Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70 - Page 13

post #181 of 1276
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 

 

Already have my eyes set on IM02, and once I get it will write my impression in comparison to W40 and UE900.

 

I'm waiting for it :bigsmile_face:

post #182 of 1276
It seems that the IM02 have been compared to the Westone W4, and the IM02 emerges winner in the sound quality department?

Have anybody however compared them to the Shure SE535LTD? Interested to hear opinions. I believe that the 535 would be more suited to vocals wouldn't it? With the im02 better for classical?

I've owned the 846 but already let them go and downgrading for reasons. They were perfect.
post #183 of 1276

Anybody else besides me interested in an IM02 vs. Fostex TE-05 comparison? :smile:

post #184 of 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post
 

Anybody else besides me interested in an IM02 vs. Fostex TE-05 comparison? :smile:

+1! Yes please!!!

post #185 of 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post
 

Anybody else besides me interested in an IM02 vs. Fostex TE-05 comparison? :smile:

 

Yes, I'm interested in.:popcorn: Do you have them? 

post #186 of 1276

Nope :) Waiting for the U.S. Fostex but I also see the IM02 on CoolJapanNow/CDjapan for $182(last I saw) and they are tempting as well. Don't have either one but based on my having/had time with the CK90 Pro and CK10, the AT are on my list.

post #187 of 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

It seems that the IM02 have been compared to the Westone W4, and the IM02 emerges winner in the sound quality department?

Have anybody however compared them to the Shure SE535LTD? Interested to hear opinions. I believe that the 535 would be more suited to vocals wouldn't it? With the im02 better for classical?

I've owned the 846 but already let them go and downgrading for reasons. They were perfect.

 

It's too early to jump into that conclusion yet, regarding Westone vs IM02, since only soundstage and bass was mentioned from memory recollection.  But if I'm going to find out that $200 IM02 beats $500 W40, that would be something :)

post #188 of 1276
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

It seems that the IM02 have been compared to the Westone W4, and the IM02 emerges winner in the sound quality department?

Have anybody however compared them to the Shure SE535LTD? Interested to hear opinions. I believe that the 535 would be more suited to vocals wouldn't it? With the im02 better for classical?

I've owned the 846 but already let them go and downgrading for reasons. They were perfect.

 

Well, I don't judge products by which one the winner... no such a thing... for example, if you use AK100 as player, you won't use IM02 with it, because it would be simply a loser.  But with matching player, IM02 sounds awesome!

W4 sounded very nice when I tried with GoVibe Porta Tube, but it was quite expensive so I didn't buy it, only tested in a shop. It was very impressive with W4, good match. So again, depend on matching with amp and your musical preference, no such a thing like which one is the winner.  It is just for me, at the end I sold my W4, simply because I didn't have much 'fun hour' with it paired with my player, after having it for about a year.  But for IM02, after tested it for about more than 2 weeks, it is on my wish list.  It is simply due to personal musical preference, not about one is inferior over the other. 

 

I haven't tried SE535LTD, but had a few days with SE535. SE535 is not my cup of tea, too dominant on the midrange for my taste. I certainly prefer IM02 over SE535.  But 846 is a very different beast, fuller and bigger sounding than the IM02, more oomph. IM02 more analytic, and might be slightly better on imaging.  So depend on what you're looking for. If 846 is perfect for you, IM02 might be a bit too analytical.  You better try IM03 (although doesn't as full and big as SE846), or maybe IM50 and IM70 for a full and more organic sound signature.

post #189 of 1276

For those that own the IM50, mind telling me how comfortable they are? Having trouble finding some good 'phones due my ears getting uncomfortably hot. So was thinking an IEM with behind the ear wire/clip on would work. I would love to order them, just would be a Japanese Import. Wonder if the warranty would be valid in the U.S. I use 'phones pretty frequently, nothing huge or anything, but probably at least 2 hours for movies or something like that.

post #190 of 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenixHD View Post
 

For those that own the IM50, mind telling me how comfortable they are? Having trouble finding some good 'phones due my ears getting uncomfortably hot. So was thinking an IEM with behind the ear wire/clip on would work. I would love to order them, just would be a Japanese Import. Wonder if the warranty would be valid in the U.S. I use 'phones pretty frequently, nothing huge or anything, but probably at least 2 hours for movies or something like that.


I got confirmation from Audio Technica US that only IM01/02/03/04 will be sold in US, not IM50/70.  Therefore, I don't believe IM50/70 warranty will be valid in US.  Also from my personal experience, anything bass heavy, as IM50 was described, is not that great for watching movies since bass/sub-bass overpowers vocal dialog of mids.

post #191 of 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 


I got confirmation from Audio Technica US that only IM01/02/03/04 will be sold in US, not IM50/70.  Therefore, I don't believe IM50/70 warranty will be valid in US.  Also from my personal experience, anything bass heavy, as IM50 was described, is not that great for watching movies since bass/sub-bass overpowers vocal dialog of mids.

 

No, you are wrong. IM50 is not a bassy iem. No overpowering or veiling on vocals and mids even if you increase the bass/subbass. They stay clear.

post #192 of 1276
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
 


I got confirmation from Audio Technica US that only IM01/02/03/04 will be sold in US, not IM50/70.  Therefore, I don't believe IM50/70 warranty will be valid in US.  Also from my personal experience, anything bass heavy, as IM50 was described, is not that great for watching movies since bass/sub-bass overpowers vocal dialog of mids.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post
 

 

No, you are wrong. IM50 is not a bassy iem. No overpowering or veiling on vocals and mids even if you increase the bass/subbass. They stay clear.

 

Right!  IM50, having good and full sounding bass doesn't mean that the bass will colored and muddied the midrange and vocal.  Vocal stays clear!

I thing I clearly mentioned it in the review, that this is what makes IM50 and IM70 special, that clarity is good, vocal stays clear, blends well with good quality and powerful bass.

Don't think that IM50 is like other oversized bass IEM that only good as bass generator, and destroy the rest of the spectrum... because IM50 is not like that. It stays musical all the time :)


Edited by earfonia - 3/3/14 at 4:56pm
post #193 of 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post
 

 

No, you are wrong. IM50 is not a bassy iem. No overpowering or veiling on vocals and mids even if you increase the bass/subbass. They stay clear.

 

If you say so.  I'm just going by earfonia review where he compared all 6 and stated that IM50/70 are not as analytical (comparing to IM02/03)  and IM50=IM70+subwoofer.  Also, their pricing goes up in IM50/IM70/IM01/02/03/04 order which also suggest about quality.

 

Btw, can anybody compare IM50/70 to CKX9is?


Edited by twister6 - 3/3/14 at 4:48pm
post #194 of 1276
Okay Gang. My ATH-IM70s just arrived from Amazon vendor Pries Japan (Japanese Life Goods). I will unbox these and get them cranking and come back with impressions.

Presently I have the Yamaha EPH-100s, Martin Logan Mikros 90s and a pair of Onkyo ES-HF300. Using iPod with RSA Shadow amp.











UPDATE 1:06PM CST

The medium silicones installed were too small for me ears. Switched to the medium Comply T500s. They were a bit size shy too but using a deep insertion (pulling ear to open canal) and waiting for the foam to set was a bit better. However that configuration had two problems. One the Complys were compressed toward the end and sucked all the treble out of the presentation. Two, the deeper insertion had the sound slamming into the wall of my ear canal rather than down the path. This exacerbated the problem. Switched to the large silicones and got a shallower fit with good seal. Treble appeared immediately. Upper mids came alive. I'd love a hybrid tip for these that fits. The monsters could work.

Listening to some Zedd, Daft Punk and Sade for starters. Them adore Straits, Steely Dan and some Yo-Yo Ma. Will be back.



UPDATE 3:00PM CST

Not all that enthralled with the fit even with the large silicones. Ordered two sets of 500 series (Ts and T) Complys that will arrive tomorrow. Enjoying the sound so far but I know there's more once fit and seal are corrected. .

UPDATE 5:36PM CST

I've been listening to these for several hours. My initial impressions are that these IEMs have a more studio monitor presence and feel. They are not as musical as the Yamaha EPH-100s. Also, the Yamaha's exhibit more sub-bass extension, but not as much bass impact overall. The mids on the ATH-IM70s is more forward, but a tad bit colored in comparison. Sade has a very smokey and often raspy voice. It provides nice textural notes for vocal auditioning. In the ATs she is front and center with less air and her textures smear. Through the Yamaha's she's is front and center but her space is a bit broader and the top edges of her voice are present without loss of integrity. I chalk this up to simply being two different approaches to rendering the sound—of which I'm a fond of both but enjoy the musicality of the Yamaha's more. Still more time is needed to enjoy these and adjust to their sound.

UPDATE 7:25PM CST

Retrofitted the ATH-IM70s with some old Monster gel tips I had laying around. Big improvement on fit and seal. Not perfect but makes for some interesting results. Bass tightened, highs un encumbered, mids smoothed out...comfortable. Not fond of the angle of the aperture posts. At least not for my ears. But this is working while I await delivery of the Largt T500 series Complys.

UPDATE 03/05/2014 4:57PM CST

The Complys should be at the apartment when I get home. I will install and test.
Edited by phara0hseye - 3/5/14 at 2:59pm
post #195 of 1276

Luckyy. I went the accessoryjack route to save a couple bucks and they still haven't even received their stock from AT... I ordered on Feb 18 -.-

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70