam. They gave a better seal, so the sound became a little warmer. You can buy the pads separately and attach them to K702, if you want to.

 

I haven't heard K712. So far as I know the drivers are bigger and the pads aren't angled. The effect is more bass. And it tastes like a carrot. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Open Headphones under $500 to Complement MD2000