Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox) - Page 24

post #346 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwtriode View Post
 

What do you find are the differences between the Slants and the Enigmas.  I find the Slants to be incredibly well balanced with virtually no character of their own other than a hint of warmth and just a touch of extra bass punch and snap which I really enjoy.  Soundstage can be quite large when it is in the recordings..  this is especially true when I watch movies with them.   They are very much like wearing a set of really good loudspeakers.  Far more that way then Grado RS1's I owned years ago.  Haven't done much with headphones over the years.  Circumstances

dictate that now until I get back into a larger place and things are going better.   Last really good speakers I owned were the Talon Audio Khorus run with Meshplate triodes.   Honestly these sound nearly as big and are slightly more resolving of details.  Stuff they bring out blows my mind.  Hearing subleties and counter beats in music I was never previously aware of.

 

Which other one of Luis' masterpieces do you own and how does that compare?  Would love to have a pair of enigmas as well, but money 

has to go into  amps and finishing up my music server.

 

Happy Listening,

 

jgwtriode

 

Sorry about the delayed reply… just caught up on the thread. I had three of Luis’s headphones on hand: the Enigma, Paradox Slants, and his own iteration of the HE-5 “Code-X”. All of them have a different flavor but with similarities.

 

In comparison, the Enigma is definitely the most colored of the bunch. They aren’t overly lush, but are presented with a romantic, intimate type sound. Slightly laid back treble and warm in the bass. The mids seem to be set right where I like them… clear and detailed with a hint of sweetness. I didn’t write up a review of my own on the Enigma because I honestly feel MF described them much better than I ever would have.

 

The Paradox Slants in comparison are more “neutral”. They don’t have quite as much coloration or emphasis in certain areas like the Enigma. When talking about tone, I actually prefer the Enigma… but for my general use for work and school… I need something with a flatter response.  The Slants have some emphasis in the sub region which I like a lot, especially for movie editing and games. Really gives you that thrill factor which I feel isn’t there with the Enigma. The Enigma are much more suited for long listening sessions with a pleasant tone that lets you relax and unwind with a bottle of scotch or wine. When I first heard them they didn’t click right away. I thought they were a bit slow and lush for my tastes but you really start to appreciate them with a good transistor amp. I originally was running them off of my DNA Stratus which is already tuned for my HD800, that is also romantic, liquid and smooth. One thing I should mention about the Enigma is they have excellent imaging. They seem to have good focus and give me partially what the HD800 does so well which is give me almost a 3D like sound. There is actually a center stage with these headphones which is a major plus. Most other headphones give you left and right, but not much in between. The depth is quite impressive.

 

The Code-X is in a completely different league and are more "natural". After hearing these I could not justify owning the Enigma and I’m questioning whether or not I need my LCD-3 anymore. These seem to have that tactility that I look for in my headphones. It is hard to explain, but I would describe it as a physical presence or body that seems to really give you chills when you hear it. Sound is definitely intimate, probably more so than the Enigma which I felt had very good soundstaging and imaging for a closed back (isolating) headphone. The Code-X just seems to be more balanced to me. They don’t have much going on in terms of wonkiness, except for some slight glare in the treble range. Instruments can sound too hot or have too much sizzle but that really is only when A) the recording is not up to par B) I’m using alternate equipment from my main rig (which is of less quality). On my main system these just give let me sit back and enjoy music. I don’t need to analyze anything because I know these aren’t as detailed as my HD800, or as visceral as my HE-6 but they still are enjoyable headphones that are extremely comfortable and are great all-around.

 

So to sum up – The Enigma is a very special headphone. From the custom wood cups to the intimate tuning, I haven’t heard a headphone like this before. I would say these aren’t for everyone. They played right on the edge for me, right there between highly detailed and musical. Typically you have to give up some to gain the other. I haven’t come across a headphone or any piece of gear for that matter that is able to sound organic and “musical” while still being up to snuff in terms of resolution and detailed. It is a balance of scales and I think the Enigma plays that edge. It has enough detail to satisfy most users, scales quite well with a higher end chain to improve in all areas, and it sounds enjoyable with just about every genre I threw at it. In the end, I couldn’t justify owning it despite my gratitude towards Luis for giving me the opportunity to hear it early and purchase #001. Still these are the real deal and check most of the boxes. Definitely worth the asking price considering the time spent on each individual pair and custom quality you get. 


Edited by Greed - 4/30/14 at 8:54am
post #347 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

Sorry about the delayed reply… just caught up on the thread. I had three of Luis’s headphones on hand: the Enigma, Paradox Slants, and his own iteration of the HE-5 “Code-X”. All of them have a different flavor but with similarities.

In comparison, the Enigma is definitely the most colored of the bunch. They aren’t overly lush, but are presented with a romantic, intimate type sound. Slightly laid back treble and warm in the bass. The mids seem to be set right where I like them… clear and detailed with a hint of sweetness. I didn’t write up a review of my own on the Enigma because I honestly feel MF described them much better than I ever would have.

The Paradox Slants in comparison are more “neutral”. They don’t have quite as much coloration or emphasis in certain areas like the Enigma. When talking about tone, I actually prefer the Enigma… but for my general use for work and school… I need something with a flatter response.  The Slants have some emphasis in the sub region which I like a lot, especially for movie editing and games. Really gives you that thrill factor which I feel isn’t there with the Enigma. The Enigma are much more suited for long listening sessions with a pleasant tone that lets you relax and unwind with a bottle of scotch or wine. When I first heard them they didn’t click right away. I thought they were a bit slow and lush for my tastes but you really start to appreciate them with a good transistor amp. I originally was running them off of my DNA Stratus which is already tuned for my HD800, that is also romantic, liquid and smooth. One thing I should mention about the Enigma is they have excellent imaging. They seem to have good focus and give me partially what the HD800 does so well which is give me almost a 3D like sound. There is actually a center stage with these headphones which is a major plus. Most other headphones give you left and right, but not much in between. The depth is quite impressive.

The Code-X is in a completely different league and are more "natural". After hearing these I could not justify owning the Enigma and I’m questioning whether or not I need my LCD-3 anymore. These seem to have that tactility that I look for in my headphones. It is hard to explain, but I would describe it as a physical presence or body that seems to really give you chills when you hear it. Sound is definitely intimate, probably more so than the Enigma which I felt had very good soundstaging and imaging for a closed back (isolating) headphone. The Code-X just seems to be more balanced to me. They don’t have much going on in terms of wonkiness, except for some slight glare in the treble range. Instruments can sound too hot or have too much sizzle but that really is only when A) the recording is not up to par B) I’m using alternate equipment from my main rig (which is of less quality). On my main system these just give let me sit back and enjoy music. I don’t need to analyze anything because I know these aren’t as detailed as my HD800, or as visceral as my HE-6 but they still are enjoyable headphones that are extremely comfortable and are great all-around.

So to sum up – The Enigma is a very special headphone. From the custom wood cups to the intimate tuning, I haven’t heard a headphone like this before. I would say these aren’t for everyone. They played right on the edge for me, right there between highly detailed and musical. Typically you have to give up some to gain the other. I haven’t come across a headphone or any piece of gear for that matter that is able to sound organic and “musical” while still being up to snuff in terms of resolution and detailed. It is a balance of scales and I think the Enigma plays that edge. It has enough detail to satisfy most users, scales quite well with a higher end chain to improve in all areas, and it sounds enjoyable with just about every genre I threw at it. In the end, I couldn’t justify owning it despite my gratitude towards Luis for giving me the opportunity to hear it early and purchase #001. Still these are the real deal and check most of the boxes. Definitely worth the asking price considering the time spent on each individual pair and custom quality you get. 
Hey a fellow code-x owner biggrin.gif
Owning also one of the 20 NOS code-x'es Luis made (from new stock!), i can agree what u just said about them..they are sometthing special..BUT..they need good equipment to sound on its best..and am not only talking about power...i heard many many headphones until now..and this phone is by far the most musical of them all...call it a soul...i dont know how to call it differently... No, technically they are probably not like a he6 or a hd800, But the emotion they show u, especially on more analog sounding/ recorded music (example:queen).. Its just Breathtaking!!!

but as u said and i repeat it again..they need very good quality components/recordings...a emotiva wont (eventhough he has power enough) cut it if u want to wring all out of that unique phone...only pity almost no one talks about this phone redface.gif

Hope to hear a paradox soon to complement my codex-x with a closed headphone for gaming and movies on my pc.
Edited by hifimanrookie - 5/1/14 at 2:57pm
post #348 of 477

I would agree with Greed's assessment with the addition that the assertiveness of the Mjolnir makes the amp an excellent pairing for these headphones. I find myself really tapping my toes at my desk quite often. These are the perfect headphones for my workday and perform admirably from even a modest setup. 

 

I have the HD800s and will be taking delivery on the Code-X (I'm on the list) at home but this is the perfect can for my work day.

post #349 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
 

 

Sorry about the delayed reply… just caught up on the thread. I had three of Luis’s headphones on hand: the Enigma, Paradox Slants, and his own iteration of the HE-5 “Code-X”. All of them have a different flavor but with similarities.

 

In comparison, the Enigma is definitely the most colored of the bunch. They aren’t overly lush, but are presented with a romantic, intimate type sound. Slightly laid back treble and warm in the bass. The mids seem to be set right where I like them… clear and detailed with a hint of sweetness. I didn’t write up a review of my own on the Enigma because I honestly feel MF described them much better than I ever would have.

 

The Paradox Slants in comparison are more “neutral”. They don’t have quite as much coloration or emphasis in certain areas like the Enigma. When talking about tone, I actually prefer the Enigma… but for my general use for work and school… I need something with a flatter response.  The Slants have some emphasis in the sub region which I like a lot, especially for movie editing and games. Really gives you that thrill factor which I feel isn’t there with the Enigma. The Enigma are much more suited for long listening sessions with a pleasant tone that lets you relax and unwind with a bottle of scotch or wine. When I first heard them they didn’t click right away. I thought they were a bit slow and lush for my tastes but you really start to appreciate them with a good transistor amp. I originally was running them off of my DNA Stratus which is already tuned for my HD800, that is also romantic, liquid and smooth. One thing I should mention about the Enigma is they have excellent imaging. They seem to have good focus and give me partially what the HD800 does so well which is give me almost a 3D like sound. There is actually a center stage with these headphones which is a major plus. Most other headphones give you left and right, but not much in between. The depth is quite impressive.

 

The Code-X is in a completely different league and are more "natural". After hearing these I could not justify owning the Enigma and I’m questioning whether or not I need my LCD-3 anymore. These seem to have that tactility that I look for in my headphones. It is hard to explain, but I would describe it as a physical presence or body that seems to really give you chills when you hear it. Sound is definitely intimate, probably more so than the Enigma which I felt had very good soundstaging and imaging for a closed back (isolating) headphone. The Code-X just seems to be more balanced to me. They don’t have much going on in terms of wonkiness, except for some slight glare in the treble range. Instruments can sound too hot or have too much sizzle but that really is only when A) the recording is not up to par B) I’m using alternate equipment from my main rig (which is of less quality). On my main system these just give let me sit back and enjoy music. I don’t need to analyze anything because I know these aren’t as detailed as my HD800, or as visceral as my HE-6 but they still are enjoyable headphones that are extremely comfortable and are great all-around.

 

So to sum up – The Enigma is a very special headphone. From the custom wood cups to the intimate tuning, I haven’t heard a headphone like this before. I would say these aren’t for everyone. They played right on the edge for me, right there between highly detailed and musical. Typically you have to give up some to gain the other. I haven’t come across a headphone or any piece of gear for that matter that is able to sound organic and “musical” while still being up to snuff in terms of resolution and detailed. It is a balance of scales and I think the Enigma plays that edge. It has enough detail to satisfy most users, scales quite well with a higher end chain to improve in all areas, and it sounds enjoyable with just about every genre I threw at it. In the end, I couldn’t justify owning it despite my gratitude towards Luis for giving me the opportunity to hear it early and purchase #001. Still these are the real deal and check most of the boxes. Definitely worth the asking price considering the time spent on each individual pair and custom quality you get. 

 

   Thank you for the detailed response.  In terms of bass response and soundstage size and focus how do the slants compare with the code-x and the enigma's?    From the rest of your

   description I think I have a reasonably good handle on the differences other than that.   The Enigma's look gorgeous, but not sure they are the right sound for my tastes.  Don't get me

   wrong, I love warmth and romance especially in the mids, but I want that to come from the recording not the device.  So color me neutral with a hint of extra bass and soundstage space. 

  :L3000:

 

Happy Listening,

 

jgwtriode

post #350 of 477

I have received Enigma number VIII with the suji finish from Luis today while I'm at work.  The end of the day cannot come soon enough!

post #351 of 477

Finally had a bit of time to sit down with these.

 

They sound fantastic. Just as good as I remember at the meet. Sonically, out of the headphones I've heard they somewhat resemble the Fostex TH-900, which is a very good thing for me. The bass bump isn't quite as drastic and the treble is smoother, both of which are marked improvements over the aforementioned.

 

Some of the bad: I find I have to keep the little headband thing off, it's definitely made for smaller heads. I have quite a large head, which probably contributes to how clampy it is and how hot the earpads eventually get. Probably not popping these on for more than an hour or two at a time. It does seem like the right slider moves up and down, making it a bit difficult to keep a good fit. 

post #352 of 477

Can someone convince me to buy these? I'm so close to buying them, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger! What're you guys using for cables? Any cheap alternatives? I had a couple custom cables priced out.

post #353 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post

Can someone convince me to buy these? I'm so close to buying them, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger! What're you guys using for cables? Any cheap alternatives? I had a couple custom cables priced out.


 



It's the best closed headphone I've ever heard, and I've heard just about everything out there right now. If it wasn't for my huge noggin and comfort issues, I'd sell the other headphones I have and be completely content.

You can throw any mini XLR cable in the mix. If you have an Audeze stock cable or pick one up, it should work just fine.
post #354 of 477

So... it seems my Enigma's have arrived!!!! YAAAAAAYYY!!!

 

But, my cable still hasn't!!!! :(

I'm "this" close in ordering another cable from somewhere else... (I'll probably just go straight from Audeze...)


Edited by gelocks - 5/13/14 at 9:06am
post #355 of 477

I had two Paradox from Luis, hands down best phones for the buck at the moment.  Now with the Enigma I trust I will not be disappointed. 

 

Get some wires and plugs and start making your own cables.  Its easy once you make the first one.  Saved a ton on cables.  

post #356 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogeo333 View Post
 

I had two Paradox from Luis, hands down best phones for the buck at the moment.  Now with the Enigma I trust I will not be disappointed. 

 

Get some wires and plugs and start making your own cables.  Its easy once you make the first one.  Saved a ton on cables.  

 

I'm the worst ever at "DIY'ing" :p

(also, I don't have the time... well, I have time but it is spent doing other things... I'm one of those that prefer to pay even for fixing sinks and whatnot around the house! lol)

post #357 of 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post
 

Can someone convince me to buy these? I'm so close to buying them, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger! What're you guys using for cables? Any cheap alternatives? I had a couple custom cables priced out.

I was recently at a mini Head-Fi meet hosted by Luis. Of course he had all of his products available for audition. I listened to everything fairly extensively since my reason for attending the meet was to finally have a chance to really listen to all of Luis' headphones.

 

First, my tastes are clearly in the high-end detail, air, and openness. I own Stax 009's, HD800's, Koss ESP-950s, you get the idea. I have never owned a pair of closed cans.

 

I really didn't think I was going to care for any closed cans.

 

But after hearing the Paradox Slants and the Enigma, I ended up ordering one of each. Initially I thought I wasn't going to like the Enigma's. But there is something about those cans that just makes me want to keep listening to my music collection all over again. It's hard to explain since I am not a reviewer or have "golden ears", but the Enigmas have what Luis describes as a "romantic" sound. It's not hyper detailed like the HD800's or the Stax 009s, but the detail is all there and the bass has more weight and punch and impact. Maybe it's the mids with vocals that just sound so good. Maybe it's the isolation that gives such a black background that I am not used to with all my open cans.

 

Since I am local, Luis was kind enough to let me take home the Slants and Enigmas to listen more and for the last few days I have been listening to them exclusively. They are that good. (I will also be showing/demoing his headphones at the upcoming Headphonium at THE Show in Newport if you want to hear them for yourself.)

 

Also, I have a big head. I cannot wear Audeze's for very long due to the clamping force. I have a similar problem with the Enigma's, but with the suspension band and some bending of the headband, I am confident that I can reduce the clamping force to comfortable levels, even with my big head. (I didn't want to bend the demo pair I have, but will definitely bend my pair when I get them. Luis assures me it's not a problem.)

 

I am not affiliated with Luis and Paradox. I am not a dealer for him, etc. I just happened to really like his headphones.

post #358 of 477
"there is something about those cans that just makes me want to keep listening to my music collection all over again."

Funny that. I don't own them, but spent a little time with them in February. I felt that way about them. Very lovely sounding headphones.
post #359 of 477
'Best closed headphone I've ever heard' ... Don't make it too easy to decide guys :/
post #360 of 477

Danggit if I had more cash...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox)