Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Head-Fi Meet Impressions, Trade Show Reports, Factory Tours › Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014 Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014 Impressions thread  

post #1 of 128
Thread Starter 
Since no one has created a new thread for the meet that happened yesterday, I took the liberty to start one here.

Anyway, it was another great meet. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen.
Here is a gallery of photos I took at the event:

http://www.amb.org/ti/audio/chang20140216/

Enjoy!
post #2 of 128

Just posting to get some visibility.  Anyone else care to comment on Darin Fong's "Out of Your Head" software?  I ended up buying a license, Mac at the moment, though I may take Darin up on his offer to start with a PC license and convert when the Mac version is ready.  It is not a bit perfect match to the input file for sure, but it sounds really cool!  I expect I'll use it with movies when watching on my computer, and sometimes with music - it does sound pretty cool to me.  Anyone know where a guy can get a bargain on a Windows 7 or 8 install - wink-wink, nod-nod...

 

I think the software has it's place in my listening, and I'm looking forward to playing with it.  The show only price made it pretty hard to pass up.

post #3 of 128

Big thanks to all the organizers for a great meet!  

post #4 of 128

As always, I had a heap of fun at the meet and it was excellent to hang out with you all.  There seemed to be decent interest in the stuff I brought... though I was asked a few times what I was selling, followed by the surprise that I was just an enthusiast.

 

As I was babysitting things, swapping cables and answering questions, I unfortunately didn't get much a chance to go around and listen to much other stuff.  On the flip side, I now have a $1k USB cable to play with.

 

Thanks to CEE TEE and everyone else involved in organizing the meet.  Also, I vote that we have a raffle every year!

post #5 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post

As always, I had a heap of fun at the meet and it was excellent to hang out with you all.  There seemed to be decent interest in the stuff I brought... though I was asked a few times what I was selling, followed by the surprise that I was just an enthusiast.

As I was babysitting things, swapping cables and answering questions, I unfortunately didn't get much a chance to go around and listen to much other stuff.  On the flip side, I now have a $1k USB cable to play with.

Thanks to CEE TEE and everyone else involved in organizing the meet.  Also, I vote that we have a raffle every year!
You are gonna have a heck of a time being objective about that cable!
post #6 of 128

It was great to see so many new people / lurkers at the meet who got to listen to a lot of different things for the first time.

 

I don't know for certain, but my impression was that were less member exhibitors as far as variety was concerned, although we did still have some DIY stuff at the meet to spice things up.  It did mean that I listened to just about everyone's stuff this year, where in the past I only got to around half.

 

CEE TEE at the UE table was packed the whole time - I'm sure they did great business this year :)

 

I also really noticed a change in PC v. CD transports.  In past years it would have been at least 70/30, if not 50/50, but I only remember one or two CD players at this meet, and no vinyl.  I wonder if this is representative of the audio enthusiast community at large?

 

My favorites from the meet were actually the Beyer T-90's straight out of the Astell and Kern portable player (don't remember the model), followed by the DNYA's modified Beyer T-5p (never heard the stock one though...)

 

I have to say though, more than at this meet than any of the others, I wrote down more new music to buy than equipment, including a recording of the Four Seasons that Frank Cooter had and a bunch of soundtracks that I never even thought of before.


Edited by SanJoseCanJunkie - 2/17/14 at 12:40pm
post #7 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


You are gonna have a heck of a time being objective about that cable!

Yeah, I might need some help here... two of the same USB DAC, and another pair of hands to swap cables while I keep my eyes closed.  Anyone think they want to help me play the cable game?

post #8 of 128
Quote:
 Anyone else care to comment on Darin Fong's "Out of Your Head" software? 

I didn't get a chance to listen to it, it seemed like his table was always very busy...he had some nice cans there too.  But fortunately, I won the software at the raffle!!!  I'm mac only so I'll have to wait about a month for the OS release, but I'm looking forward to it.  I would be interested in any other opinions as well.

 

Great meet, many thanks to the organizers and the people had lugged stuff to the meet and allowed us to listen.

post #9 of 128

Many thanks to the organizers as well. It is good to see the meet is growing bigger!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzi View Post
 

Yeah, I might need some help here... two of the same USB DAC, and another pair of hands to swap cables while I keep my eyes closed.  Anyone think they want to help me play the cable game?

 

I can help, and bring more usb cables if you want lol.:tongue_smile:

 

:ph34r:The real thing is, I want to listen to 999usd usb cable as well!


Edited by Music Daedalus - 2/17/14 at 1:23pm
post #10 of 128

First, a HUGE thanks to @CEE TEE and @zerodeefex and all the others who helped organize this meet. It was a great meet. Great job everyone!

 

I barely had a chance to leave my table, but there was some really great gear there. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzi View Post
 

Yeah, I might need some help here... two of the same USB DAC, and another pair of hands to swap cables while I keep my eyes closed.  Anyone think they want to help me play the cable game?

 

Man, I am really curious about that cable. Congrats! Can't wait to hear your impressions. The reviews I have seen are hard to believe.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtW View Post
 

I didn't get a chance to listen to it, it seemed like his table was always very busy...he had some nice cans there too.  But fortunately, I won the software at the raffle!!!  I'm mac only so I'll have to wait about a month for the OS release, but I'm looking forward to it.  I would be interested in any other opinions as well.

 

Great meet, many thanks to the organizers and the people had lugged stuff to the meet and allowed us to listen.

Congratulations Kurt! Glad you won. I may have something for you to try sooner than later, but it would be a beta version. Too bad you didn't have time to stop by my table. But if you go to my website, you can listen to pre-rendered demo audio and video files to give you an idea of what my software does. We'll be in touch!

 

-Darin

post #11 of 128

Seemed like a great event, guys! Congrats for gathering so many people and so many high-end equipment!

 

I am looking forward for the impresions on the LFF's Enigma headphones...and photos, of course! :bigsmile_face: 

post #12 of 128
Oooh, exciting. Light Harmonic was there with their Geek Out (1 W power output), no?

Did anyone get the opportunity to try that with headphones other than the LCD-XC?
post #13 of 128

THANK YOU GUYS! 

 

You are the ones who made this meet a success. I walked around and saw people smiling, listening, and having a great time all day. Every station was packed the whole time and my jaw hit the floor when I saw the raffle turnout.

 

I'll be posting more about my impressions as I collect my thoughts. There were some really amazing rigs at the meet and a few interesting surprises for me as well. I'd love for folks to post about what they heard, liked and didn't like.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Oooh, exciting. Light Harmonic was there with their Geek Out (1 W power output), no?

Did anyone get the opportunity to try that with headphones other than the LCD-XC?
 
As a preview, yes, I tried the high powered Super Duper Geek Out variant with my HD800s. Absolutely stomps on the Herus, MicroStreamer, Audioengine D1, Audioengine D3, DragonFly, Explorer, and DACPort when paired with the HD800. I own all of them and will be selling the lot once I get the Geek Out and post my review.

Edited by zerodeefex - 2/17/14 at 2:56pm
post #14 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodeefex View Post
 

As a preview, yes, I tried the high powered Super Duper Geek Out variant with my HD800s. Absolutely stomps on the Herus, MicroStreamer, Audioengine D1, Audioengine D3, DragonFly, Explorer, and DACPort when paired with the HD800. I own all of them and will be selling the lot once I get the Geek Out and post my review.

 

Mighty fine praise for the little DAC. Makes me super excited that we're coming up on the end of the month when they ship.

post #15 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodeefex View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Oooh, exciting. Light Harmonic was there with their Geek Out (1 W power output), no?
Did anyone get the opportunity to try that with headphones other than the LCD-XC?
As a preview, yes, I tried the high powered Super Duper Geek Out variant with my HD800s. Absolutely stomps on the Herus, MicroStreamer, Audioengine D1, Audioengine D3, DragonFly, Explorer, and DACPort when paired with the HD800. I own all of them and will be selling the lot once I get the Geek Out and post my review.
Sweet. Thanks for the impressions! Did you try out the 3D Awesomeifier feature? I'm guessing no since you already have a super spacious-sounding HD800, but it's worth a shot asking. XD
I'm wondering how it sounds. Is it a crossfeed feature? Is it some sort of a DSP effect like added reverberation?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Head-Fi Meet Impressions, Trade Show Reports, Factory Tours › Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014 Impressions thread