Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread - Page 21

post #301 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

Here's a picture of my portable rig ... I just received the XCs today so they are burning in along with the 240.

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Congrats.......Love my Audeze's

post #302 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldlion973 View Post

People are saying that the AK120 and HM-901 sound warmer with more of a tuning toward EDM and other such music, seems like the A&K team were aiming at the more Classical and JAzzy folks with this one.... was wondering how you guys are finding the 9 band EQ function when it comes to more midrange-lower type music, does it compensate well?

Problem I have is that I've got a pair of Alpha Dogs, don't think they'd pair well and I'm not inclined to change the bass setting on the phones.

Comparatively AK120 is a lot warmer/darker than HM901 than the HM901 is warmer than AK240. HM901 is largely neutral with great treble extension and I believe the perceived "lush" or "warm" described in various impressions has more to do with the fullness of the sound (achieved via its powerful amp) than the frequency response itself. Listening back to back on my AK240 and HM901 with balanced amp, the 901 is just very slightly warmer.

I echo Rudi's earlier comment and don't recommend AK240 standalone (even on balanced out) with full-size cans. It sounded great with portable phones like momentum or edition 8 but lacks power to make the planars sound great. Ak240 still is significantly better than AK120 and sounded okay but the HM901 is much better with planar and full-size in general.
Edited by kkcc - 3/17/14 at 8:58pm
post #303 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post

Understand. I'm thinking about the ALO IE800s since I liked my IE8s when I owned them. I don't have any experience with ALO's mods; how's the craftsmanship? Thank you for your reply.
Sure. The pictures ALO posted on their site are pretty true reflections of the product, nevertheless I've taken a few more pictures of it:

DSC_0558.jpg
DSC_0559.jpg
DSC_0560.jpg
DSC_0561.jpg

I will save my essay on how BIG an improvement is from IE8 -> IE800. smily_headphones1.gif
post #304 of 1614
Wow!!! They look great, I enjoy my IE-800, very much. I'm sure you will enjoy them even more, congrats..
post #305 of 1614
I'm guessing ALO are the only guys out there right now doing IE-800 balanced?
post #306 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


Comparatively AK120 is a lot warmer/darker than HM901 than the HM901 is warmer than AK240. HM901 is largely neutral with great treble extension and I believe the perceived "lush" or "warm" described in various impressions has more to do with the fullness of the sound (achieved via its powerful amp) than the frequency response itself. Listening back to back on my AK240 and HM901 with balanced amp, the 901 is just very slightly warmer.

I echo Rudi's earlier comment and don't recommend AK240 standalone (even on balanced out) with full-size cans. It sounded great with portable phones like momentum or edition 8 but lacks power to make the planars sound great. Ak240 still is significantly better than AK120 and sounded okay but the HM901 is much better with planar and full-size in general.

 

Wow,... didn't think it would need amping, thought that its balanced out was part of a more powerful amp section given the cost. Not sure I could spend on a second amp to go with it although it would get round the mini jack issue.

 

Thanks for the response... what amp do people reccomend with the device, was the 71b for the AK120 am guessing the ALO MB+ might suit the AK240, seems to be a company companionship going on with the two companies.

post #307 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

Comparatively AK120 is a lot warmer/darker than HM901 than the HM901 is warmer than AK240. HM901 is largely neutral with great treble extension and I believe the perceived "lush" or "warm" described in various impressions has more to do with the fullness of the sound (achieved via its powerful amp) than the frequency response itself. Listening back to back on my AK240 and HM901 with balanced amp, the 901 is just very slightly warmer.

I echo Rudi's earlier comment and don't recommend AK240 standalone (even on balanced out) with full-size cans. It sounded great with portable phones like momentum or edition 8 but lacks power to make the planars sound great. Ak240 still is significantly better than AK120 and sounded okay but the HM901 is much better with planar and full-size in general.

I am totally agree With Your impression kkcc
post #308 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldlion973 View Post

Wow,... didn't think it would need amping, thought that its balanced out was part of a more powerful amp section given the cost. Not sure I could spend on a second amp to go with it although it would get round the mini jack issue.

Thanks for the response... what amp do people reccomend with the device, was the 71b for the AK120 am guessing the ALO MB+ might suit the AK240, seems to be a company companionship going on with the two companies.

So Far best sounding are :

Mass Ko Bo 385
Wagnus Epsilon S

The Other Amps i havent try them yet
post #309 of 1614
I am using a MKIII+ with my AK240.

love the bass and most importantly for me. the highs weren't to unbearable for me compare to direct from AK240. but do note, I like my music 'dark'.
post #310 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by my-2000 View Post


Sure. The pictures ALO posted on their site are pretty true reflections of the product, nevertheless I've taken a few more pictures of it:

DSC_0558.jpg
DSC_0559.jpg
DSC_0560.jpg
DSC_0561.jpg

I will save my essay on how BIG an improvement is from IE8 -> IE800. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Those do look nice, but the cable seems really short. Is the extension part of the package? I wonder if they can be ordered with an intact 4' cable.

post #311 of 1614

Quote:

 

I echo Rudi's earlier comment and don't recommend AK240 standalone (even on balanced out) with full-size cans. It sounded great with portable phones like momentum or edition 8 but lacks power to make the planars sound great. Ak240 still is significantly better than AK120 and sounded okay but the HM901 is much better with planar and full-size in general.

 

 

I use my AK240 with Beyerdynamic T5p's which are full-sized cans. I think it is an incredibly synergistic combination, especially if you are into neutrality!


Edited by piercer - 3/18/14 at 6:50am
post #312 of 1614
I'm looking at either Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Duet,or the SR-71B , to run with the AK-240,there both balanced out, and hopefully have enough power to my HD-800. Then maybe I'll look at ciem's , that are balanced, gonna need a second job if I keep this up..
post #313 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercer View Post

I use my AK240 with Beyerdynamic T5p's which are full-sized cans. I think it is an incredibly synergistic combination, especially if you are into neutrality!

With T5p , Fostex TH 900 are very Good , but not excellent because lack Of Power to make these 2 headphones more Shining
If you add amp to Your AK 240 via line out , you Will Love Your AK 240 more than direct for full Size headphones
IMO
post #314 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercer View Post
 

I use my AK240 with Beyerdynamic T5p's which are full-sized cans. I think it is an incredibly synergistic combination, especially if you are into neutrality!

 

As I mentioned, these cans don't necessarily sounded bad or meh on AK240 standalone, many even sound good.  But it is apparent the AK240 is not pushing my LCD3 or HD800 anywhere close to their best.  But to be fair, I have heard these headphones sounding worse on some mid range desktop amps than on the AK240, so do take my (or even more so Rudi's) comments in context.  For me my comparison is with HM901 with the balanced (very neutral), or angel/discrete (slightly mid forward) amp boards, and with Rudi, his Mass Kobo and Wagnus amps.  I no longer own the iBasso DX100 and it may also be more powerful for driving full size.  And in comparison, I would prefer my Audio-gd NFB28 balanced dac/amp over the HM901 in driving LCD3 with a whooping 4W at 50ohm.  To me, these are really moot as AK240 is the utlimate portable DAP, and saying LCD3 or HD800 not so portable is an understatement..... horses for courses I guess! 

post #315 of 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh600rr View Post

I'm guessing ALO are the only guys out there right now doing IE-800 balanced?

As far as I'm aware, yes. Would be nice to see someone else doing it too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 

 

Those do look nice, but the cable seems really short. Is the extension part of the package? I wonder if they can be ordered with an intact 4' cable.

Yep, it comes with one extension cable. As a AK240 user you would naturally pick the one ending with 2.5mm trrs plug, and ALO lets you separately order extra extension cables, such as one ending with 3.5mm trs plug.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread