Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70 - Page 15

post #211 of 834

The vocals on the IM50 seem to be a touch grittier than the 70. I auditioned both for a while, and that was the biggest point of comparison between the 2 IEMS: Vocal reproduction on the 70 was better. Also, it's been mentioned before, but these certainly aren't basshead IEMS, even though the bass hits hard. Bass decay is a little quick, and after some time I find sub-bass reproduction (which is more important for basshead gear IMO) to be pretty neutral. The great thing though is that the bass does not bleed into the other frequencies, after owning a bunch of bassy IEMs I just wanted something that sounded clear, and while it does look like the IM-02 and up are the clarity champs, the 50 and 70 can't be very far behind.

 

An IM-02 purchase is definitely on the cards for me, the 70s were a bit of an impulse buy and they were cheaper lol. Don't regret the IM70 purchase one bit though.


Edited by bedlamite - 3/5/14 at 2:29am
post #212 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlamite View Post

The vocals on the IM50 seem to be a touch grittier than the 70. I auditioned both for a while, and that was the biggest point of comparison between the 2 IEMS: Vocal reproduction on the 70 was better. Also, it's been mentioned before, but these certainly aren't basshead IEMS, even though the bass hits hard. Bass decay is a little quick, and after some time I find sub-bass reproduction (which is more important for basshead gear IMO) to be pretty neutral. The great thing though is that the bass does not bleed into the other frequencies, after owning a bunch of bassy IEMs I just wanted something that sounded clear, and while it does look like the IM-02 and up are the clarity champs, the 50 and 70 can't be very far behind.

An IM-02 purchase is definitely on the cards for me, the 70s were a bit of an impulse buy and they were cheaper lol. Don't regret the IM70 purchase one bit though.
I suppose if you're looking for precision and clarity you may want to try out RE-272 or ER4S too. They're amazing. smily_headphones1.gif
post #213 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl500 View Post

Interesting thing about IM50/70 is that everyone hears differently - some say that 50 has more bass, others that 70.
Haha certainly. I'm one of them who finds that IM70 to have a slightly larger bass quantity. But however after some burn in or I should say some usage, the bass on IM50 seemed to be more controlled and tighter which isn't as much in quantity anymore.
post #214 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by phara0hseye View Post

I don't find them all that comfortable right now. Need the right tips. They will be here tomorrow. Ordered the Comply TS500 and T500 to cover all bases. The shipped T500 mediums are too small for my ears. The large silicones are okay but I don't like the feel in my ears. I'd rather have a shallower fit and think the Ts500s will be the perfect answer.

Compared to my Yamaha EPh-100s it is a different ball of wax. The treble on the 70s is less sibilant but a tad less articulate. The bass is diffidently weightier without mucking with the mids. Once I can seat them properly in my ears, I will be better able to evaluate the sound quality.

I'm using Philips silicone tips on my IM70, to me they fit perfectly and also sound great.
post #215 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHeadMara View Post

I'm using Philips silicone tips on my IM70, to me they fit perfectly and also sound great.

They look a lot like the stock silicones. What in your opinion makes them better?
post #216 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by phara0hseye View Post


They look a lot like the stock silicones. What in your opinion makes them better?

 

 

If you are refering to the Philips SHE3590 tips, I noticed that it has a wider opening compared to the Audio Technica's stock tips.


Edited by MelloWatic - 3/5/14 at 6:36am
post #217 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloWatic View Post


If you are refering to the Philips SHE3590 tips, I noticed that it has a wider opening compared to the Audio Technica's stock tips.
Exactly
post #218 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyHeadMara View Post


Exactly


I notice you own both the IM70 and MA750. Which do you prefer? One of these will be my next purchase.

post #219 of 834
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post


I suppose if you're looking for precision and clarity you may want to try out RE-272 or ER4S too. They're amazing. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Also ATH-IM02 and ATH-IM03 :wink_face:

post #220 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by earfonia View Post
 

 

Also ATH-IM02 and ATH-IM03 :wink_face:

+1000 this

 

Beats the ck10s, have a pretty sweet signature with some warmth in it, and has a good amount of bass *in fact, a bit more bass than that of the ck10s) and is pretty good in build quality. :atsmile:

 

Tried to mod them by using a different material than foam, didn't work out..

 

So much for extra bass for a basshead. :o

post #221 of 834
I usually listen to my beyerdynamic t1 but I wanted a decent set of iem to use with my phone without spending that much as I've blown too much money thanks to this site so I ordered the im70. I hope its as good as some of you say it is. Is it better than the klipsch s4? My gf has those and they sound decent for the money but I wanted something different.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
post #222 of 834

Just picked up a pair of IM50's from AccessoryJack - looking forward to them based on your review.

post #223 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRipo View Post

Just picked up a pair of IM50's from AccessoryJack - looking forward to them based on your review.
You'll be pleased!! smily_headphones1.gif
post #224 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post

You'll be pleased!! smily_headphones1.gif

+1
post #225 of 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Simpson View Post


I notice you own both the IM70 and MA750. Which do you prefer? One of these will be my next purchase.

I prefer IM70 a lot over MA750, IM70 just make MA750sound veiled when a/bing but both are great phones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70