Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread - Page 68

post #1006 of 2226
Also another question is: Has anyone try TH900 in the 2.5mm balance out and compares with the 3.5 PO? I'm seriously wanna know the answer of this! smily_headphones1.gif
post #1007 of 2226

Generally speaking, 6.3 out performs the 3.5 and I like the Furutechs (especially the carbon fibre ones). I suggest to use the 6.3 if you will use desktop setup with the 900. If you use it solely with 240 then use the 3.5. For 3.5mm plugs, my preference:

 

1. Wireworld Carbon Fibre - Lots of details, dynamic and musical, a touch darker background

2. Wireworld aluminum - same as above, background a shade below CF

3. Oyaide Rhodium - Dynamic, analytical, a bit on the cool side, gets better with time, good details

4. Oyaide Gold - Warmer than Rhodium, more forgiving

post #1008 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeout View Post

Generally speaking, 6.3 out performs the 3.5 and I like the Furutechs (especially the carbon fibre ones). I suggest to use the 6.3 if you will use desktop setup with the 900. If you use it solely with 240 then use the 3.5. For 3.5mm plugs, my preference:

1. Wireworld Carbon Fibre - Lots of details, dynamic and musical, a touch darker background
2. Wireworld aluminum - same as above, background a shade below CF
3. Oyaide Rhodium - Dynamic, analytical, a bit on the cool side, gets better with time, good details
4. Oyaide Gold - Warmer than Rhodium, more forgiving

Thank you for the plug suggestion!! I'm gonna get the wire world carbon fiber, but not sure whether Drew from Moon Audio are able to order it or not... Tried to contact him couple times but still no reply since last week... frown.gif
post #1009 of 2226

If anyone from A&K is listening...

 

It would be nice if you could add the Album name in addition to the artist and track in the "now playing" screen for lack of a better word. I know we see the album art, but it would be nice to see the album name as well listed under the artist and track.

 

Y2J

post #1010 of 2226
Does anyone know what format the 128gb sd card needs to be used with AK240?
post #1011 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post

Does anyone know what format the 128gb sd card needs to be used with AK240?

Just format the card within the AK240 though the sandisk card already comes pre formatted

in exfat formatand should work fine from the box.

post #1012 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheznous View Post

Just format the card within the AK240 though the sandisk card already comes pre formatted
in exfat formatand should work fine from the box.

Thanks for the info! Is exfat stable? Or would fat32 be safer?
post #1013 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post


Thanks for the info! Is exfat stable? Or would fat32 be safer?

I have been using the exfat 128gb card in the AK240 for the last ten days with no problems.

post #1014 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheznous View Post

I have been using the exfat 128gb card in the AK240 for the last ten days with no problems.

Oh great! Then should be no problem with AK100 II and AK120 II smily_headphones1.gif
post #1015 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheznous View Post
 

Just format the card within the AK240 though the sandisk card already comes pre formatted

in exfat formatand should work fine from the box.

My card got corrupted somehow, I think I did it. So, I erased and reformatted in the 240 and had no problems. Chez is giving you good advice.

post #1016 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

My card got corrupted somehow, I think I did it. So, I erased and reformatted in the 240 and had no problems. Chez is giving you good advice.

Hi Steve
I used memori card reader to copy My songs to My micro SD card.
Sometimes if i copy direct to micro SD Insite The AK 240 , was corrputed file , in 1 album has 12 songs , some times copied only 6 files ,
From this experience I never copy smogs direct to micro SD insert in my AK 's dap
For copy direct to flash memory from AK's are very good
post #1017 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylafari View Post
 

Is there any way you can use just the DAC and music player portion of the AK240 and use the lineout to RCA into an external amp (I read the manual and I believe its not possible but just making sure)? I will look into these balanced TRRS jacks but they are very expensive (I don't believe in improved sound quality cables, just my opinion, no need to discuss it).

 

Yes. Just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable. 

 

About 2.5mm TRRS balanced cables: Anyone can make them. I think soon everyone will be using better than the usual cheap and nasty ones which are horrid to try and solder with anything but tonearm wire.

post #1018 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

 

Yes. Just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable. 

 

About 2.5mm TRRS balanced cables: Anyone can make them. I think soon everyone will be using better than the usual cheap and nasty ones which are horrid to try and solder with anything but tonearm wire.

 

Thanks for the clarification. Gonna go grab my 3.5mm to RCA cable now :D

post #1019 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

 

Yes. Just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable. 

 

About 2.5mm TRRS balanced cables: Anyone can make them. I think soon everyone will be using better than the usual cheap and nasty ones which are horrid to try and solder with anything but tonearm wire.

 

Peter at Double Helix Cables now has custom made 2.5mm gold plated connectors. I just received my Audeze cable from him so I can use the balanced output. I believe Ted at Headphone Lounge (teds headfood) also has higher quality connectors that are custom made.

 

I highly recommend both of these vendors.

 

Selling my stock green case in the classifieds for those who are interested ...


Edited by jwbrent - 5/15/14 at 10:47pm
post #1020 of 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrent View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

 

Yes. Just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable. 

 

About 2.5mm TRRS balanced cables: Anyone can make them. I think soon everyone will be using better than the usual cheap and nasty ones which are horrid to try and solder with anything but tonearm wire.

 

Peter at Double Helix Cables now has custom made 2.5mm gold plated connectors. I just received my Audeze cable from him so I can use the balanced output. I believe Ted at Headphone Lounge (teds headfood) also has higher quality connectors that are custom made.

 

I highly recommend both of these vendors.

 

Selling my stock green case in the classifieds for those who are interested ...

 

I heard that Peter was getting plugs made. The cable I auditioned the AK240 and HD800s with was Ted's and Trevor at Norne Audio is getting plugs made too. Alex at WyWires can do them now too. With the veteran companies like Moon Audio and ALO Audio it's rather like "do we have to even ask?". What I do now though is get all my headphones terminated with a 4-pin mini-XLR and adaptor tails for TRS, 4-pin XLR, RSA etc. as required. With my UERMs I'm getting a cable made with the 2.5mm TRRS for the AK240 then an adaptor for that which goes to 3.5mm TRS and RSA.

 

Here's the tricky thing: I have a tail for the AK240 and a tail for dual-3-pin XLR balanced. I made an adaptor to connect the tails so I can use the balanced output of the AK240 to the balanced input of a DAC (same plugs!).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread