or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Question about the V-Moda XL earpads: How much deeper are they?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about the V-Moda XL earpads: How much deeper are they?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hey Head-Fi,

 

I've been watching the Vmoda M100's for some time now, and I've been wanting to get them, however, when i tried a pair on, i noticed that the body of the headphones would touch my ears.. I guess my ears stick out very far or something. As such, it would become uncomfortable to wear them for more than a few minutes. 

 

So, when I heard that they're releasing XL earpads, i was quite excited. However, I have no idea how deep the normal earpads are, so i cant tell how much thicker the XL ones are.

 

I don't need the earpads to be wider, or taller, just deeper, to separate the headphones from my head. The XL pads have a listed depth of 24mm, which doesn't seem very thick but..

 

Does anyone know how deep the normal earpads are? Can someone with a pair of M100's please take a measurement for me? I'd really appreciate it.

 

Also, any other recommendations or comments on how i can fix the ears-dont-fit problem would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks again!

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTB View Post
 

Hey Head-Fi,

 

I've been watching the Vmoda M100's for some time now, and I've been wanting to get them, however, when i tried a pair on, i noticed that the body of the headphones would touch my ears.. I guess my ears stick out very far or something. As such, it would become uncomfortable to wear them for more than a few minutes. 

 

So, when I heard that they're releasing XL earpads, i was quite excited. However, I have no idea how deep the normal earpads are, so i cant tell how much thicker the XL ones are.

 

I don't need the earpads to be wider, or taller, just deeper, to separate the headphones from my head. The XL pads have a listed depth of 24mm, which doesn't seem very thick but..

 

Does anyone know how deep the normal earpads are? Can someone with a pair of M100's please take a measurement for me? I'd really appreciate it.

 

Also, any other recommendations or comments on how i can fix the ears-dont-fit problem would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks again!

 

They were a few millimeters thicker I think...  So about a 20% increase in depth.  They are much more comfortable than the stock though.  Sometimes, you just need to add a few millimeters.  They also don't seem to compress as much, which might actually be more important than depth. 

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

They were a few millimeters thicker I think...  So about a 20% increase in depth.  They are much more comfortable than the stock though.  Sometimes, you just need to add a few millimeters.  They also don't seem to compress as much, which might actually be more important than depth. 

Do they alter the sound at all? That concerns me a tad.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

Do they alter the sound at all? That concerns me a tad.

 

Yes.  It gives it a distinct, but subtle, bass boost unfortunately. 

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

Yes.  It gives it a distinct, but subtle, bass boost unfortunately. 

 

Unfortunately to YOU, maybe. :D

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Unfortunately to YOU, maybe. :D

 

It's been stated numerous times already by various members of the forum.  Some that originally didn't hear a difference went ahead and AB-ed them and heard the difference. 

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

It's been stated numerous times already by various members of the forum.  Some that originally didn't hear a difference went ahead and AB-ed them and heard the difference. 

I think you misunderstood. I mean that to me a bass boost isn't a bad thing. :cool:

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

I think you misunderstood. I mean that to me a bass boost isn't a bad thing. :cool:

 

I did misunderstand, my bad LOL :p  I personally feel that the M-100 doesn't need anymore bass, but others can certainly disagree ;) 

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

I did misunderstand, my bad LOL :p  I personally feel that the M-100 doesn't need anymore bass, but others can certainly disagree ;) 

Haha, I'm definitely curious to give 'em a shot. I just don't need the ear pads to look any bigger. One thing is I love the sleek appearance. I'd be worried that the XL pads will turn them all "studio monitor" looking.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

Haha, I'm definitely curious to give 'em a shot. I just don't need the ear pads to look any bigger. One thing is I love the sleek appearance. I'd be worried that the XL pads will turn them all "studio monitor" looking.

 

The look isn't changed that much.  The design that V-Moda has on the housing keeps it from looking "studio monitor" XD 

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

a 20% increase you say?

 

I sent an email to V moda and i got a response saying that they're twice the depth.

 

Any ideas?

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTB View Post
 

a 20% increase you say?

 

I sent an email to V moda and i got a response saying that they're twice the depth.

 

Any ideas?

 

That's probably because they don't compress as much...

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTB View Post
 

a 20% increase you say?

 

I sent an email to V moda and i got a response saying that they're twice the depth.

 

Any ideas?

 

Well on my head they feel almost no different. Uncompressed they're certainly twice as big. In practice, because they squish, they're not much deeper, Just roomier.

 

EDIT: I actually took the XL pads off. They squished SO easily that it was like having no pad. My ears were pressed into the speaker surface. I might try again, but right now I'm back on the stock.

 

I also tore one of the XL pads a little pulling it off. Ugh.


Edited by SomeGuyDude - 2/21/14 at 6:57pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Question about the V-Moda XL earpads: How much deeper are they?