Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help, should i keep the HD 598's or get the X1's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help, should i keep the HD 598's or get the X1's?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I've had the pleasure of owning the HD 598 for almost three weeks and I've almost no fault with the headphones. The HD 598 do everything well- a wonderful liquid-like midrange, a large, beautiful soundstage and smooth and absolutely unsibilant treble. (except for that peak from 17-20K, this can easily be fixed with EQ if you're sensitive to it though)

 

The only problems I have with it is simply the cable and the lack of sub-bass. The bass has definitely improved over burn-in, it's tighter and slightly extends more in my ears, however in bass heavy songs, I can't help but hear a lack of something. The bass is perhaps too overly polite in its presentation and I always find myself wanting just a little bit more punch.

 

I've heard the X1's have a beautiful soundstage and instrumental separation (though the soundstage is not as good as the Senn's) as well as thicker bass. (perhaps a little one-noted) The only problem I might have with it is the lack of replaceable parts and perhaps the midrange, which I've heard aren't too upfront with vocals.

 

I'd like to hear viewpoints from those who've tried either can (or both) and their own perspective on each of the phones. Any advice would be welcomed.

 

 

Cheers,

Garraty

post #2 of 9
If you like the HD598, then stick with them. The X1 extends lower, but ime, the bass is a bit boomy, and not suitable for all genres. I prefer the sound signature of the HD598, but the refinement of the X1.

However, the Sony MDR MA900 and DT880 give you the best of both worlds. They still won't give you the subbass of closed cans but its satisfactory.
post #3 of 9

The 598's are very good.

 

There are other headphones in that price range that do bass better, but they do other things worse.

 

To get a real improvement you need to step up a notch, try looking at the HD650/HE-500/HE-400 headphones.

 

The HE-400 & HE-500 require a fair bit of power to drive well (you need an amp of some sort) but they do sub bass extraordinarily well for their price range. I sold my HE-500 because I preferred the comfort of my HD650, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound of the HE-500's.

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garraty View Post
 

I've had the pleasure of owning the HD 598 for almost three weeks and I've almost no fault with the headphones. The HD 598 do everything well- a wonderful liquid-like midrange, a large, beautiful sound stage and smooth and absolutely unsibilant treble. (except for that peak from 17-20K, this can easily be fixed with EQ if you're sensitive to it though)

The only problems I have with it is simply the cable and the lack of sub-bass. The bass has definitely improved over burn-in, it's tighter and slightly extends more in my ears, however in bass heavy songs, I can't help but hear a lack of something. The bass is perhaps too overly polite in its presentation and I always find myself wanting just a little bit more punch.

I've heard the X1's have a beautiful sound stage and instrumental separation (though the sound stage is not as good as the Senn's) as well as thicker bass. (perhaps a little one-noted) The only problem I might have with it is the lack of replaceable parts and perhaps the midrange, which I've heard aren't too upfront with vocals.

I'd like to hear viewpoints from those who've tried either can (or both) and their own perspective on each of the phones. Any advice would be welcomed.

What sources (& DAC/amp) are you plugging your headphones into?

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

What sources (& DAC/amp) are you plugging your headphones into?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
 

The 598's are very good.

 

There are other headphones in that price range that do bass better, but they do other things worse.

 

To get a real improvement you need to step up a notch, try looking at the HD650/HE-500/HE-400 headphones.

 

The HE-400 & HE-500 require a fair bit of power to drive well (you need an amp of some sort) but they do sub bass extraordinarily well for their price range. I sold my HE-500 because I preferred the comfort of my HD650, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound of the HE-500's.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

If you like the HD598, then stick with them. The X1 extends lower, but ime, the bass is a bit boomy, and not suitable for all genres. I prefer the sound signature of the HD598, but the refinement of the X1.

However, the Sony MDR MA900 and DT880 give you the best of both worlds. They still won't give you the subbass of closed cans but its satisfactory.

 

@ Trunks159 I've tried the Beyer's and though they have many wonderful qualities, they aren't for me. As for the Sony's, I'll check them out later!

 

@ TwoEars As much as I'd love to, I can't get the HE-400/500's or HD 600/650's or anything else in that price range as I don't have that kind of money. When I do however, I plan to do so, especially the HE-400i's that are coming out soon! :D

 

@ PurpleAngel My current sources are primarily my desktop and laptop, though I have an iPod and will be getting an Android smartphone in the summer. I haven't gotten an amp quite yet; I'm undecided if I should get the O2 or the AudioEngine D3.

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 

Bump.

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 

Bump.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garraty View Post
 

 

@ TwoEars As much as I'd love to, I can't get the HE-400/500's or HD 600/650's or anything else in that price range as I don't have that kind of money. When I do however, I plan to do so, especially the HE-400i's that are coming out soon! :D

 

So you've answered your own question then...

post #9 of 9
What I'd do is wait and save up some money until you can get the he500. It has everything you're looking for, and you can just forget about any other headphone.

The hd650 is also an excellent choice, though you will probably find it too dark since you like the hd598.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help, should i keep the HD 598's or get the X1's?