Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread - Page 31

post #451 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

Yes i have tried AK 240 pair With Cypher Labs Duet :

source : AK 240 use LINE OUT
Amp : Cypher Labs Duet use Low Gain
Headphone : Beyerdynamic T5p stock cable
LCD XC SAA. endorphin balance 4 pin > balance 4 pin to mini plug
Cable : mini to mini Crystal Cabel Dreamline DIY
Music file : WAV ,AIFF , FLAC hi rest 24 bit / 196 KHz and DSD

My impression :
High : very detail and very clear and very good clarity
Mid : very clear and sweet and natural mid that I can hear every clear how the Sanger breath
Very good pronounced and rendering
Bass : very good impact and fast bass reproduction and very clean and detail
Separation : very good separation that for close I can detect very clear the musician placement
Soundstage : wide and very good depth , that I feel not like close headphone
Background : very black background
Hissing : No hiss

Overall :
Duet is new amp , the SQ is one level above my old school Headroom portable micro amp and pico dac amp
With duet pair with AK 240 has very good synergy , very good rendering , at low Gain I have power full
Amp to drive T5p and LCD XC .
The best synergy pair with LCD XC , with T5p the bass is not so tight ...

Rudi, Thanks for this précise report.

One question: did you used the BALANCED line-out of the AK240 to feed the Duet ?
Also, did you compared SE and BALANCED headphone out of the Duet With the LCD ( or other phones) ? Is there à réal SQ gain going Balanced With this set-up ?

Thanks
post #452 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post


Yes i have tried AK 240 pair With Cypher Labs Duet :

 

How about Duet vs SR71-B on AK 240? Which of the two has the better synergy?

post #453 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Rudi, Thanks for this précise report.

One question: did you used the BALANCED line-out of the AK240 to feed the Duet ?
Also, did you compared SE and BALANCED headphone out of the Duet With the LCD ( or other phones) ? Is there à réal SQ gain going Balanced With this set-up ?

Thanks

Hi you are welcome
I haven't try on my ak 240 in balance mode , because until now I haven't found very good trrs balance plug
post #454 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post

How about Duet vs SR71-B on AK 240? Which of the two has the better synergy?

I will let you by tomorrow , now is already mid night biggrin.gif
post #455 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozrr View Post

popcorn.gif
(tempted to get the duet now...)

Question: How do I get a balanced digital signal out of the AK into duet? Using the LO Block?

Use balance line out / balance HP out in the middle , the first ones is single ended line out and SE hp out
post #456 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashton View Post
 

By dynamic: A playlist where you can use conditionals (like iTunes does with Smart Playlists) such as:

Genre contains "Rock"

Year is between xxxx and yyyy (play all 1990s music this way, for example)

 

And critically: can you copy all music to the device based upon it being in a playlist (again, like iTunes) and what playing / collection management software natively 'sees' the AK120 as a device.


Anyone?

post #457 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post
 
I haven't try on my ak 240 in balance mode , because until now I haven't found very good trrs balance plug

 

I doubt any exist at the moment. Everyone has to use the same cheap ones until someone makes a better one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozrr View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post


I will let you by tomorrow , now is already mid night biggrin.gif

:popcorn:

(tempted to get the duet now...)

 

Question: How do I get a balanced digital signal out of the AK into duet? Using the LO Block?

 

ALO is making adaptors, but any cable maker will be able to do it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashton View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashton View Post
 

By dynamic: A playlist where you can use conditionals (like iTunes does with Smart Playlists) such as:

Genre contains "Rock"

Year is between xxxx and yyyy (play all 1990s music this way, for example)

 

And critically: can you copy all music to the device based upon it being in a playlist (again, like iTunes) and what playing / collection management software natively 'sees' the AK120 as a device.


Anyone?

 

If you're on a Mac, you'll need to use The Missing Sync for Android. 

 

For future reference: 

It has the ability to sync a lot of types of data, but we only want the Music module.

Inside the Music module settings, you need to click on the "Advanced" button and AIF, AIFF, AAC, M4A, WAV and FLAC to the list of recognised files (and others if you use them).

If you want to copy DSD files (and they aren't in iTunes), the "File" module can copy them too.

 

If you install Android File Transfer to copy files, it will screw up The Missing Sync by auto-opening every time you connect the AK240. You need to remove it from your Login Items in the System Preferences (Users and Groups -> Your main user -> Login Items). Unfortunately, it keeps installing itself there whenever it is run, so you have to right-click on it in the Login Items and "Reveal in Finder" then trash it, then set the enclosing folder to be "Read Only" as it persistently re-installs itself.

post #458 of 1839

I just ordered a balanced silver cable for the Mentors to use with the balanced out of the 240 from Ted's Headfood to replace the stock cable. I'm not big into cables but I am hoping I can hear a diff. The 240 sounds so good with SE I am hoping to get a little extra in balanced mode.

 

I'm happy to not have to fool around with adaptors and just be able to plug in directly to the AK. I'll have on Tuesday and let you all know.

post #459 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

I just ordered a balanced silver cable for the Mentors to use with the balanced out of the 240 from Ted's Headfood to replace the stock cable. I'm not big into cables but I am hoping I can hear a diff. The 240 sounds so good with SE I am hoping to get a little extra in balanced mode.

I'm happy to not have to fool around with adaptors and just be able to plug in directly to the AK. I'll have on Tuesday and let you all know.
You'll love the balanced, I'm listening through balanced right now , using my HD-800's quite happy..
post #460 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post


Hi you are welcome
I haven't try on my ak 240 in balance mode , because until now I haven't found very good trrs balance plug

 

Hi rudi,

 

I just exchanged emails with Peter at Double Helix Cables, and he will be getting in custom made, 2.5mm TRRS plugs made from brass and then gold-plated. The barrels are bead blasted aluminum. I'm likely going to order a set of cables from him which use this new plug.

post #461 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post
 

I just ordered a balanced silver cable for the Mentors to use with the balanced out of the 240 from Ted's Headfood to replace the stock cable. I'm not big into cables but I am hoping I can hear a diff. The 240 sounds so good with SE I am hoping to get a little extra in balanced mode.

 

I'm happy to not have to fool around with adaptors and just be able to plug in directly to the AK. I'll have on Tuesday and let you all know.

 

You mean Ted from teds seafood? :wink_face:

 

I spoke with him today and he helped me out on a question I had. Good guy. Please report back on your new cables ...

post #462 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post

You mean Ted from teds seafood? wink_face.gif

I spoke with him today and he helped me out on a question I had. Good guy. Please report back on your new cables ...
I also told him to send the poki he promised when I bought the 240 from him wink.gif. BTW, I have you to thank for turning me on to Ted to buy the AK.
MAHALO JW!
post #463 of 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post


I also told him to send the poki he promised when I bought the 240 from him wink.gif. BTW, I have you to thank for turning me on to Ted to buy the AK.
MAHALO JW!

 

Oh, I'm going to have to ask Ted for a commission. :wink_face:

 

Just kidding, Ted's an honorable guy to do business with, but don't let him off the hook (so to speak) on the poki! :D

post #464 of 1839

Hi everyone,

 

rudi is so excited by his Opus 3 DSD recordings that I thought I would provide links to free DSD downloads. Keep in mind you have to create an account to access these downloads from these sites except for the first one:

 

http://oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

 

- there are 4 songs here that were recorded in pure DSD, no PCM conversion. Interestingly, 3 of the 4 recordings were recorded where I live at a studio that I didn't even know existed.

 

http://bluecoastrecords.com/home

 

- this company is based near San Francisco and does pure DSD recordings. The free downloads link leads to a page that has a couple dozen downloads.

 

http://dsd-guide.com

 

- there are 4 free downloads here. This site is also good for those who want to know more about the technical aspects of DSD recordings.

 

http://audiogate.bluecoastrecords.com

 

- 3 songs here free to download.

 

Most of the music would be classified as folk rock, although there are other genres as well. Enjoy!

post #465 of 1839

one more ... now you can hear what rudi is so excited about. Opus 3 double DSD!

 

http://shop.dsdfile.com/2013/01/15/opus3-dsd-showcase-1-5-6mhz-coming-soon/


Edited by jwbrent - 3/29/14 at 7:54pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread