or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › $500 bedroom setup suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$500 bedroom setup suggestions - Page 3

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru12 View Post
 

 

Yea, I figured that - it made a huge difference to dialogue in my movies - they came out a lot clearer and louder.

 

Well I was planning on building a  HTPC that would stream both my FLAC music alongside my BluRay and DVD rips. If you're saying I can get by with a 3 speaker system and no surrounds then I'd be OK with going this route. If the surrounds are essential for a good movie experience then it's probably better that I get a network music streamer and stick to a 2.1 system.

 

Keep in mind that I will eventually be upgrading my living room home theater for a more proper movie watching experience (projectors, good floor standers, etc.) so I don't need the up most sound quality for my movies for a small bedroom.


The rear surround channels are not all that important and can easily be left out in the bedroom system you are assembling. Go with 2.1 channels to start and then add a center channel speaker if you are having trouble hearing the dialog when watching TV and movies.

post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru12 View Post

Yea, I figured that - it made a huge difference to dialogue in my movies - they came out a lot clearer and louder.

Well I was planning on building a  HTPC that would stream both my FLAC music alongside my BluRay and DVD rips. If you're saying I can get by with a 3 speaker system and no surrounds then I'd be OK with going this route. If the surrounds are essential for a good movie experience then it's probably better that I get a network music streamer and stick to a 2.1 system.

Realistically, though it's not an HT setup unless you have at least 5.1. The surrounds do create the ambient effect of widening the soundstage around you. Whether or not that's important is a personal preference. I know of some people that run 4.1 (phantom center) that are quite happy with it, and in fact, 4.1 is often preferable to running 5.1 if the center is not a good timbre match for the front left/right . Do you know someone with a good HT setup? See if you can listen to it in 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, and 5.1. See what's important to you. You'll want do it with a receiver and change the internal configuration so that the speakers are turned off.
post #33 of 51
Just found out that accessories4less has SHERBOURN PA 2-50 amps in stock for $179. From what I understand, the Sherbourn has the same amp section as the Emotiva mini-x, only it has multiple inputs and a remote to control the volume; Sherbourn and Emotiva have the same parent company. That's a darn good deal if you only want to do 2 channel. Then you could put more money towards speakers/sub.
post #34 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Realistically, though it's not an HT setup unless you have at least 5.1. The surrounds do create the ambient effect of widening the soundstage around you. Whether or not that's important is a personal preference. I know of some people that run 4.1 (phantom center) that are quite happy with it, and in fact, 4.1 is often preferable to running 5.1 if the center is not a good timbre match for the front left/right . Do you know someone with a good HT setup? See if you can listen to it in 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, and 5.1. See what's important to you. You'll want do it with a receiver and change the internal configuration so that the speakers are turned off.

 

I personally built my own budget HT setup for around 1k a few years back around some Sony Floorstanders and Polk surrounds and Polk sub and the surround effect really became noticeable and important to me when I gamed but not necessarily when I watched movies. I found the center indispensable to that affect. So, I guess from my own experience I could probably get away with a 3 or 4.1 phantom channel.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Just found out that accessories4less has SHERBOURN PA 2-50 amps in stock for $179. From what I understand, the Sherbourn has the same amp section as the Emotiva mini-x, only it has multiple inputs and a remote to control the volume; Sherbourn and Emotiva have the same parent company. That's a darn good deal if you only want to do 2 channel. Then you could put more money towards speakers/sub.

 

If I get that amp and push my speaker budget to $800 what would you recommend then for bookshelves? 

post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru12 View Post

I personally built my own budget HT setup for around 1k a few years back around some Sony Floorstanders and Polk surrounds and Polk sub and the surround effect really became noticeable and important to me when I gamed but not necessarily when I watched movies. I found the center indispensable to that affect. So, I guess from my own experience I could probably get away with a 3 or 4.1 phantom channel.

Then don't ask us what we think. You have plenty of experience to decide that yourself smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru12 View Post

If I get that amp and push my speaker budget to $800 what would you recommend then for bookshelves? 

Just speakers, or did you say you already have a sub (I've forgotten--brain is fried tonight).

For speakers, Kef Q300, Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE MINI-TOWER (not really bookshelves, but their bookshelves up from here are the Sierra 1s, more like $900), Focal Chorus 806V. Paradigm, Monitor Audio, and PSB also make bookshelves you might consider.
post #36 of 51
Thread Starter 

I don't have a sub yet but I'll be adding one in the future. I can't have it take too up too much space but a 12" should do the job. Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Focal Chorus because of the great reviews on them. Do they also come with a center channel? If not, I'll probably go for the Ascends or Keff. 

post #37 of 51
I'm sure you can buy the matching center channel for the Focal Chorus, but you might not find that kind of deal off retail.
post #38 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I'm sure you can buy the matching center channel for the Focal Chorus, but you might not find that kind of deal off retail.

 

$400 is kind of steep. I would probably have to hold off on that seeing as the Ascend center is a lot cheaper. 

post #39 of 51
You could also just go ahead and get the front soundstage now by getting the CBM-170 SEs, which are the single driver versions, for the front left/right and then the CMT 340SE for the center. That would keep you in budget. Later on you could always move the CBM-170 SEs to surround duty (assuming you have a place for them; they are pretty big) if you wanted to *upgrade* your front stage.
post #40 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You could also just go ahead and get the front soundstage now by getting the CBM-170 SEs, which are the single driver versions, for the front left/right and then the CMT 340SE for the center. That would keep you in budget. Later on you could always move the CBM-170 SEs to surround duty (assuming you have a place for them; they are pretty big) if you wanted to *upgrade* your front stage.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. By the time I do a full proper 5.1 system it will be time to sell off and upgrade everything again.
post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru12 View Post

That's probably what I'll end up doing. By the time I do a full proper 5.1 system it will be time to sell off and upgrade everything again.

You might be surprised. This will be the start of a "proper" HT setup, and certainly enough for a bedroom (unless yours is unusually large). Just make certain you get a good sub. A good sub is the soul of the HT experience smily_headphones1.gif
post #42 of 51
For about $500 I built a 6.1 surround setup (all used) I'm my bedroom. I have gone through a lot of receivers over the last decade and nothing beats a used Denon like the 4301/2/3 or 3801/2/3 series paired with older Energy e:XL speakers and their 8" sub. Very impressive including the headphone output (dead silent). Forget any of the cheaper Yamaha receivers, thin sounding and noisy.
Edited by tim3320070 - 2/28/14 at 7:42pm
post #43 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

For about $500 I built a 6.1 surround setup (all used) I'm my bedroom. I have gone through a lot of receivers over the last decade and nothing beats a used Denon like the 4301/2/3 or 3801/2/3 series paired with older Energy e:XL speakers and their 8" sub. Very impressive including the headphone output (dead silent). Forget any of the cheaper Yamaha receivers, thin sounding and noisy.

 

I've heard Energy makes some great speakers - that's pretty cheap for a nice 6.1 setup. I've decided to go with a 5 channel sound bar and will be looking to pair it with a sub (probably an Outlaw). I'll make a new thread for computer audio suggestions.

post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru12 View Post
 

 

I've heard Energy makes some great speakers - that's pretty cheap for a nice 6.1 setup. I've decided to go with a 5 channel sound bar and will be looking to pair it with a sub (probably an Outlaw). I'll make a new thread for computer audio suggestions.

Sad face....if you are doing the sound bar, at least do a decent one like the Yamaha version with the multiple amps (still won't beat my system setup though). The more I thought this over, I only have about $300 in my system ($140 Denon 4302, $40 e:XL-16 mains, $60 Take 2 center and surrounds, $80 e:XL 8 sub).

post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru12 View Post
 

 

I've heard Energy makes some great speakers - that's pretty cheap for a nice 6.1 setup. I've decided to go with a 5 channel sound bar and will be looking to pair it with a sub (probably an Outlaw). I'll make a new thread for computer audio suggestions.


I own 3 pairs of bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer from Energy and all are very good. I have two pairs of the 3 way Energy Veritas 2.2s, both on Energy stands, and one pair of the 2 way Energy Veritas 2.1s. The subwoofer is an Energy MicroStar MS-12.1. For some reason Energy speakers don't seem to get the respect that they deserve and so they can often be found on the used market for really good prices, considering how good many Energy speakers are.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › $500 bedroom setup suggestions