or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread - Page 54

post #796 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

I don't believe anyone is saying all digital transports are equal. This is quite apparent especially when looking at home speaker components (e.g. Accuphase's implementation of transport vs other brands, etc.). What we're questioning is if the digital out optical differences between AK1x0 & AK240. The assumption I personally made was that iRiver wouldn't have invested into changing the optical out from the AK1x0 to the AK240 but would be pleasantly (& welcomingly) surprised if they did.

Good but then why do you limit the possible upgrades (between Ak100 & Ak240) only to the implémentation of the optical-out ? Can't there be also upgrades in other places before the transmission-out ? ( reading, packing data...)

For exemple the Aurender x100 & w20 are Said to share the Same USB Impl√©mentation, but I am s√Ľre that the big brother (5 Time more expensive) still sound better even through USB. The price diff√©rence between the 2 can't be only in the output ports !

Same for AK ? IMo
Edited by bmichels - 4/26/14 at 7:29am
post #797 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

I don't believe anyone is saying all digital transports are equal. This is quite apparent especially when looking at home speaker components (e.g. Accuphase's implementation of transport vs other brands, etc.). What we're questioning is if the digital out optical differences between AK1x0 & AK240. The assumption I personally made was that iRiver wouldn't have invested into changing the optical out from the AK1x0 to the AK240 but would be pleasantly (& welcomingly) surprised if they did.

Hi Sean

I believe For AK 240 IRiver has done some improvement their optical out on AK 240 ,

I have compared to AK 100 / AK 120 the SQ are different between AK 120 vs AK 240 through optical out

Source : AK 120
AK 240
Dac / Amp : IBasso D 12
Cable : sys concept Canada 2.2 mm 1300 strands
Music file : WAV only
Song : Joe Bonamassa blues delight

AK 120 :

High : is thiner , less detail , and less presence
Mid : sound to mid high , mid is less pronounce
Bass : less impact and thiner bass body
Separation : is lesser than AK 240
Soundstage : is not so wide and less depth
Background : black background

Overall SQ : less weight , thinner sound


AK 240

High : more presence
Mid : better pronounce and more weight in the mid , more clear and cleaner
Bass : better bass body , better bass impact
Separation : much better than AK 120
Soundstage : wider and has better depth than AK 120
Background : more black background

Overall SQ : Better bass body , more weight that individual instrument more pronounce
Has fuller sound than AK 120

IMO


Edited by rudi0504 - 4/26/14 at 11:03am
post #798 of 2222
I'm not the fountain of all knowledge on this, but iirc while both aurenders are effectively pc's the more expensive aurender uses a custom made mainboard designed specifically for handling audio server duty with optimized shielding, signal paths, power supplies, etc. while the cheaper uses more off the shelf boards.

I doubt the optical circuitry and components differ much between the two aurenders or similarly between the ak's, but how they're arranged, configured or powered may have an impact. May be.
post #799 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

Hi Sean

I believe I the other way , that they / Iriver their optical out in AK 240 compare to AK 100 / AK 120

I have compared the SQ are different between AK 120 vs AK 240

Source : AK 120
AK 240
Dac / Amp : IBasso D 12
Cable : sys concept Canada 2.2 mm 1300 strands
Music file : WAV only
Song : Joe Bonamassa blues delight

AK 120 :

High : is thiner , less detail , and less presence
Mid : sound to mid high , mid is less pronounce
Bass : less impact and thiner bass body
Separation : is lesser than AK 240
Soundstage : is not so wide and less depth
Background : black background

Overall SQ : less weight , thinner sound


AK 240

High : more presence
Mid : better pronounce and more weight in the mid , more clear and cleaner
Bass : better bass body , better bass impact
Separation : much better than AK 120
Soundstage : wider and has better depth than AK 120
Background : more black background

Overall SQ : Better bass body , more weight that individual instrument more pronounce
Has fuller sound than AK 120

IMO


I don't get you rudi :

On one End you say " I believe I the other way , that they / Iriver their optical out in AK 240 compare to AK 100 / AK 120"

And... Then you say that thé AK240 really sound better than the AK100 ? Did you compared them through Optical-out ? Or Line out ?
post #800 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post


Hi Sean

I believe I the other way , that they / Iriver their optical out in AK 240 compare to AK 100 / AK 120

I have compared the SQ are different between AK 120 vs AK 240

Source : AK 120
AK 240
Dac / Amp : IBasso D 12
Cable : sys concept Canada 2.2 mm 1300 strands
Music file : WAV only
Song : Joe Bonamassa blues delight

AK 120 :

High : is thiner , less detail , and less presence
Mid : sound to mid high , mid is less pronounce
Bass : less impact and thiner bass body
Separation : is lesser than AK 240
Soundstage : is not so wide and less depth
Background : black background

Overall SQ : less weight , thinner sound


AK 240

High : more presence
Mid : better pronounce and more weight in the mid , more clear and cleaner
Bass : better bass body , better bass impact
Separation : much better than AK 120
Soundstage : wider and has better depth than AK 120
Background : more black background

Overall SQ : Better bass body , more weight that individual instrument more pronounce
Has fuller sound than AK 120

IMO

Hey rudi- The best part of your review is that you used Joe Bonamassa! Just saw him in concert in San Antonio, Texas, and was blown away. He definitely needs to be heard on the 240. BTW, do you recommend recabling my Fostex TH-900 to balanced? Will it make that much of a difference? I'm also enjoying my UE reference Capitol series IEMs as a perfect match.

post #801 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

I don't get you rudi :

On one End you say " I believe I the other way , that they / Iriver their optical out in AK 240 compare to AK 100 / AK 120"

And... Then you say that thé AK240 really sound better than the AK100 ? Did you compared them through Optical-out ? Or Line out ?

I am sorry for my bad English Michels

I have tried in optical out

What I mean , I believe IRiver has done some improvement in optical out on their AK 240
AK 240 through optical out , SQ is better than from AK 100 / AK 120

Through line out AK 240 has better SQ than AK 100 / AK 120
post #802 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

I don't believe anyone is saying all digital transports are equal. This is quite apparent especially when looking at home speaker components (e.g. Accuphase's implementation of transport vs other brands, etc.). What we're questioning is if the digital out optical differences between AK1x0 & AK240. The assumption I personally made was that iRiver wouldn't have invested into changing the optical out from the AK1x0 to the AK240 but would be pleasantly (& welcomingly) surprised if they did.

I honestly have no idea and not in a position to comment other than actual listening experience, but I would also be surprised that the only difference between AK100,AK120 and AK240 are strictly the DAC and the amp with everything else exactly the same.
post #803 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewayne View Post

Hey rudi- The best part of your review is that you used Joe Bonamassa! Just saw him in concert in San Antonio, Texas, and was blown away. He definitely needs to be heard on the 240. BTW, do you recommend recabling my Fostex TH-900 to balanced? Will it make that much of a difference? I'm also enjoying my UE reference Capitol series IEMs as a perfect match.

Thank you
Balance set up,has always benefit , until now don't have proper TRRS plug , that's why I am waiting to good ones
Because the cable from TH 900 is thick , I don't have any idea can fit to TRRS plug or not ?

I love Joe Bonamassa He is my favorite blues Sanger biggrin.gif
post #804 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by name View Post

Hi Sean

I believe For AK 240 IRiver has done some improvement their optical out on AK 240 ,

I have compared to AK 100 / AK 120 the SQ are different between AK 120 vs AK 240 through optical out

Source : AK 120
AK 240
Dac / Amp : IBasso D 12
Cable : sys concept Canada 2.2 mm 1300 strands
Music file : WAV only
Song : Joe Bonamassa blues delight

AK 120 :

High : is thiner , less detail , and less presence
Mid : sound to mid high , mid is less pronounce
Bass : less impact and thiner bass body
Separation : is lesser than AK 240
Soundstage : is not so wide and less depth
Background : black background

Overall SQ : less weight , thinner sound


AK 240

High : more presence
Mid : better pronounce and more weight in the mid , more clear and cleaner
Bass : better bass body , better bass impact
Separation : much better than AK 120
Soundstage : wider and has better depth than AK 120
Background : more black background

Overall SQ : Better bass body , more weight that individual instrument more pronounce
Has fuller sound than AK 120

IMO


Thanks Rudi for your impressions. Like you, I can definitely hear the difference. And I suggest everyone tries them out.

I understand why some could be skeptical and assume it's all in our mind. I guess if I enjoy my music a bit more, it will be worth my while.

Not applying to anyone here and in a completely different situation, I still have friends who insist all CD transports sound alike. The difference is psychological.
post #805 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Good but then why do you limit the possible upgrades (between Ak100 & Ak240) only to the implémentation of the optical-out ? Can't there be also upgrades in other places before the transmission-out ? ( reading, packing data...)

For exemple the Aurender x100 & w20 are Said to share the Same USB Impl√©mentation, but I am s√Ľre that the big brother (5 Time more expensive) still sound better even through USB. The price diff√©rence between the 2 can't be only in the output ports !

Same for AK ? IMo
Why not? After all the main selling points of the AK240 are its DSD native, and CS4398, balanced headphones, online connectivity, etc but no one was craving for better transport out of the AK1x0. So from a business standpoint, it's very reasonable to assume a maker not to focus improvements on areas that customers aren't asking for but more on areas that customers are asking for....it's the 80/20 guideline.

Did you try the Aurender models or are you assuming "more expensive" == "better"? Anyway that's off-topic.
post #806 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarainfo View Post


It got fixed by the last update
Dsd now outputs thru optical as 176 PCM

Thanks again, updated and played DSD through Hugo, it was wonderful despite the PCM conversion.

post #807 of 2222

Good on yah DBO240! I know, buying the AK240 was supposed to be the 'end'. It's just the start. Flaming wallet club Senior Member.


Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 4/27/14 at 6:02am
post #808 of 2222

the ak240 case quality is really bad. mine has dents and scratches all over it after 1 month use. It has only been in my pocket on its own.

 

Is there any way of repairing the dents and scratches?

post #809 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcar View Post
 

the ak240 case quality is really bad. mine has dents and scratches all over it after 1 month use. 

 

FYI - AK leather cases are strickly for show and not for go....they are all (100, 120, 240) VERY fragile, easily stratched and dented. ;-(

 

Your best option is to take it to a high quality leathersmith or shoe repair and see if they can re-die (re-finish) the leather. Or just use your trashed case for field work/travel.

post #810 of 2222

you might try fiebing's 4 way care 


Edited by teds headfood - 4/29/14 at 11:04am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread