or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread - Page 44

post #646 of 2222
Thanks - just what I hoped to hear
post #647 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods1dj View Post
 

The 128gb is not quite available here in USA yet (at least I haven't found them yet.  However, the 64gb works wonderfully and I am sure the 128 will do the same.  One thing to be aware of is the formatting of the card.  It is possible to ruin the card with the formatting software that comes with you computer depending on how it is configured.  It is recommended that you download the proper formatter (can be found here: "https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ " for best results.  My 64gb card worked for about a week and then could not be read without errors by the AK240.  I had to copy the music folder contents to the desktop, format the card with the formatter listed above and re-copied the music to the card, then re-inserted it back into the AK240 and was read without issue.  I have had to do this twice since I got the unit and am unclear if it is the issue with the AK240 or the card itself.  When the AK240 shows errors and continual reboots to attempt the read, I remove it and put it in and adapter directly into the PC and it reads fine, after formatting and re-installation of the music folder it is fine again.  I hope this helps.

 

I have two of these from Amazon: SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-128G-AFFP-A).

post #648 of 2222
My Toxic Cables Gold Plated Silver Poison with 2.5mm balanced plug has landed! It's a beauty and sounds wonderful with my Fitear 435 off the AK240! smily_headphones1.gif
post #649 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

My Toxic Cables Gold Plated Silver Poison with 2.5mm balanced plug has landed! It's a beauty and sounds wonderful with my Fitear 435 off the AK240! smily_headphones1.gif
Damm!!! That's a fine looking cable!!! Enjoy the Balanced out...
post #650 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh600rr View Post


Damm!!! That's a fine looking cable!!! Enjoy the Balanced out...

 

Thanks! I'm happy to report that, thus far, it sounds as good as it looks out of my Fitear C435. :L3000:

post #651 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

thanks for your answer.   But it looks like you have not heard so far the  1plus2 ?  right ?

 

No, I have not heard the 1plus2.

post #652 of 2222

OK, where to start.

 

For two days now, I have been listening to my AK240 with SE846's via the Whiplash Audio TWAG V3 balanced cable. I don't quite know how to describe what it sounds like because I haven't really heard anything like this from a portable system before.

 

Its easier to tell you what I don't hear. I don't hear the amp! Amazingly, even though they are nowhere near full size, I don't hear the IEM's. All I hear is music in my head - its simply astounding.

 

The way the music is handled is so subtle, delicate and transparent - it's pretty spooky. I think this might be what they call synergy. The sound stage is large, the resolution is amazing (I really am hearing things I have never noticed before) and the bass is large but very well controlled.

 

I think there is something even more special in the balanced output of the AK240 than the already great single ended side. I don't think I can ever go back to single ended, and I find it hard to imagine how any of these up and coming DAP's can better this - but shall wait to see.

 

However, when I think how much the setup cost, it ought to be something special :-)


Edited by piercer - 4/9/14 at 10:57am
post #653 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercer View Post
 

OK, where to start.

 

For two days now, I have been listening to my AK240 with SE846's via the Whiplash Audio TWAG V3 balanced cable. I don't quite know how to describe what it sounds like because I haven't really heard anything like this from a portable system before.

 

Its easier to tell you what I don't hear. I don't hear the amp! Amazingly, even though they are nowhere near full size, I don't hear the IEM's. All I hear is music in my head - its simply astounding.

 

The way the music is handled is so subtle, delicate and transparent - it's pretty spooky. I think this might be what they call synergy. The sound stage is large, the resolution is amazing (I really am hearing things I have never noticed before) and the bass is large but very well controlled.

 

I think there is something even more special in the balanced output of the AK240 than the already great single ended side. I don't think I can ever go back to single ended, and I find it hard to imagine how any of these up and coming DAP's can better this - but shall wait to see.

 

However, when I think how much the setup cost, it ought to be something special :-)

 

Hi piercer,

 

Your comments have me biting at the bit waiting for my Double Helix balanced cable for my LCD-XCs. I won't be getting it until May from what Peter says because he's waiting for a shipment of custom made 2.5mm TRRS connectors that are supposed to be something special.

 

Congrats on your new setup and the wonderful sound it creates ... I'm jealous. :wink_face:

post #654 of 2222

I want to mention that my AK240 sent to iriver has been replaced with a brand new unit‚ÄĒthe volume control issue I previously reported was confirmed.¬†It was shipped today according to Jimmy and I should have it on Friday. Again, Jimmy was great in handing my claim, so I want everyone to know this just in case they ever have to send back their 240.

 

Now comes 2 weeks of 24/7 burn-in to get my new 240 back to sounding like my previous one ...

post #655 of 2222

Oh, one other thing, if anyone is interested in another stock case, I may be selling the new one coming with my 240, and selling it cheap. I'm fond of the new blue case and I've reached out to my dealer, teds headfood, to see how much it will cost. PM me if your interested.

 

Post number 400 for me ... I'm starting to feel like a veteran.

post #656 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post

I want to mention that my AK240 sent to iriver has been replaced with a brand new unit‚ÄĒthe volume control issue I previously reported was confirmed.¬†It was shipped today according to Jimmy and I should have it on Friday. Again, Jimmy was great in handing my claim, so I want everyone to know this just in case they ever have to send back their 240.

Now comes 2 weeks of 24/7 burn-in to get my new 240 back to sounding like my previous one ...
Hey, good deal your getting your AK-240, I bet your happy as can be.
post #657 of 2222

I'm starting to grab the UERMs and the AK240 quite a bit when I want to listen now, more than the HD-800s on my main rig. I never would have imagined that in the past.

 

I loaded some more DSD onto the AK240, especially acoustic albums that I already have in CD quality or high-res. While it is not a huge difference, I am starting to enjoy the added smoothness of the DSD versions of those albums.


Edited by Currawong - 4/9/14 at 8:15pm
post #658 of 2222

Anyone having issues with the "Power" options not working?  I like to fall asleep to music and have set what I think should result in the player turning off after reaching the end of the album I choose. I have "Auto Power Off" set to 10 minutes, "Screen Off" set to 10 seconds and "Sleep Off" set to 1 hour.  "Screen Off" works fine - turns the screen off in the 10 seconds.  However, once I wake up in the morning, the unit remains on, just sitting at the last track on the album.  Can't get it to power off automatically.

 

BTW - Album repeat isn't on - it will only play through an album once through the end.

post #659 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post

Anyone having issues with the "Power" options not working?  I like to fall asleep to music and have set what I think should result in the player turning off after reaching the end of the album I choose. I have "Auto Power Off" set to 10 minutes, "Screen Off" set to 10 seconds and "Sleep Off" set to 1 hour.  "Screen Off" works fine - turns the screen off in the 10 seconds.  However, once I wake up in the morning, the unit remains on, just sitting at the last track on the album.  Can't get it to power off automatically.

BTW - Album repeat isn't on - it will only play through an album once through the end.
According to the manual:

Automatic Shutdown: The device will turn off after a defined period when there is no user input.
Sleep Timer: Music playback will stop, and the device will turn off after a defined period.

I tested out the functions and figured out how they work. Funny logic, makes sense though. Apparently the manual is not (completely) correct; this is how the functions really work:

Automatic Shutdown: Everyone should know this already but what the manual doesn't mention is device won't shutdown automatically if music is playing, even if there's no "user input" during the period. That's why sleep timer is needed.
Sleep Timer: It stops the music after the time period you set, say 10 minutes. During that 10 minutes you can "input" which won't matter, music will stop alright after 10 minutes regardless. It won't turn off the device though at this point - now it moves onto Automatic Shutdown timer.

Therefore, if you want it to shutdown in 20 minutes which is the shortest time possible, you set 10 minutes for both Automatic Shutdown and Sleep Timer. Sleep Timer will stop the music after 10 minutes, then Automatic Shutdown will turn off the device after another 10 minutes of idling. I tested with that setting and it worked.

Btw, playlist problem still persists which irritates me. The only thing AK240 disappoints me is it somehow can't get playlist to work straight for such an expensive device, my playlist keeps getting wiped clean randomly that I have to readd songs to the list from time to time. Really frustrating.
post #660 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrondaniel View Post
 

Anyone having issues with the "Power" options not working?  I like to fall asleep to music and have set what I think should result in the player turning off after reaching the end of the album I choose. I have "Auto Power Off" set to 10 minutes, "Screen Off" set to 10 seconds and "Sleep Off" set to 1 hour.  "Screen Off" works fine - turns the screen off in the 10 seconds.  However, once I wake up in the morning, the unit remains on, just sitting at the last track on the album.  Can't get it to power off automatically.

 

BTW - Album repeat isn't on - it will only play through an album once through the end.

 

I reported this issue to iriver.  So, they are aware of it.  Hopefully, they will fix it in the next update.  The temp fix i have is to not use the Sleep option.  The regular Auto Power off works by itself.  Just play one album without repeating and it should shutdown with the Auto Power Off setting.  For some reason, the Sleep option only stops the music from playing but does not turn off the device.  It also seems to interfere with the Auto Power option.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread