Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread - Page 7

post #91 of 1794

.


Edited by kkcc - 2/25/14 at 4:48am
post #92 of 1794

Hey guys. Did/does your leather case smell 'odd'. When opening the box I though I'd passed wind without realising it. Jeeez!!!

post #93 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
 

Hey guys. Did/does your leather case smell 'odd'. When opening the box I though I'd passed wind without realising it. Jeeez!!!

 

FYI: Chemicals used in the processing of Leather:

 

Ammonium sulphate
Ammonium sulphate is used during the deliming process and helps remove lime from the hides or skins

Ammonium chloride
Ammonium chloride is used during the deliming process and helps remove lime from the hides or skins
 

What does 'Ammonium' anything...smell like?.....piss   images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMfaq9GVa9jMISPjBuko18bZkKckqNbG954-K5XZDEEcmEcZ7i

post #94 of 1794

Our (Audio360.org's) AK240 review is finally up.  :smile:  Don't want to double post a whole bunch of impressions, so I'll just link to it instead:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/707432/review-astell-kern-ak240.  Seems like most of us feel fairly similarly about it after auditioning it.

post #95 of 1794

Thanks. It's beginning to smell like high class leather now (after 48 hours). Apologies for being so flippant - but you guys have to see the funny side of the 'grand' unboxing (with Misses hovering to see what a £2k player looks like) and me - reverentially - slowly opening the box. And bloody hell!!! The smell!!!

Agree, it feels wonderfully comfortable in the hand. For those that do - don't take the mick out of the shape. It works for me.

post #96 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Thanks. It's beginning to smell like high class leather now (after 48 hours). Apologies for being so flippant - but you guys have to see the funny side of the 'grand' unboxing (with Misses hovering to see what a £2k player looks like) and me - reverentially - slowly opening the box. And bloody hell!!! The smell!!!
Agree, it feels wonderfully comfortable in the hand. For those that do - don't take the mick out of the shape. It works for me.

Lol that is hilarious! But you are really a brave soul... I can't even imagine what the Misses would do if she know how much this thing really is!

Enjoy your new purchase and it is really a joy to pair it up with various IEMs and HPs and find how nice they all sound! Loving it with my 1plus2 now biggrin.gif

post #97 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
 

For those that do - don't take the mick out of the shape.

 

                         

post #98 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

 

................CF Porn....:eek:.............

post #99 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Our (Audio360.org's) AK240 review is finally up.  smile.gif   Don't want to double post a whole bunch of impressions, so I'll just link to it instead:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/707432/review-astell-kern-ak240.  Seems like most of us feel fairly similarly about it after auditioning it.

From what you say it seems like the best thing since sliced bread...this review comes off as a bit one sided...and saying without reserve that a 2.5k$ is well worth the investment? Unlike the Tera player...for what its worth the Tera player, when well paired kicked the crap out the warmish AK120.

I am sure this player is awesome since many people agree...but this reads as quite one sided, and acknowledging that it is now ok to price DAPs at this level...
post #100 of 1794

Here is the problem, how do we put a price on sound? The folks in the industry seem to know a way, it is that i cannot agree with it. Truth be told I ahve not tried AK240 so cannot comment fairly but I have owned all their other products and say they are great but not worth the price they are asking for. If we are only concerned for sound with the same amount they are asking for we can find much better stack but I suppose it is a lot less transportable and if one cares for portability their DAP option with UI sadly is limited and therefore must include the AK line.

 

With 3000 I can get teh V200+V800+left over for a decent headphone.

post #101 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Our (Audio360.org's) AK240 review is finally up.  smile.gif   Don't want to double post a whole bunch of impressions, so I'll just link to it instead:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/707432/review-astell-kern-ak240.  Seems like most of us feel fairly similarly about it after auditioning it.

From what you say it seems like the best thing since sliced bread...this review comes off as a bit one sided...and saying without reserve that a 2.5k$ is well worth the investment? Unlike the Tera player...for what its worth the Tera player, when well paired kicked the crap out the warmish AK120.

I am sure this player is awesome since many people agree...but this reads as quite one sided, and acknowledging that it is now ok to price DAPs at this level...

 

Nope, it's not the best thing since sliced bread.  Actually, IIRC correctly, I think said it wasn't sliced bread.  :D  That said, I am very impressed with the player - which is something that I never thought would happen when I first learned about it.

 

And for the record, the AK240 also kicks the crap out of the AK120 (much to my dismay as I have an AK120).  But my point about it being worth it over the Tera Player is that it's additional features warrant the cost.  The large touchscreen, Android-based OS, Wi-Fi capabilities, etc. are a huge convenience.  They go a long, long way towards making the user experience a positive one... especially over the Stealth Tera... for those of us who don't - you know - use The Force to control our DAPs.  ;)

 

It's my hope that everyone gets a chance to try it out.  Not just give it an audition, but actually out it through some daily use.  Believe me when I say, that regardless of how much doubt and skepticism people have (and our level of skepticism was considerable before we used it mind you), it's a hard player to put down or let go of once you get used to it.

post #102 of 1794
Fair enough, thanks for the feedback and review.
post #103 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

Fair enough, thanks for the feedback and review.

 

Thanks!  :smile:  I'd be interested in seeing some more reviews myself.  Jude seems to have positive initial impressions.  And even Tyll is reserving any premature judgment pending - what I presume - is an ongoing and thorough evaluation.

 

That said, most of the people that own it (or have used it extensively) seem to agree that it is quite something.  I won't rule out confirmation bias... but seeing as how most people tend to be pretty pissed when they feel duped, and seeing as how I haven't come across any user rants yet... I think it bodes well for Astell & Kern.

 

Here's an interesting question for ya - do you think the AK240 is worth its price more than that doomed AR player was worth its price?  :D

post #104 of 1794
Hum...I am not sure...I would buy neither at current price. Based on the value I attributed to the ak120, i.e. 900$ tops, I would have paid 1.5k$ for the AK240. The AR sounds great but 4 hours battery amd 32g memory? Worth...well 0 to me.
post #105 of 1794

For what it's worth I was firmly in the 'never in a million years would I buy this' and then, quite by chance, found myself with no player (yes, I'm that parsimonious I only want one-my iPhone 4 is ok but it's a phone) and a heap of money.

 

I bought this because of serendipity-try as I might-something went wrong with every deal to replace my Titan. Someone/thing was speaking to me. I needed a player and hadn't heard a decent one for 21 days. I was in withdrawal.

 

I pressed the button knowing I was buying from someone with a generous returns policy. But after a few days NO WAY will you/anyone get this from me. It's got a fantastic sound/fantastic fast UI/fantastic potential (I hope). Having said all that it is a bit Hi-Fi and I miss the colour/emotion of the AK120. I would stick my neck out and say that if, as an example, Rock rocks your boat then the AK120 is for you. The AK240 is very polite and well balanced. That sound is not what everyone wants.

 

For those of you who want flashing lights, art everywhere etc. can I draw an analogy? I have a Rolex watch. Why? Because I've always wanted a Rolex (I've had this one for about 10 years). Believe me it costs a fortune to buy and a fortune to service. It's mechanical, I adjust it about once a week. A £5 quartz watch I could buy in the market tells time better. Has more facilities etc. See what I mean?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread