or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70 - Page 25

post #361 of 2974

I have Westone W4 and I find its treble is adequate although it is tiny weeny sparkly and the mids is not even recessed at all. I have the FXT90 and UM3x and those mids are forward and aggressive; I can't imagine mids like W40 considered recessive since instruments are clearly presented. From my collection, XBA-30 defines an excellent example of recessed mids; gutars, drums,and vocal are drowned completely by the nasty piercing cymbal crashes that make overall sound unbalanced despite of non-plentiful bass( what Sony's engineers were thinking??)

post #362 of 2974

As an update for those who are looking to get IM50 or IM70, since Audio Technica US will not be selling those in US, I just got a reply from www.AccessoryJack.com (in my opinion, and as most of you are already familiar - one of the most reliable sources for import headphones) they are waiting to get IM50/IM70 in stock from AT soon.

 

I'm very intrigued to see how IM50 compares to IM02 and IM03, so hopefully if/when I get IM50 - I will write my detailed review (similar to what I've written in http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2676059 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2687655 for IM02 and IM03), and will do a comparison for IM02/IM03 vs IM50. Maybe I will get HDC5 replacement cable for comparison as well.

post #363 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

As an update for those who are looking to get IM50 or IM70, since Audio Technica US will not be selling those in US, I just got a reply from www.AccessoryJack.com (in my opinion, and as most of you are already familiar - one of the most reliable sources for import headphones) they are waiting to get IM50/IM70 in stock from AT soon.

 

I'm very intrigued to see how IM50 compares to IM02 and IM03, so hopefully if/when I get IM50 - I will write my detailed review (similar to what I've written in http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2676059 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2687655 for IM02 and IM03), and will do a comparison for IM02/IM03 vs IM50. Maybe I will get HDC5 replacement cable for comparison as well

 

twister6 I'm about to pull the trigger on the IM02's but was wondering how they compared with the UE900's that you have? 


Edited by Love Music - 3/21/14 at 5:04am
post #364 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trev View Post
 

I was torn between getting the 07be or the im50/70 too. Went with the be, but can't help but wonder what if.....

I bought e im70 and after A/B testing w athm50, heir 5.0 and akg701, I sold the the heir and kept the im70. and it is getting better. the highs especially has become very smooth and sweet to listen to. am actually considering the new cable by AT. how good can they get...

post #365 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandasaputra View Post
 

I have Westone W4 and I find its treble is adequate although it is tiny weeny sparkly and the mids is not even recessed at all. I have the FXT90 and UM3x and those mids are forward and aggressive; I can't imagine mids like W40 considered recessive since instruments are clearly presented. From my collection, XBA-30 defines an excellent example of recessed mids; gutars, drums,and vocal are drowned completely by the nasty piercing cymbal crashes that make overall sound unbalanced despite of non-plentiful bass( what Sony's engineers were thinking??)

 

Based on the discussions in W-series threads where people reported about difference between W4R and W40, they are very similar where W40 has more details and bass improvement.  Sorry, I didn't mean to say W40 mids are recessed like in v-shaped sound signature (what you refer to in XBA-30 description); they are rather not as upfront and a little bit recessed.  But when you compare it to IM03, they do feel like recessed lol!!!

 

It's amazing how highly you can think of IEMs until you compare them to another one and see their flaws (or rather a difference in sound signature).

post #366 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Music View Post
 

twister6 I'm about to pull the trigger on the IM02's but was wondering how they compared with the UE900's that you have? 

 

There are some similarities since IM02 analytical nature is close to UE900 midcentric signature.  UE900 will have a better bass quantity, but I felt IM02 had more details and sounded more natural to me, especially in vocals.  At half a price, IM02 is a much better deal.

post #367 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

There are some similarities since IM02 analytical nature is close to UE900 midcentric signature.  UE900 will have a better bass quantity, but I felt IM02 had more details and sounded more natural to me, especially in vocals.  At half a price, IM02 is a much better deal.

Thanks. What about soundstage and the treble on both? Is the IM02's treble harsh in any way?

post #368 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

Actually, the decision is easier than you think because these headphones have a noticeably different sound signature.  IM02 - is bright analytical with lesser bass quantity, IM03 - is warm balanced with more bass.  Both are very detailed across entire frequency range, and have an amazing focus on vocals.  If you would be forced to sell all of your headphones and buy only one to cover every single need, IM03 would be my choice.  But if you have other headphones in your collection and craving for this one analytical gem that not going to hurt your ears over extended period of listening - IM02 is the way to go.  Just my humble opinion.

After reviewing both of these headphones, do you think the IM02/IM03 outperformed UE900 and W40? Because I'm considering getting the IM02 since it's cheaper or save up for the IM03. 


Edited by AkazGoliath - 3/21/14 at 8:01am
post #369 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Music View Post
 

Thanks. What about soundstage and the treble on both? Is the IM02's treble harsh in any way?

 

Hands down, IM02 will have a better soundstage.  Regarding treble, "harsh" is a relative term because what might sounds harsh to you, might not be to me.  Do you know what I mean?  UE900 is a little more forgiving no matter what source you use, while IM02 might be a bit more picky where it sounds harsher driven directly from a smartphone or Clip+ vs driving it from X5 or E18 or another amp.  To my un-trained ears :) IM02 sounds harsher than UE900 but in general they are tolerable.  Sometimes a detailed bright sound (as in analytical) might sound harsh and you might not be able to handle it over extended listening period.  For my taste, I prefer IM03 over IM02 since I listen mostly to EDM and I need my mid-/sub-bass and a bit less of revealing upper mids and treble (electronic music can get harsh when you have too much brighteness).  But, as I mentioned before, IM-series delivery of vocals is simply fantastic and more natural.  UE900 sounds a bit more artificial when it comes to vocals and in comparison to IM02/03.

post #370 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkazGoliath View Post
 

After reviewing both of these headphones, do you think the IM02/IM03 outperformed UE900 and W40? Because I'm considering getting the IM02 since it's cheaper or save up for the IM03. 

 

I always placed W40 ahead of UE900.  If I have to choose between IM03 and W40, I would go with IM03 because it's vocal delivery is breathtaking.  IM02 has an amazing value, but if you like more bass in your sound - go with IM03, unless you can use IM02 with EQ.

post #371 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

We all have a different perception of a sound ;)  I do agree that IM02 has a subbass level, but it's of a lesser quantity especially with midrange dominance in these IEMs.  Also, as earfonia pointed out, driving it with a different source will fluctuate that level as well.  Detailed quality is there, but quantity will vary.  With IM03 it's right there in your face and doesn't vary as much driven from my Note 2 or X5 or my laptop.  With IM03 it feels that bass quantity is higher (especially sub bass) and due to a balanced sound signature it comes off louder since you don't have this midrange dominance like in IM02.

 

X5 has a very neutral signature so it will not boost the bass, just improves the quality.  Of course you can use EQ, but I'm personally hate boosting frequencies because it adds artifacts.  On the other hand, I might try it with E18 where there is a bass boost switch.

 

Another note to add.  Though I don't consider myself a hardcore audiophile, since I only dipped my feet in high quality headphone world less than a year ago, I have noticed that typically dynamic drivers produce a much warmer sounds in comparison to BA drivers.  In IM03, the subbass and midbass feels almost like a dynamic driver, warm and rounded.  For example, I love my W40 but bass in there a bit colder and mid-bass has a stronger punch (faster attack).  With IM03 it's more laid back, rounded, and warmer.

I totally agree! I just wanted to make sure that you had no problems with the subbass levels of the im-02s is all!

 

I hear it well and defined, but it isn't as powerful as I'd like it to be, which is why I might get the im-03s sometime in the future..

 

And what you posted is spot on with how I hear them, if the mids were a bit more laid back, along with the treble, then the bass and subbass would be able to pop out more. I like it this way, however, especially since it is way better than the ck10s, and those are overpriced pieces of jewelry!

 

I didn't know the fiio x5 would be more neutral, thanks for letting me know. That's why I asked you about amps and Dacs, as earfonia showed that the im02s are picky, especially with impedance levels >5. Making the treble forward and making it harder for you to experience the mids and lows.

 

 

That and the im02s also blend well with an amp or dac that favors one part of the sound spectrum over the other (low vs mids + highs), I hear it with the lg g2, and that's without an aam pso far.

 

Thank you for your time.

post #372 of 2974

Sony hybrid tips with the IM70 does make the sound better.  Bass is a little more crisper and not too sloppy/muddy/etc and vocals come out a little more.  I like these but still seeking much better as I'm selling my T1 because I'm looking for something that I can wear more.  The T1 are only used while at the computer.  I will miss them.  They are the best headphones I've ever had, but I rather have something that's not as good, but still really good that I can wear more often around the house.

post #373 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

Hands down, IM02 will have a better soundstage.  Regarding treble, "harsh" is a relative term because what might sounds harsh to you, might not be to me.  Do you know what I mean?  UE900 is a little more forgiving no matter what source you use, while IM02 might be a bit more picky where it sounds harsher driven directly from a smartphone or Clip+ vs driving it from X5 or E18 or another amp.  To my un-trained ears :) IM02 sounds harsher than UE900 but in general they are tolerable.  Sometimes a detailed bright sound (as in analytical) might sound harsh and you might not be able to handle it over extended listening period.  For my taste, I prefer IM03 over IM02 since I listen mostly to EDM and I need my mid-/sub-bass and a bit less of revealing upper mids and treble (electronic music can get harsh when you have too much brighteness).  But, as I mentioned before, IM-series delivery of vocals is simply fantastic and more natural.  UE900 sounds a bit more artificial when it comes to vocals and in comparison to IM02/03.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I was thinking of maybe getting the IM03's as well seeing they are not that much more expensive but they might be too big for my tiny ears.


Edited by Love Music - 3/22/14 at 3:13am
post #374 of 2974

I'm thinking of getting the IM02's from accessory Jack but i've never ordered from them before, are they quick and reliable? 

post #375 of 2974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Music View Post

I'm thinking of getting the IM02's from accessory Jack but i've never ordered from them before, are they quick and reliable? 


I haven't bought from them but I have seen a lot of other people buying from them. They are by far the cheapest I've seen for these at iems. The biggest problem are that they are sold out of the most popular ones. I was going to get a few im50s and im70s for birthday and Christmas presents so I don't have to worry about Christmas shopping later. Everyone will love them.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70