or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › College Kid, Hi-Fi dreams. Making the best start: desktop listening system
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

College Kid, Hi-Fi dreams. Making the best start: desktop listening system - Page 2

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhochman View Post
 

I feel settled on the HD600's thanks to everyone's help here.  Now, how does everyone feel about the Magni vs. Vali as the best amp to pair with these phones?

 

Personally I feel that the Magni is a tad too bright, so I went for the Vali. Also, I prefer the sound of tubes. 

post #17 of 23
Thread Starter 

I have ordered the hd600's. Once they come in, I think I'll order the modi, vali and magni and audition the the amps.  I'll keep everyone posted on how things develop.  Thank you all so much for your help and input.

 

Another question.  Since I have a newer macbook air, the only input/ options I have are two usb 3.0's and a thunderbolt.  I have a usb 3.0 external hard drive that I am planning on using for my music library, once I start downloading more lossless tracks, and obviously the the modi is fed by a usb out from the computer.  I have read that it is not ideal to use the same bus to drive the external head drive and the dac, but I just don't have the money to buy a thunderbolt external hard drive.  How big of a deal is it to be driving the external hard drive and the dac with the same bus.  Is overloading/interference a legitimately threatening problem, or is it just 'not ideal?' 

post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhochman View Post
 

I have ordered the hd600's. Once they come in, I think I'll order the modi, vali and magni and audition the the amps.  I'll keep everyone posted on how things develop.  Thank you all so much for your help and input.

 

Another question.  Since I have a newer macbook air, the only input/ options I have are two usb 3.0's and a thunderbolt.  I have a usb 3.0 external hard drive that I am planning on using for my music library, once I start downloading more lossless tracks, and obviously the the modi is fed by a usb out from the computer.  I have read that it is not ideal to use the same bus to drive the external head drive and the dac, but I just don't have the money to buy a thunderbolt external hard drive.  How big of a deal is it to be driving the external hard drive and the dac with the same bus.  Is overloading/interference a legitimately threatening problem, or is it just 'not ideal?' 

Don't think you'll be experiencing problems. The macbook has optical out by the way, but modi doesn't support that anyway..

post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Don't think you'll be experiencing problems. The macbook has optical out by the way, but modi doesn't support that anyway..

 



I was under the impression that while the macbook pro's have optical out (through the headphone jack, if I'm not mistaken/utterly confused), the air's lack that option.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/17075609#17075609

But if loading the usb bus on both ends (importing from drive, exporting to dac) isn't a big deal, then great!
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhochman View Post
 

I have ordered the hd600's. Once they come in, I think I'll order the modi, vali and magni and audition the the amps.  I'll keep everyone posted on how things develop.  Thank you all so much for your help and input.

 

Another question.  Since I have a newer macbook air, the only input/ options I have are two usb 3.0's and a thunderbolt.  I have a usb 3.0 external hard drive that I am planning on using for my music library, once I start downloading more lossless tracks, and obviously the the modi is fed by a usb out from the computer.  I have read that it is not ideal to use the same bus to drive the external head drive and the dac, but I just don't have the money to buy a thunderbolt external hard drive.  How big of a deal is it to be driving the external hard drive and the dac with the same bus.  Is overloading/interference a legitimately threatening problem, or is it just 'not ideal?' 

I wouldn't chance it, you never know your music could get choppy (I'm guessing here) when you perform large file transfers.  Just hook up each to their own USB port given you said you have 2.

post #21 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnie View Post
 

I wouldn't chance it, you never know your music could get choppy (I'm guessing here) when you perform large file transfers.  Just hook up each to their own USB port given you said you have 2.

I've read that it's not about whether you're using different ports or not, but the fact that those port are both using the same internal usb bus; Since they're both usb ports, they're both transferring information through the same paths.  Apparently, that can lead to chop regardless of whether or not they are plugged into different ports, people recommend using a firewire or thunderbolt connection to the hard drive, and a usb connection out to the dac, that way you're using separate paths that don't interfere at all.  But again, this is just stuff that I've read; you guys have real world experience with this stuff, so ultimately, I trust you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post
 

Don't think you'll be experiencing problems. The macbook has optical out by the way, but modi doesn't support that anyway..

That's what I though too, but apparently the dual function headphone jack/optical out has been replace with just an analog jack on the newer macbook air's.  The macbook pro's still have that though.

 

Thanks so much guys!

post #22 of 23

Please let us know your impressions when you get all your gear :wink_face:

post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhochman View Post
 

I've read that it's not about whether you're using different ports or not, but the fact that those port are both using the same internal usb bus; Since they're both usb ports, they're both transferring information through the same paths.  Apparently, that can lead to chop regardless of whether or not they are plugged into different ports, people recommend using a firewire or thunderbolt connection to the hard drive, and a usb connection out to the dac, that way you're using separate paths that don't interfere at all.  But again, this is just stuff that I've read; you guys have real world experience with this stuff, so ultimately, I trust you.

Sounds like the usual BS from audiophiles who know nothing about computers and digital audio. Don't worry about it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › College Kid, Hi-Fi dreams. Making the best start: desktop listening system