or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › new headphones/headset recommendation?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

new headphones/headset recommendation?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

alright guys, this is my first real post on these forums and im looking for a little help

up to now i have been getting by with cheap crappy headsets from the likes of turtle beach, tritton and so on, i have gone through many different headsets i have never been happy with the sound or build quality

 

im looking to get a new set of headphones/headset i am a PC gamer so the mic on a headset is convenient but getting a seperate microphone like a clip on or something like is no big deal, from what i understand headphones and a seperate mic are the best way to go for the best audio but if someone can recommend a headset that compares to dedicated headphones in the same price range then obviously im open to that

 

so here a little list of requirments:

must be closed back

straight cable

i prefer a sound that leans more toward the low end, but obviously not overpowering horribly boomy bass like beats

over ear, i have tried out a few sets of on ear cans and found them all to be horribly uncomfortable

 

a few other things to note, i will be running the headphones through an asus xonar essence STX sound card it has a built in amp capable of driving up to 600 ohm headphones (not that even know what really means lol)

i dont care if they are portable or not i wont be using them on an ipod they will be hooked up to my PC sound card all the time

even though im gaming music is the main priority even when gaming i usualy have itunes open in the background with my tunes playing, but the soundstage is important the wider it is the easier it becomes for to pick out position when playing games like BF4 and CoD

 

budget: £150-200

i am willing to pay more than that if its worth it, the budget is just a guideline so people dont crazy i am willing to pay more if its worth it and if theres anything that fits my requirments for less money then i will also consider that

 

if theres anything i miss or anything else you want to know please dont hesitate to ask :)

thanks guys


Edited by t103Ninja - 2/16/14 at 10:55am
post #2 of 16

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-27-2014-monster-dna-pro-added-edits

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

thanks but thats not really relevant to what im looking for, as stated music is the number 1 priority gaming is very much second

im not interested in virtual surround its just a gimmick

post #4 of 16

Beyerdynamic DT770 - 80 Ohms

post #5 of 16

I was mega unimpressed with the DNA Pro. The on-ear sound SO much better, even just off of a demo station.

post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveTrains View Post
 

Beyerdynamic DT770 - 80 Ohms

thanks for the suggestion, read alot of user reviews on the DT770 here on head-fi and im not sure its what im lookinh for

most people are saying it doesnt have great bass and like i said before i like bass not overpowering boomy bass but the kind of bass that adds a warm fullness to the sound it seems like the DT770 is a more neutral sound and i personaly find that boring to listen to

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by t103Ninja View Post
 

thanks for the suggestion, read alot of user reviews on the DT770 here on head-fi and im not sure its what im lookinh for

most people are saying it doesnt have great bass and like i said before i like bass not overpowering boomy bass but the kind of bass that adds a warm fullness to the sound it seems like the DT770 is a more neutral sound and i personaly find that boring to listen to

The bass on the DT770 is warm and full, I believe. It's not a "basshead" headphone, but up against the more neutral pairs I've tried it's definitely more prominent. Not the kinda phone you'd listen to heavy trap rap with, but for all else? I don't think it's missing anything. 

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

The bass on the DT770 is warm and full, I believe. It's not a "basshead" headphone, but up against the more neutral pairs I've tried it's definitely more prominent. Not the kinda phone you'd listen to heavy trap rap with, but for all else? I don't think it's missing anything. 

interesting, i might buy those then if i dont like them i guess i could always send that back... twelve trains reccomended the 80ohm version portability isnt an issue they will be hooked into my sound card at all time wich is capable of driving up to 600ohms is there any advantage to getting higher a higher ohm version?

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by t103Ninja View Post
 

interesting, i might buy those then if i dont like them i guess i could always send that back... twelve trains reccomended the 80ohm version portability isnt an issue they will be hooked into my sound card at all time wich is capable of driving up to 600ohms is there any advantage to getting higher a higher ohm version?

 

Not really. I've noticed MOST people get the 80 ohm because it's not too expensive and runs okay without an amp (it's what I bought). If you can drive them fully I have no doubts you'll love the DT770s. They're fantastic headphones. Plus comfortable as hell. 

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Not really. I've noticed MOST people get the 80 ohm because it's not too expensive and runs okay without an amp (it's what I bought). If you can drive them fully I have no doubts you'll love the DT770s. They're fantastic headphones. Plus comfortable as hell. 

i can easily drive them, a buddy of mine is a full on audio freak and he owns a pair of sennheiser HD800's he has all the external DACS and amps i tested them with my soundcard and it drove them up to ear bleeding volume no problem

 

i will definitely add the DT770 to my list of maybe's, do you have any other suggestions? i like to have options :p

i have been considering the v-moda crossfade m-100 but im not sure if they will be to bass heavy or not, people seem to like to compare them to beats i was also considering the AKG k550 because people have told me it has a sound stage almost equal to an open headphone wich is usefull when it comes to gaming thats about the extent of my research so far


Edited by t103Ninja - 2/17/14 at 9:21am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by t103Ninja View Post
 

i can easily drive them, a buddy of mine is a full on audio freak and he owns a pair of sennheiser HD800's he has all the external DACS and amps i tested them with my soundcard and it drove them up to ear bleeding volume no problem

 

i will definitely add the DT770 to my list of maybe's, do you have any other suggestions? i like to have options :p

i have been considering the v-moda crossfade m-100 but im not sure if they will be to bass heavy or not, people seem to like to compare them to beats

Hey, that's the exact comparison I'm in a position to make! LOL

 

I have a pair of M100s and the Beats Mixrs (the best in the Beats lineup and a legitimately good product IMO), and enjoy both. Are they comparable? Yes and no. The M100s are a basshead headphone. They just are. However, they're not AS bass-tilted. On the M100s, the dual diaphragm design gives them a sort of "subwoofer" quality that doesn't result in the speakers losing mids and highs. On the Mixrs, the bass is considerably up front, and part of the way they get around the inherent loss of clarity is scooping the mids and attenuating the highs. They have a pronounced U scoop, which to my ears was just fine.

 

The M100s don't have the same loss of clarity and detail thanks to the driver design, but make no mistake, they're a bass headphone. I love them to pieces because I listen to metal, EDM, and hip hop, but if you don't want to feel your ears vibrating from the bass, these won't be your headphone. The DT770's, meanwhile, have plenty of rumble without being too much for most people, I'd say.

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

Hey, that's the exact comparison I'm in a position to make! LOL

 

I have a pair of M100s and the Beats Mixrs (the best in the Beats lineup and a legitimately good product IMO), and enjoy both. Are they comparable? Yes and no. The M100s are a basshead headphone. They just are. However, they're not AS bass-tilted. On the M100s, the dual diaphragm design gives them a sort of "subwoofer" quality that doesn't result in the speakers losing mids and highs. On the Mixrs, the bass is considerably up front, and part of the way they get around the inherent loss of clarity is scooping the mids and attenuating the highs. They have a pronounced U scoop, which to my ears was just fine.

 

The M100s don't have the same loss of clarity and detail thanks to the driver design, but make no mistake, they're a bass headphone. I love them to pieces because I listen to metal, EDM, and hip hop, but if you don't want to feel your ears vibrating from the bass, these won't be your headphone. The DT770's, meanwhile, have plenty of rumble without being too much for most people, I'd say.

thanks for the info, i like bass even theres alot of it aslong as its not destructive from what you say the m100s sound very much like what i want

i listen to alot of metal and industrial synth kind of stuff like NIN, gary numan and combichrist so i do very much enjoy a meaty sound looks like the m100s are staying on my list of maybe's lol

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by t103Ninja View Post
 

interesting, i might buy those then if i dont like them i guess i could always send that back... twelve trains reccomended the 80ohm version portability isnt an issue they will be hooked into my sound card at all time wich is capable of driving up to 600ohms is there any advantage to getting higher a higher ohm version?

I own both the 80 ohm and the 250 ohm version. They both benefit from an amplifier, and I think your sound card should have no problem driving either impedance.

 

The 80 ohm version is perhaps slightly bassier, but the main reason I prefer it is because the 80 ohm version has a straight cable.

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveTrains View Post
 

I own both the 80 ohm and the 250 ohm version. They both benefit from an amplifier, and I think your sound card should have no problem driving either impedance.

 

The 80 ohm version is perhaps slightly bassier, but the main reason I prefer it is because the 80 ohm version has a straight cable.

ah well then if i go for the DT770 it will be the 80ohm version, those coiled cables are very annoying

post #15 of 16

If you want an advantage in games you want open-back headphones

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › new headphones/headset recommendation?