Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Is there a newsletter or society for people who believe that headphone amplifiers are largely redundant scam products?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there a newsletter or society for people who believe that headphone amplifiers are largely... - Page 6  

post #76 of 211
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 

That's odd science.  If you have a reference to support that premise I'd be interested in getting a link.  

 

Wait. Let me provide an example. Say you go from a 40 foot cable, to a 5 foot cable. That has to improve the quality, no? So simply reducing the length from 10 feet (or whatever the stock HD800 cable's length is) to 5 feet should help. Plus, if indeed the cardas cables are made of a better material (and I do have a suspicion that the audiophile community is a mark for any con artist wishing to overcharge for stuff that costs $10 to make but any way) then that should add another boost no?

 

Edit: The problem is I won't be able to do critical listening tests to compare the cables, because it takes too much effort to plug and unplug HD800 cables from the headphone.


Edited by ag8908 - 2/25/14 at 6:33pm
post #77 of 211

Ah...but the thing here is:  you are NOT actually going from 40 foot to 5 foot.  So I can't accept that example as valid.

 

I don't have documentation at hand here but if you go from, a normal (say, 10 ft) cable to something shorter then all things being equal I do not think there will be a perceptible change in quality.

post #78 of 211
Thread Starter 

What about the cardas materials?

post #79 of 211

Don't know it but if the basic construction is good then it'll perform well (which is not saying better than perhaps cheaper alternatives but as I said previously, I'm not a 'cable guy', couldn't hear any difference between the stock cable on my HE-6 and an 800 EUR alternative nor for that matter between my RCA interconnects (about 50 Euro) and a friend's 2700 EUR (!) pair.

post #80 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post
 

What about the cardas materials?

You argued amp and source made no difference and now you argue cable make a difference? Just pointing that out.

post #81 of 211
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post
 

You argued amp and source made no difference and now you argue cable make a difference? Just pointing that out.

 

When did I say source material made no difference? Beside, with the cable, the worst thing that can happen is it sounds the same, but I still benefit by having a shorter cable.

 

Edit: The thing about an amp is that not only does it not do anything, but it's also a bulky inconvenience.


Edited by ag8908 - 2/25/14 at 7:19pm
post #82 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post
 

Wait. Let me provide an example. Say you go from a 40 foot cable, to a 5 foot cable. That has to improve the quality, no? So simply reducing the length from 10 feet (or whatever the stock HD800 cable's length is) to 5 feet should help.

 

Help what? Not having a bunch of wire to trip over? Because there is absolutely no audible difference between a 10 foot and 5 foot cable if it adheres to the most basic quality standards.

 

Logic exercise: Let's say I have ten gallons of gas in my car. If I try to drive to Koala Lampur, it isn't going to come close to getting me there. So therefore, if I drive to the market on the corner instead of the market a mile away, it should get me to the market better, right?


Edited by bigshot - 2/25/14 at 7:31pm
post #83 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

 

Help what? Not having a bunch of wire to trip over? Because there is absolutely no audible difference between a 10 foot and 5 foot cable if it adheres to the most basic quality standards.

 

Logic exercise: Let's say I have ten gallons of gas in my car. If I try to drive to Koala Lampur, it isn't going to come close to getting me there. So therefore, if I drive to the market on the corner instead of the market a mile away, it should get me to the market better, right?

Lol, I agree, especially because there's the small matter of an ocean lying between the US and Kuala Lumpur :tongue_smile:

post #84 of 211

This has been a fun read. 

 

I've said it a few times: It sort of irks me when new folks to headphone audio log onto Head-Fi do a bunch of reading, decide they want to buy <insert headphone> and immediately make a post asking what amp to buy to go with it.

It looks as if there is a misconception that a dedicated headphone amp is required to get decent performance from headphones. I don't think many people realize that there are likely a couple of headphone amps in their house perfectly capable of driving a wide range of headphones to satisfying levels without audible distortion.

 

As a matter of fact, I'm about to be moving into a new apartment.  It's a nice place, but my budget doesn't allow for a lot of square footage and I'll likely not have space for my current Stax rig.  I'm actually thinking of selling the Stax/LD MKIVse/Woo Wee and just using my Sennheisers (HD580 and HD650) from my HT receiver and my Logitech computer speakers headphone out. Both of those drive my dynamic headphones very well imo. Although the Senns can't match the Stax for sheer speed and resolution, I enjoy them as much.

post #85 of 211

On a more serious note:  I think I'll bow out of this thread.  No disrespect to the OP but his mind appears set.  I fundamentally disagree on his stance regarding amplification etc but think we've reached the edge of reason here.

post #86 of 211
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

 

Help what? Not having a bunch of wire to trip over? Because there is absolutely no audible difference between a 10 foot and 5 foot cable if it adheres to the most basic quality standards.

 

Logic exercise: Let's say I have ten gallons of gas in my car. If I try to drive to Koala Lampur, it isn't going to come close to getting me there. So therefore, if I drive to the market on the corner instead of the market a mile away, it should get me to the market better, right?


Sound degrades continuously as the length of the wire increases It's not like there is no degradation until you hit 10 feet, then suddenly there is a degradation cliff or something.

post #87 of 211
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
 

This has been a fun read. 

 

I've said it a few times: It sort of irks me when new folks to headphone audio log onto Head-Fi do a bunch of reading, decide they want to buy <insert headphone> and immediately make a post asking what amp to buy to go with it.

It looks as if there is a misconception that a dedicated headphone amp is required to get decent performance from headphones. I don't think many people realize that there are likely a couple of headphone amps in their house perfectly capable of driving a wide range of headphones to satisfying levels without audible distortion.


Exactly. The tragedy occurs when a person buys an $800 headphone and a $600 amp, when they would enjoy their music so much more if they just purchased a $1,500 headphone and plugged it into any jack with a decent amp, such as their high end cell phone or computer; or if they purchased two $700 headphones with different sound signatures that they could alternate according to the music.


Edited by ag8908 - 2/25/14 at 7:47pm
post #88 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post
 


Exactly. The tragedy occurs when a person buys an $800 headphone and a $600 amp, when they would enjoy their music so much more if they just purchased a $1,500 headphone and plugged it into any jack with a decent amp, such as their high end cell phone or computer; or if they purchased two $700 headphones with different sound signatures that they could alternate according to the music.

Well, I dare you to test that statement with my HE-6, then come back and say it sounds decent.  I see your point though but generalisation is risky.

post #89 of 211
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 

Well, I dare you to test that statement with my HE-6, then come back and say it sounds decent.  I see your point though but generalisation is risky.

 

The HE-6 supposedly need 5 watts, which is about 10 times the power put out by normal headphone jacks so that may be true.

 

However, you should not have to spend $1,000 -$2,000 to get 5 watts of power. That should cost no more than say $100 or so to make. so the point still stands in a sense.

post #90 of 211

No contest, if you know what you're doing then beyond any doubt you can build a good quality amp for the HE-6 for a couple 100 (excluding the case, that's the biggest cost).  Or purchase a vintage (speaker) amp, throw in a resistor if required and you're set.  It doesn't HAVE to expensive but still, you'll need amplification that goes well beyond what an iPhone or for that matter many (expensive) headphone amps can deliver.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Is there a newsletter or society for people who believe that headphone amplifiers are largely redundant scam products?