Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70 - Page 36

post #526 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

It's very close. I've been A/Bing them today, the IM02 is a little thicker and warmer and the ER-4's mids are a hair flatter. But they are very, very close IMO.

Can you comment on transparency? Part of what makes the er-4s so special to me is the transparency and clarity of the midrange. How does the im-02 stack up here?
post #527 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by presata View Post
 

how about ortofon q5 vs IM02 ?

The eq5 are pretty transparent, but the im02 are a notch above that.

 

The bass is textured well on the eq5, but the im02 beats it once again, since the vocals aren't liquidish smooth, it has more clarity and are more transparent.

 

The highs are an improvement on the im02s because to me, the eq5 highs were lacking in extension, and were not clear enough to help out the microdetails.

post #528 of 1370

thanks

post #529 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

The eq5 are pretty transparent, but the im02 are a notch above that.

 

The bass is textured well on the eq5, but the im02 beats it once again, since the vocals aren't liquidish smooth, it has more clarity and are more transparent.

 

The highs are an improvement on the im02s because to me, the eq5 highs were lacking in extension, and were not clear enough to help out the microdetails.


 I agree with you. Upper mids were too harsh on e-q5. That's why I have sold it. It doesn't exist on IM02 and vocals are also more natural on IM02.


Edited by ozkan - 4/19/14 at 1:03pm
post #530 of 1370

Say... If I'm someone who doesn't appreciate vocals as much as widdly-widdly (shred) and chugga-chugga guitar stuff, should I still consider the IM02s or IM03s? 

 

Almost all the reviews here praise these IEMs for their vocals, what about guitars then?

post #531 of 1370

Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich2000 View Post

It's very close. I've been A/Bing them today, the IM02 is a little thicker and warmer and the ER-4's mids are a hair flatter. But they are very, very close IMO.

Can you comment on transparency? Part of what makes the er-4s so special to me is the transparency and clarity of the midrange. How does the im-02 stack up here?

The ER-4S might be a hair flatter and less coloured through the mids, but only a hair. Remember I'm using a shallow insertion of the etys if that makes a difference.
post #532 of 1370
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the IM70 (more like forced since my SE215s were attacked by a black hole frown.gif )
But I don't know. Probably should have went all in on the IM02. Better yet I'll snag them later maybe? [Been dying to get my ears around some BAs and get cold feet at the last second, how silly of me tongue.gif ]
post #533 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3Seeker View Post

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the IM70 (more like forced since my SE215s were attacked by a black hole frown.gif )
But I don't know. Probably should have went all in on the IM02. Better yet I'll snag them later maybe? [Been dying to get my ears around some BAs and get cold feet at the last second, how silly of me tongue.gif ]

 

If you got your IM70 because of the bass, IM02 will not satisfy you.  I had IM02 for a short while, those are great analytical/detailed IEMs, but they are neutral with hardly any bass quantity.  Better go with IM03 - you get a decent bass and nice upfront mids with a great treble extension.

post #534 of 1370
or just be happy with IM70
post #535 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post

If you got your IM70 because of the bass, IM02 will not satisfy you.  I had IM02 for a short while, those are great analytical/detailed IEMs, but they are neutral with hardly any bass quantity.  Better go with IM03 - you get a decent bass and nice upfront mids with a great treble extension.
No, bass wasn't a selling point. Trying to work myself away from the stuff tongue.gif The energy the Dynamic drivers exude will work better for my music. And when I read they apperantly wont actually be sold in the States I was determined. I wanted them since the other thread was started on them, but still just havent gonten myself any BAs. Oh well.
post #536 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

If you got your IM70 because of the bass, IM02 will not satisfy you.  I had IM02 for a short while, those are great analytical/detailed IEMs, but they are neutral with hardly any bass quantity.  Better go with IM03 - you get a decent bass and nice upfront mids with a great treble extension.

So, would you say 03 provides more details than 02 with more bass?

post #537 of 1370

any review how IM50 would be sound paired / direct to ak100mk2?

post #538 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3Seeker View Post

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the IM70 (more like forced since my SE215s were attacked by a black hole frown.gif )
 

They probably ended up in the same place as all the missing left socks:o 

post #539 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

So, would you say 03 provides more details than 02 with more bass?

 

No, IM02 is an analytical beast on a level of Ety's.  It was too revealing and bright for my taste.  I can only take it as far as RE400 :)  What's great about IM03 is that you get plenty of bass, and don't have to worry about v-shaped "fun" sound typical with other IEMs.  Though I would like to believe IM03 is balanced, sometime after listening to W40, it feels like having a slightly upfront mids.

post #540 of 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

No, IM02 is an analytical beast on a level of Ety's.  It was too revealing and bright for my taste.  I can only take it as far as RE400 :)  What's great about IM03 is that you get plenty of bass, and don't have to worry about v-shaped "fun" sound typical with other IEMs.  Though I would like to believe IM03 is balanced, sometime after listening to W40, it feels like having a slightly upfront mids.

 

I noticed in your signature that you have a UE900 - how does the IM03 compare to it? I tried the UE900 the other day and on top of not liking the fit (I find the shape pretty odd, and the metal edge kept brushing my ear), I find it quite weak on bass. Maybe it's because I've always used dynamic driver earphones but I'm not ready to completely let go of bass yet... do you think IM03 has a stronger bass presence than the UE900?


Edited by yoongie - 4/21/14 at 1:38am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70