or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread - Page 41

post #601 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargatanas View Post
 

it was direct usb from first class. just like charging from a desktop

 

hmmm, I wonder whether that was the cause or it was merely coincidence ...

post #602 of 2222
I've been under the impression that USB is always the same voltage, but amperage may vary. My iPhone had a 1 amp charger, but the iPad had a 2 amp charger, for instance. I would not imagine that USB on an airplane would be more than 2 amps though.
post #603 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

 

hmmm, I wonder whether that was the cause or it was merely coincidence ...

i charged my phone prior to hooking up the AK240. no issues at all. plus, usb is low power. i dont get it

post #604 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargatanas View Post
 

i was using the plane usb connect. i think it's a 3.0 high speed. what is the max voltage this unit will charge safely? is it safe to charge using a usb/120 volt charge? i got a feeling this company is gonna give me the run around because of how expensive the unit is. 

 

Hi Sargatanas,

 

I just sent my unit back because the volume control went wonky on me; it was a pleasant experience with no issues. I would imagine the evidence that it was burning up inside will be evident, so any water damage is a result of a fault in the 240. I think you'll be fine ...

post #605 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

 

Hi Sargatanas,

 

I just sent my unit back because the volume control went wonky on me; it was a pleasant experience with no issues. I would imagine the evidence that it was burning up inside will be evident, so any water damage is a result of a fault in the 240. I think you'll be fine ...

here's the deal... airline personnel took the unit because they said it was dangerous! confiscated the damn thing. then i was questioned after we landed. when i got back to the terminal, the staff for that flight and the plane was gone. i had to file a report with delta. highly pissed off. i dont know how long this going to take to get my burnt unit back :(

post #606 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargatanas View Post
 

here's the deal... airline personnel took the unit because they said it was dangerous! confiscated the damn thing. then i was questioned after we landed. when i got back to the terminal, the staff for that flight and the plane was gone. i had to file a report with delta. highly pissed off. i dont know how long this going to take to get my burnt unit back :(

 

Not good, not good at all. I'd be pissed if that happened to me. I'm sorry you have to go through this ordeal.

post #607 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

 

I find your comment, kkcc, about the "less than stellar" sound quality of the 100/120 quite interesting. As someone who has owned these two DAPs as well as being a current owner of the 240, all within the last five months, I would respectfully disagree.

 

Perhaps I can understand your comment in regards to the 100‚ÄĒI felt my previously owned Colorfly C4 Pro was more suited to my taste;¬†however, the 120 was a totally different matter. Although I find the 240 in a different league, this does not diminish the fact that the 120, sound wise, is a fantastic DAP. The reviews by the audiophile press, both online and off, support this fact, at least to my knowledge.

 

Given your status on this forum, I acknowledge you may be better qualified to assess the sound quality of these different units, but I just wanted to put my two cents in regarding my empirical acquaintance with the 120.

 

Nah I never believe anyone is more or less qualified to express their subjective experience/preferences.  Despite being one of the earliest adopter of AK120 locally or on headfi back in May 2013, while a good improvement over AK100, it's SQ never impressed me.   As much as I am a fan of the AK's focus on elegent design, exquisite built, features, and portability, I wasn't able to overlook the difference of SQ of the AK120 vs my other DAP HM901.  I had frequently ridiculed the hifiman DAP's size, heat, primitive UI, and most of all its ugly design but its SQ made me picking up the big ugly over the AK120 most days of the week - to the point it is just a backup that I pick up on days where I'm not sure I'd have much time, if at all, to listen and I don't want the HM901's bulk in my pockets.  It got replaced by the DX50, which is somewhat inferior in SQ and much worse in all other aspects but is also significantly cheaper.

 

I'm just glad AK240 finally gave me a DAP that I can love without compromising SQ!  Too bad it cost so much that my heart skips a few beats every time I misplaced it or have it almost slipped out of my hand :p   Will need get sometime less expensive that is within the single item coverage limit of my travel insurance for using on trips.

post #608 of 2222
We can thank 9/11 and the extra vigilance of crew and TSA for your close examination. I hope you still kept your shoes! The fact is, no device should ever smoke or catch on fire while in any vehicle especially an airplane. I also would propose that the USB charging port on an airplane has passed extensive testing in order to be installed for passenger service. I would therefore submit to AK that it was not some cheap charger you were plugged into. Provided that AK240 is OK with up to 2 amps charge rate, I would think the seat charger would be certified far more than anything else. It must pass FAA regulations, in other words.

So sorry to hear about your terrible problem, and great hopes for a quick resolution!
post #609 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

 

Nah I never believe anyone is more or less qualified to express their subjective experience/preferences.  Despite being one of the earliest adopter of AK120 locally or on headfi back in May 2013, while a good improvement over AK100, it's SQ never impressed me.   As much as I am a fan of the AK's focus on elegent design, exquisite built, features, and portability, I wasn't able to overlook the difference of SQ of the AK120 vs my other DAP HM901.  I had frequently ridiculed the hifiman DAP's size, heat, primitive UI, and most of all its ugly design but its SQ made me picking up the big ugly over the AK120 most days of the week - to the point it is just a backup that I pick up on days where I'm not sure I'd have much time, if at all, to listen and I don't want the HM901's bulk in my pockets.  It got replaced by the DX50, which is somewhat inferior in SQ and much worse in all other aspects but is also significantly cheaper.

 

I'm just glad AK240 finally gave me a DAP that I can love without compromising SQ!  Too bad it cost so much that my heart skips a few beats every time I misplaced it or have it almost slipped out of my hand :p   Will need get sometime less expensive that is within the single item coverage limit of my travel insurance for using on trips.

 

gotcha. I have no experience with the HM901 but I am aware of its reputation. I'm glad you like your 240. I fully understand the anxiety that comes from using a $2,500 device when out and about or traveling. I'd hate to test that aircraft aluminum if I ever dropped my 240; the case is nice but it should have been designed to cover the exposed corner. Murphy's Law will come into play if the 240 does fall ... right on that corner. :o 


Edited by jwbrent - 4/6/14 at 8:02am
post #610 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by my-2000 View Post


While I do agree with kkcc on compatibility of IEM with different A&K models (the Japanese term "ÁõłśÄß" came to my mind), I think he's implying BA IEM is a better fit with AK240 unless I'm missing some dynamic IEM being an "extremely transparent IEM". I do believe a good BA IEM will bring out the best of AK240 in terms of details and clarity because that's what BA IEM excels at, but it's just missing the emotion and the sense of engagement which are extremely important to me. It's like feeding a symphony score into a machine vs having an orchestra playing it, which one will come out perfect per se? The machine of course. Which one would I prefer listening to? The orchestra, any day.

I will stop before I turn it into a BA vs dynamic discussion ^^;. I do hope AKR03 aka the modified Roxanne will bring me good surprises as a BA IEM.

 

Nah I don't really imply BA or multi BA works better with AK240 or they would be more transparent.  In fact my JH13FP, RE600, and 1PLUS2 are all excellent IEMs for the AK240 and they're multi BA, single DD, and hybrid.  There are also one of the most transparent IEMs I have, and all are very musical yet resolving of details.  

post #611 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargatanas View Post

it was direct usb from first class. just like charging from a desktop
Holy crap man, sorry to hear that. I mostly charge my AK-240 on a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter or through my Sager laptop. I haven't had any issues. It does get a little warm, while playing, never hot.
post #612 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

 

gotcha. I have no experience with the HM901 but I am aware of its reputation. I'm glad you like your 240. I fully understand the anxiety that comes from using a $2,500 device when out and about or traveling. I'd hate to test that aircraft aluminum if I ever dropped my 240; the case is nice but it should have been designed to cover the exposed corner. Murphy's Law will come into play if the 240 does fall ... right on that corner. :o 

 

I made it worse by not using the leather case as IMO it kinna ruin the look and feel that I love about the AK240.  From the sharp edges, the materials, and the carbon fiber back I just feel it's really designed to be used without the case.... so my resolution is to just get another DAP that's for "rugged"/"casual" use when I go on trips where there could be too much distraction (e.g. kids...)

 

Hope your RMA'ed unit would be working perfectly this time around!

post #613 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
 

 

I made it worse by not using the leather case as IMO it kinna ruin the look and feel that I love about the AK240.  From the sharp edges, the materials, and the carbon fiber back I just feel it's really designed to be used without the case.... so my resolution is to just get another DAP that's for "rugged"/"casual" use when I go on trips where there could be too much distraction (e.g. kids...)

 

Hope your RMA'ed unit would be working perfectly this time around!

 

Thanks, kkcc. I'm looking forward to getting my unit back in perfect working and aesthetic order.

 

I fully agree with you about the case; I think the look of the 240 is gorgeous and the case, although a nice leather, detracts from the 240's beauty. I can't use another DAP (I initially kept my 120 after I got the 240, but the sound difference was so significant, I couldn't listen to the 120 anymore), so it would be a very bad day indeed if I dropped it only to see it shatter or dent up. I don't know ... I may forgo the case when I get my new unit and just be extra careful.

post #614 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargatanas View Post

it was direct usb from first class. just like charging from a desktop
I used a iPhone plug on the plane for 3.5 hours, got to 100% charge while I was listening. No problems so far.
post #615 of 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooloos View Post

Has anyone found a working link for the MQS streaming software for MAC that will work with Mavericks? Or got a file that works that you'd be prepared to email?smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks, Andrewp

I don't remember which link I used to download MQS but I'd be happy to send it to you. The one I downloaded was 0.4.6 which upgraded itself to 0.4.7. I have an archive with both versions.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread