Excited to join everyone!
Alright, so right off the bat I hate buying new headphones. Deciding on a new pair of headphones, when you use them as much as I do, is a really daunting decision. Sound and sound quality is so subjective to each and every person - it's almost impossible to trust the endless Amazon reviews.
That said - really glad I found this site.
I currently have a pair of Brainwavz M2 which I listen to on my iPod 4. I love these headphones - they sound great however I do have a few minor issues:
- The cord, while really durable due to the extra material, is very annoying. It's kept it's form from being packaged the way it was and won't lie straight - it's, like, half tangled? Other owners I suspect while share this annoyance.
- The bass is A LITTLE punchy. I like a small amount extra bass, but on occasion I can hear it drowning out the mids.
They're also getting a little old...filters were lost. Basically, time for an upgrade.
What I listen to:
- "Jazz Fusion" / Progressive Rock: Miles, Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu, Mars Volta, Tull, ELP...basically any erratic or experimental form of Rock I'll give it a go
- That new Rock / Blues fusion: Jack White stuff, Black Keys
- Electronic and New Wave: Depeche Mode is the big one here...but lots of other stuff
Basically, my favorite instruments are the guitar and the synthesizer.
Some things I'm looking for:
- Accurate highs/mids/lows. Maybe a little extra bass? Maybe. Basically, correct sound representation. I think music should be listened to how the musician intended.
- Durability. I commute everyday from Long Island to NYC. My headphones and iPod come with me everywhere. Need them to last.
- Price tag of under $110 optimally
I've done some due diligence and I THINK I've got it down to five pairs (although I'm totally open to suggestions).
- HIFIMAN RE 400
- Etymotic Research HF5
- ThinkSound ts02
- Brainwavz B2 (little pricey)
- VSonic GR6
From here, I cannot decide. Can anyone give some solid advice based on my wall of text? Thanks so much,