Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › College student looking for lightweight, portable circumaural headphones for varied music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

College student looking for lightweight, portable circumaural headphones for varied music - Page 2

post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 

Thank you for the input. I thought that Aviators and CAL! had decent sound containment but perhaps not. 

 

I wasn't thrilled with the comfort of the M50 headband but I might just have to give it another try! My friend's was pretty old so that might have been a factor. Seems like I have to decide between comfort and quality for my price range....

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcat View Post
 

Thank you for the input. I thought that Aviators and CAL! had decent sound containment but perhaps not. 

 

I wasn't thrilled with the comfort of the M50 headband but I might just have to give it another try! My friend's was pretty old so that might have been a factor. Seems like I have to decide between comfort and quality for my price range....


To be honest, the only choice you really have that's in your price range while being both comfortable and producing high sound quality are IEMs.

 

It must be emphasized, though, that if your think the headphones sound good compared to some other options, there's no reason you shouldn't pick them. But, at <$150, you're going to have to deal with a compromise somewhere. If you absolutely must have lightweight comfort, and sound quality without involving some degree of muddy bass, you should just end up saving your money. I haven't found any headphones that could be confidently suggested in your price range that meet all of the criteria. Someone might prove me wrong, but the ones that are lightweight and comfortable sacrifice audio fidelity.

post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 


To be honest, the only choice you really have that's in your price range while being both comfortable and producing high sound quality are IEMs.

 

It must be emphasized, though, that if your think the headphones sound good compared to some other options, there's no reason you shouldn't pick them. But, at <$150, you're going to have to deal with a compromise somewhere. If you absolutely must have lightweight comfort, and sound quality without involving some degree of muddy bass, you should just end up saving your money. I haven't found any headphones that could be confidently suggested in your price range that meet all of the criteria. Someone might prove me wrong, but the ones that are lightweight and comfortable sacrifice audio fidelity.

Actually, I kind of veered off what I was thinking for a while and have made a bit of an impulsive purchase with a V-Moda M80! In making that decision I definitely put more emphasis on comfort than sound quality preference.

 

I had tried out my friend's V-Moda LP, which I really liked in terms of comfort and weight but was more ambivalent about the sound quality that was very bass heavy and weaker on the mid/treble. So I became curious about the M80s, since on Head-Fi the general consensus seems to be that it is more balanced than the LPs. Hopefully the M80 keeps the comfort of the LP (although I know it's supra-aural and some of the comfort will be lost) but has the improved sound quality!

 

If that doesn't work out, it's back to the drawing board. :rolleyes: 

post #19 of 22

If you're into bass, V-Moda headphones are a great choice. Their sound signatures are usually geared towards it, but unlike say, Beats or Skullcandy, the bass isn't so overpowering that it drowns out the clarity of the music.

 

Happy to see you made your choice, though! I hope you don't mind on-ear headphones. M-80s are lighter than the Crossfade LPs, too.

post #20 of 22

The Koss Porta Pro suitably modded (by e.g. HiFlight) would be worth investigating and runs to about $100. Also, the Thinksound On1 Monitor Series headphones are remarkably good - http://www.thinksound.com/on1.php - though they're more expensive at $250.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcat View Post
 

Actually, I kind of veered off what I was thinking for a while and have made a bit of an impulsive purchase with a V-Moda M80! In making that decision I definitely put more emphasis on comfort than sound quality preference.

 

I had tried out my friend's V-Moda LP, which I really liked in terms of comfort and weight but was more ambivalent about the sound quality that was very bass heavy and weaker on the mid/treble. So I became curious about the M80s, since on Head-Fi the general consensus seems to be that it is more balanced than the LPs. Hopefully the M80 keeps the comfort of the LP (although I know it's supra-aural and some of the comfort will be lost) but has the improved sound quality!

 

If that doesn't work out, it's back to the drawing board. :rolleyes: 

post #21 of 22

those headphones are even larger than the m50's. Were trying to progress this guys choice eh

post #22 of 22

If you're referring to the Thinksound On1 they're actually more compact than the m50, as the earcups are significantly smaller. Beats me why you'd think that they're larger?!? 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiquita Speaks View Post
 

those headphones are even larger than the m50's. Were trying to progress this guys choice eh

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › College student looking for lightweight, portable circumaural headphones for varied music