or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Sennheiser RS 170 connecting without a headphone port?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser RS 170 connecting without a headphone port?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hello I am new to the world of wireless headphones for t.v and gaming, and have recently moved house and now require wirless headphones to be able to game late night and not disturb other people sleeping.

 

I am looking to get a 60inch t.v for me bedroom but the t.vs I am looking at do not say they come with a headphone port, what other ways can you connect the 170s to the t.v to be able to use wireless headphones?

Also are the other options if there are any inferior to pluggint he headphone port bit into the headphone port?

post #2 of 13

You can connect the RS 170 to your TV via headphone socket of the TV or the RCA audio sockets. The model comes with a cable that connects from the back of the device to the headphone socket of the TV, also an adaptor that connects to the back of the device and to the RCA audio output sockets of your TV.

 

If you connect via the headphone socket you will automatically mute the TV volume. If you connect via the audio sockets you'll need to turn the TV volume down.

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

the problem is the t.v has neither of these ports, it has a digital only output.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez Jaggs View Post

the problem is the t.v has neither of these ports, it has a digital only output.

With all due respect, i find that very hard to believe! All tv's made in the last twenty years have headphone sockets, audio output jacks, as well as varying numbers of analogoue and digital video outputs. Certainly any 60" tv you buy today will have these.

Check the specs of the tv you are looking at on the manufacturer website and come back to me!
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

With all due respect I think you need to take a look at the (newer) smart t.v's connections lol. Out of 3 t.vs I am looking to buy, all 60inchers they all ONLY have an optical output for audio, no headphone port or rca ports.

This is one of them..

Samsung PS60F5500


Edited by Tez Jaggs - 2/22/14 at 10:05am
post #6 of 13

I stand corrected :)

 

Maybe it is only on the "budget" plasmas? To keep costs down? I notice that their high OLED product has a minjack output and even their entry level LED's have a headphone socket. You do have some options though:

 

1/ Do you use a AV amp? If so you could connect the RS 170 to that headphone socket.

 

2/ Go for the RS 220 as it features an optical input. It is an amazing headphone (I use it at home when my wife has gone to bed) but it is more expensive than the RS 170.

 

3/ If the TV has a scart output you can buy a scart-to-rca connector (the model you listed has a scart but it may be an input only).

 

Otherwise you cannot connect the RS 120, 170 or 180 to a TV without some sort of analogue output.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

What about connecting via a DAC?

I have heard that the rs220 headphones have too much sound leakage as they are open back headphones, and as they will be used primarily for night time when rest of the family are in bed, that is no use to me.

post #8 of 13
The RS 220 are open and do leak sound. You could connect via a dac but i would be a little concerned with lag - by the time the signal is converted to analogue, then back to digital for transmission then back to digital again for your ears there is a danger to introduce a delay. But yes it could be done.

If having a pair of closed back wireless headphones is so important maybe you should choose another tv?
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
I personally don't think I want to spend 1.5-2grand on a t.v, 1grand is like my cut off point, it seems alot of t.vs just have an optical out now.
What is the likelihood of there being a delay, i have read alot of people have this setup with a dac converting from digital to analogue.
post #10 of 13

I don't know to be honest. Best way to know would be to ask one of those people!

 

In terms of the TV if you can sacrifice the size a little then you will plenty decent 50 inch TV's for around £1000. Like this:

 

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-kdl-50w829b

 

or similar from Samsung's LED TV range

 

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE50F6200AKXXU.

 

Good luck finding something that suits you!

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez Jaggs View Post

I personally don't think I want to spend 1.5-2grand on a t.v, 1grand is like my cut off point, it seems alot of t.vs just have an optical out now.
What is the likelihood of there being a delay, i have read alot of people have this setup with a dac converting from digital to analogue.


In the USA, most LCD's and Plasmas eliminated their rca outputs and went to (only) optical a few years ago.  Not all brands, but most including their high end.  European market models of the same televisions still include the rca jacks as well as the optical, or at least they did when I got my Panasonic plasma a few years ago.  Of OLED's I don't know, as they are very expensive and vapor ware in most local markets.

 

I bought a Panasonic plasma two years ago and had a pair of Sony wireless headphones.  After realizing that the television had no rca jacks "after I bought it", I had to find another solution.  I ended up buying a DAC made for that purpose and it's worked flawlessly for the last two years.  There is no noticeable audio delay when using the DAC.  You can buy them on amazon, but be careful because you can't just buy any one that you find, as many are made to only work with a PCM origin signal, and most new televisions output in Dolby digital only.  So you must find one that accepts Dolby digital audio and converts it to analog.  Some cable boxes still have rca outputs, but that wouldn't help you when/if you are using an external source like a DVD player, etc...

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannek View Post
 


In the USA, most LCD's and Plasmas eliminated their rca outputs and went to (only) optical a few years ago.  Not all brands, but most including their high end.  European market models of the same televisions still include the rca jacks as well as the optical, or at least they did when I got my Panasonic plasma a few years ago.  Of OLED's I don't know, as they are very expensive and vapor ware in most local markets.

 

I bought a Panasonic plasma two years ago and had a pair of Sony wireless headphones.  After realizing that the television had no rca jacks "after I bought it", I had to find another solution.  I ended up buying a DAC made for that purpose and it's worked flawlessly for the last two years.  There is no noticeable audio delay when using the DAC.  You can buy them on amazon, but be careful because you can't just buy any one that you find, as many are made to only work with a PCM origin signal, and most new televisions output in Dolby digital only.  So you must find one that accepts Dolby digital audio and converts it to analog.  Some cable boxes still have rca outputs, but that wouldn't help you when/if you are using an external source like a DVD player, etc...


Ok cheers mate, very helpful and alleviated some fears about audio delay through the DAC and then to the headphones.

I will definitely give this a try, Will any DAC that accepts dolby digital do? Or would an expensive one produce better quality? Or is there not a lot in it? Apparently the headphones I am interested in are high quality ones, so should the audio be good?

Also with your DAC does it output only at one sound volume? Or do u have built in volume control in your headphone like the RS170s, as I have been told that will mean I can adjust the volume and get high volume even though DACs only output one volume level due to the digital optical out.

Thanks for your advice.

post #13 of 13

How much of a difference does the end source make if you listen to music from a computer? Does it make much of difference in sound quality on whether I connect the RS170 directly to the headphone jack on my computer vs to the line out of a DAC vs to the DAC/headphone amp port (with the original source still being the computer)?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Sennheiser RS 170 connecting without a headphone port?