Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread - Page 70

post #1036 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post

A few questions : is there a true sq benefit in driving iems balanced on the AK240? On the 901 the benefit was minimal, even if driving iems balanced allowed to use the full capacity of the balanced card.

If you have 2.5 balanced cables for your iems, you need a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter to use this cable on other DAPs right?

What is the meaning of life?

 

It is close to impossible to quickly compare with IEMs, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference, especially with BA models. Funnily enough I find the DITAs, being dynamic, to show up more differences between DAPs in that way. Full-sized headphones will likely get the most benefit.

 

I just ordered some balanced UERM cables and am getting a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm adaptor made for it too.

post #1037 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post


I just ordered some balanced UERM cables and am getting a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm adaptor made for it too.

May I ask where? I'd love to find a balanced cable for the UERM.
post #1038 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

May I ask where? I'd love to find a balanced cable for the UERM.
You want/need Ted at Headfood Lounge: http://headphonelounge.com
I did the silver Litz balanced for my UERM and was knocked out. Heard stuff in recordings I didn't know was there. And I had been totally pleased with my TH900.
post #1039 of 2226
Oh, forgot to mention that lots of folks feel the way I do. You can check out his thread, the new headfood lounge thread here on head fi.
post #1040 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewayne View Post

You want/need Ted at Headfood Lounge: http://headphonelounge.com
I did the silver Litz balanced for my UERM and was knocked out. Heard stuff in recordings I didn't know was there. And I had been totally pleased with my TH900.

Are u using the balance or the SE with the TH900? If balance, how did u mod the TH900 and how do u feel compare with SE? smily_headphones1.gif
post #1041 of 2226

Thanks guys...it just that these adapters are a pain. But maybe 2.5 can be very small.

post #1042 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewayne View Post

You want/need Ted at Headfood Lounge: http://headphonelounge.com
I did the silver Litz balanced for my UERM and was knocked out. Heard stuff in recordings I didn't know was there. And I had been totally pleased with my TH900.

Oh I didn't know anyone had the newer UE connectors? I've had Ted make me plenty of stuff. I'll hit him up soon.
post #1043 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post

Are u using the balance or the SE with the TH900? If balance, how did u mod the TH900 and how do u feel compare with SE? smily_headphones1.gif
SE. I've had a couple of discussions with various knowledgeable people about modding the TH900. All said it is not easy to do and would not be a significant improvement. I really think the sound is superb with the 240. BTW I was at SoCal and was able to compare with Audeze (I brought my TH900 with me) and thought my TH900 SE was more detailed, less dark.
post #1044 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Oh I didn't know anyone had the newer UE connectors? I've had Ted make me plenty of stuff. I'll hit him up soon.
Not sure about "newer" but Ted was very careful to determine he had the correct connector. I even sent him close up photos of the UEs. They are a very snug fit, tho.
post #1045 of 2226
Thanks for the reply!

Wow that's a good news for me as I'm hesitating whether I should mod my TH900 to balance... I gonna drive it with my upcoming RWAK240 anyway. wink.gif

Have you tried HD800 pair with the AK240/RWAK240 in SE or balanced? Would you recommend the HD800 or TH900 to be the best combo with the 240? smily_headphones1.gif
post #1046 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post

Thanks for the reply!

Wow that's a good news for me as I'm hesitating whether I should mod my TH900 to balance... I gonna drive it with my upcoming RWAK240 anyway. wink.gif

Have you tried HD800 pair with the AK240/RWAK240 in SE or balanced? Would you recommend the HD800 or TH900 to be the best combo with the 240? smily_headphones1.gif
You're welcome! (Just got up here-that's why it took so long to get back to you...)
Wow- a RWAK240! I'm really tempted on that one. I'll be anxious to get your review . How did you decide to go for it?
Interesting question re HD800....because that is what I sold for the TH900. I fought the good fight to make the HD800 work. Different amps, cables, even did the DIY recommend by Tyll. Just harsh sounding- ultimately fatiguing. I really think the TH900 is the best combo. BTW, Todd at TTVJ has them on sale at a great price (much less than I paid him!)
post #1047 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewayne View Post

You're welcome! (Just got up here-that's why it took so long to get back to you...)
Wow- a RWAK240! I'm really tempted on that one. I'll be anxious to get your review . How did you decide to go for it?
Interesting question re HD800....because that is what I sold for the TH900. I fought the good fight to make the HD800 work. Different amps, cables, even did the DIY recommend by Tyll. Just harsh sounding- ultimately fatiguing. I really think the TH900 is the best combo. BTW, Todd at TTVJ has them on sale at a great price (much less than I paid him!)

Haha appreciate for all the info!!! biggrin.gif

Yeah I will definitely put my review down on the thread once I got it! Unfortunately my money only allow me to get one headphone between the 900 and 800 after I decided to pay for the RWAK240. So that's why I was hesitating between these 2 great headphones but now I'm tempted to get the TH900 after hearing your recommendation HAHA.

The reason I wanna buy the rwak240 is simply because I heard rwak120-B and truly trust Vinnie's skill and experience after that. smily_headphones1.gif

If I get the TH900 and pair with the 240 on its SE, the 2.5 balance out seems to be a waste for me... >.< haha, such pain when choosing hifi equipments....
post #1048 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by archeryc View Post

Haha appreciate for all the info!!! biggrin.gif

Yeah I will definitely put my review down on the thread once I got it! Unfortunately my money only allow me to get one headphone between the 900 and 800 after I decided to pay for the RWAK240. So that's why I was hesitating between these 2 great headphones but now I'm tempted to get the TH900 after hearing your recommendation HAHA.

The reason I wanna buy the rwak240 is simply because I heard rwak120-B and truly trust Vinnie's skill and experience after that. smily_headphones1.gif

If I get the TH900 and pair with the 240 on its SE, the 2.5 balance out seems to be a waste for me... >.< haha, such pain when choosing hifi equipments....
Yes it is! I just have to add an additional thought: there is such a "buzz" about the HD800 that I just don't get. And when talking to those knowledgeable I get a "thumbs up " on the TH900. With the HD800 they either luv 'um or hate 'em. Interestingly, price-wise they're about the same. I have to add that I have abroad range of music in different formats and I am amazed how great it all sounds on my TH900-240 (240 is truly incredible)...even older stuff I downloaded from iTunes! Sure DSD is the best, but for some reason off CDs etc. is just so engaging.
post #1049 of 2226

I love my stock 240 and would seriously consider doing the $500 upgrade, however, I had a problem with my original 240 in that the volume control began misbehaving, so A&K replaced my unit with a new one after about 5 weeks of ownership. If I did the upgrade and another problem came up, I would have to send it back to Vinnie for repair whereas A&K will generally replace a defective unit during the warranty period unless there is a relatively easy fix, at least that was what I inferred from talking with Jimmy at A&K.

 

Also, I'm extremely anal about my audio gear; a slightly stripped screw head would bug the hell out of me. I've read that Vinnie does excellent mods, but I worry there may be evidence of such mods after getting my 240 back. Then, of course, there is the down time waiting for my unit to be returned‚ÄĒlistening to the 240 is like becoming addicted to a drug ... I'd have a difficult time with the withdrawal.¬†:wink_face:¬†

post #1050 of 2226
AK 240 pair as source With High End Desk top amp

Source : AK 240 through LINE OUT
Desktop Amp : Mass Ko Bo 394 full balance HP amp
Gain : High
Volume : Max 11 - 13
Headphone : Abyss 1266
Cable : Centrance RCA to 6,3 mm plus 6,3 mm to mini plug Furutech

My impression

High : very clean, Clear and best clarity and better presence compare With Other Amps , is similar to mynStax SR 007
Mid : very sweet Clear abd clean midrange With very Good pronounce so effortless
Bass : The best Bass i Ever heard from Abyss pair With Mass Ko Bo , very Deep detail and very Good bass impact
Separation : excellent separation This is on par With Stax SR 007 mk2
Soundstage : very Wide and very Good Depth is like In very big concert hall
Background : very black background / very quiet

Overall :

Abyss best Synergy pair With Mass Ko Bo 394 , i can hear The Max potential from My Abyss now , The clarity almost like Stax headphone , very sweet and intimate sounding mid With better pronounce and clarity , that i can hear how The sanger breath very noticeable .the plus Point Abyss pair With Mass Kobo is teh strong And very Deep bass reproduction
I Ever heard on headphone , and very clean sounding. Bass too With very well controlled bass Speed
Even though With The source Only AK 240 has so excellent sound quality .
If i pair With High End Transport and DAC , Mass Kobo can produce even better
My friend Said like High End home Set Up 50 K USD hahaha
IMO


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread