or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread - Page 67

post #991 of 2222
Picked up a balanced cable from Headphonelounge for balanced out.

post #992 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Has anyone dared the RWAK240 yet? It supposedly give more bass body.

 

Really undecided on that. Bass is plenty enough on my balanced IE800 (and already was on my previous unbalanced one). That modification is supposed to improve other things as well, but the emphasis seems to be the bass.


Edited by Fafner - 5/13/14 at 8:40am
post #993 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideousPride View Post

Picked up a balanced cable from Headphonelounge for balanced out.

 

I'm considering order one from Headphone Lounge for my SE846's. Which type of cable did you get? What's your impression so far?

post #994 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post

I'm considering order one from Headphone Lounge for my SE846's. Which type of cable did you get? What's your impression so far?
I did the balanced silver Litz from Ted at Headphone Lounge. Amazing! You'll hear things you didn't know we're on the recordings. BTW, while talking to Ted he mentioned his number one order is cables for the SE846. Lots of folks going to him for that upgrade.
post #995 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewayne View Post


I did the balanced silver Litz from Ted at Headphone Lounge. Amazing! You'll hear things you didn't know we're on the recordings. BTW, while talking to Ted he mentioned his number one order is cables for the SE846. Lots of folks going to him for that upgrade.

 

Ah - good to hear.  I was considering the Litz.  I think you convinced me to go for it!

post #996 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post

Ah - good to hear.  I was considering the Litz.  I think you convinced me to go for it!
Glad I could help. I'd ask Ted for a commission ;-) but he's a one man operation, from order taking, to hand custom creation and then he is the shipping department! A real straight arrow-all too rare these days.
post #997 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewayne View Post

Glad I could help. I'd ask Ted for a commission ;-) but he's a one man operation, from order taking, to hand custom creation and then he is the shipping department! A real straight arrow-all too rare these days.
Ted is great,Great deals, Great prices, very fast. Can't go wrong.
post #998 of 2222

Just placed an order with Ted.  Thanks for the recommendations!

post #999 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Has anyone dared the RWAK240 yet? It supposedly give more bass body.

Just joining the party and have a RWAK240 in transit. Will be using this primarily with LCD XC/TH900 and Tralucent Ref. 1 (in the near future). I've be holding out on the 240 for the past few month waiting for RWA's version. 

post #1000 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeout View Post
 

Just joining the party and have a RWAK240 in transit. Will be using this primarily with LCD XC/TH900 and Tralucent Ref. 1 (in the near future). I've be holding out on the 240 for the past few month waiting for RWA's version. 

Nice, let us know hoe the lcd-xc sound from the AK240.  I've been wondering which can to get as I've never used headphones before just iems.  Been considering either the hd800 or the lcd-xc.  I prefer clarity/details/mids.

post #1001 of 2222

Will do once I receive it and run in a bit. Sonic wise, both HD800 and LCD XC have tremendous clarity/details/mids but in different favours. The XCs are more "amp friendly", so I would suspect a better pairing with RWAK 240.

post #1002 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeout View Post
 

Will do once I receive it and run in a bit. Sonic wise, both HD800 and LCD XC have tremendous clarity/details/mids but in different favours. The XCs are more "amp friendly", so I would suspect a better pairing with RWAK 240.

I have a Chord Hugo as well and use that at home so amps not a problem.  The hd800 has much higher impedance than the lcd-xc though but if they need an amp for more oomph I don't mind :)

post #1003 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeout View Post
 

Just joining the party and have a RWAK240 in transit. Will be using this primarily with LCD XC/TH900 and Tralucent Ref. 1 (in the near future). I've be holding out on the 240 for the past few month waiting for RWA's version. 

Hi holeout

 

Are you gonna use the RWAK240 to drive TH900? Did you mod the TH900 to balance version? Or are you put it in the 3.5mm SE instead of balance out? :)

 

Im confusing whether i should mod my TH900 to balance or just keep it stock and use the 3.5 SE.... >_<

post #1004 of 2222

Yes, I'm gonna try out both the TH900 and LCD XC pairing with the RWAK240. My TH900 is stock, IMO and from Vinnie's comments, I don't think it's necessary to do balance for the TH900s as they are low impedance quite easy to drive. I've use DX100, C4, AK120, ASP T05, WA7, Wagnus.... all single ended without any power related issues. I would think changing the cable (SE or balanced) will affect the sound signature due to different structure and material of the cable and should be experimented as there is no way to tell if the change is to your liking. If you indeed want to change the cable, I suggest that you use mini xlr connectors so you can change cables to find the SQ you like. I think somebody already did that in the TH900 thread. For me, I'll keep it stock as I think Th900 is designed as single ended. Maybe just shorten the cable a bit for portability.

post #1005 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeout View Post

Yes, I'm gonna try out both the TH900 and LCD XC pairing with the RWAK240. My TH900 is stock, IMO and from Vinnie's comments, I don't think it's necessary to do balance for the TH900s as they are low impedance quite easy to drive. I've use DX100, C4, AK120, ASP T05, WA7, Wagnus.... all single ended without any power related issues. I would think changing the cable (SE or balanced) will affect the sound signature due to different structure and material of the cable and should be experimented as there is no way to tell if the change is to your liking. If you indeed want to change the cable, I suggest that you use mini xlr connectors so you can change cables to find the SQ you like. I think somebody already did that in the TH900 thread. For me, I'll keep it stock as I think Th900 is designed as single ended. Maybe just shorten the cable a bit for portability.

Thanks for the reply! That explained a lot of my questions. smily_headphones1.gif

I'm gonna do the same way as you say: shorten the cable to 1.5m and change the plug. Should I choose the 3.5 Oyaide gold plug instead of some other 6.3 Furutech plug? smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread