Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Apex Teton Review and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Apex Teton Review and Impressions Thread - Page 16

post #226 of 235

Hello Teton fellows,

 

Reading about high impedance convenience regarding the Teton, what about driving the Focal Utopia ?? (acclaimed for its trebles but less impact of the lows).

post #227 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cladane View Post
 

Hello Teton fellows,

 

Reading about high impedance convenience regarding the Teton, what about driving the Focal Utopia ?? (acclaimed for its trebles but less impact of the lows).

 

I could def. see hd800 type amps working really well with Utopia. The ohm's go up when you get to listening level like the hd800. It is not so much the ohm output but the voicing of the amps. The Teton is def. an hd800 type amp. Makes the hd800 sound and feel like a $3k+ headphone.

post #228 of 235

Just to contribute some to this thread, those who haven't tried it- the 6336 sounds better as an output tube for the Apex Teton than the 6528 to my ears. They both draw a lot of heat, but interestingly the 6336 has much higher output impedance.

 

Also, has anyone used 2x or 3x 6bl7/6bx7 with an adaptor, as an output tube? It sounds great on my Glenn OTL.


Edited by jelt2359 - 11/30/16 at 4:51am
post #229 of 235

Got confirmation from Pete that it was okay to do 3x 6BL7 as a replacement for the 6AS7G tube, and in it went.

 

Sounds really good with the HD800. I think this is here to stay for a while.

post #230 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelt2359 View Post
 

Got confirmation from Pete that it was okay to do 3x 6BL7 as a replacement for the 6AS7G tube, and in it went.

 

Sounds really good with the HD800. I think this is here to stay for a while.

Been thinking of trying this for a while. Which 6BL7s are you using and which 6AS7Gs do you normally use?

post #231 of 235

My current favourite combination is the U52 rectifier, 3xSylvania 6BL7 (output) and 1578 tube (input). The 6BL7 and the 1578 really add a lot to the sound. The 1578 is clear and airy, a great input tube, albeit a bit hard to get hold off. Make sure you get the ones with five holes- many fakes on fleaBay.

post #232 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin sawdust View Post
 

Been thinking of trying this for a while. Which 6BL7s are you using and which 6AS7Gs do you normally use?

GEC 6AS7G.

post #233 of 235

Yes I agree, the 1578 is a fine tube with just the right amount of air. I alternate between this and a Marconi B65. The 6BL7 are a bit harder to get hold of in the UK but I will keep looking.

post #234 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin sawdust View Post
 

Yes I agree, the 1578 is a fine tube with just the right amount of air. I alternate between this and a Marconi B65. The 6BL7 are a bit harder to get hold of in the UK but I will keep looking.

I also alternate between the two, as it so happens! The B65 is a different take- but both are nice.

post #235 of 235

Brought home my dad's Grado SR60 this evening for what I thought would be a quick dismissive listen, still listening to them now as I type 3 hours later.

If I remember correctly chengka7 posted earlier in the thread about how impressed he was with this pairing. Never been a fan of the Grado phones but this is very satisfying. So far I have been listening to jazz, vocal and acoustic music but will try some ambient electronic next. 

Using a Sylvania 7326 output but will have to try a 6528 which might be a slightly better match for low z cans.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The Apex Teton Review and Impressions Thread