or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Dark, hard, progressive rock/metal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dark, hard, progressive rock/metal?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Its been a long time since I really enjoyed a new Prog-Rock/Metal album. I find that I keep going to extreme-metal for that intensity, but would like to look at some new recommendations in the prog-space. 

 

Anyways...music like the following:

 

Tool

Karnivool

Cave In

Mastodon

Dredg

TMV

 

Generally like the darker, edgier, heavier material. As a result, have a harder time getting into groups like Riverside, Porcupine Tree (although some of their stuff is great), Oceansize, etc.

 

Thanks!


Edited by kwitel - 2/8/14 at 2:53pm
post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

Shameless bump:confused_face_2:

 

Anyone?

post #3 of 12

The Ocean (post-hardcore, experimental)

Isis (instrumental post-metal)

Pelican (same)

Baroness (progressive sludge, a lot like Mastodon)

The Sword (same)

Scale the Summit (instrumental, they get labeled metalcore but are most post-rock than anything, IMO)

The Contortionist (progressive/atmospheric in the vein of Between the Buried and Me)

Daylight Dies (heavy/progressive gloom/doom similar to Opeth, but heavier and more straightforward)

post #4 of 12
Quote:

Baroness (progressive sludge, a lot like Mastodon)

The Sword (same)

I like your list, but I'm not sure I'd categorize The Sword that way (though I love them).  I think they're more stoner, less prog.  Great if you like riffs.

 

Maybe look into Intronaut, Burst, Anciients, New Keepers of the Water Towers' latest.  Though it's more post than prog, Russian Circles' sound is dark and heavy IMO.

post #5 of 12

^ You may be right, but Warp Riders was a sci-fi concept album and Apocryphon was kind of the same. Very proggy ideals, anyway.

 

"Speaking about opening track "The Veil of Isis", Cronise has described the lyrical content as "a little more metaphysical than a lot of our previous stuff", explaining that it "talks a lot about cycles of nature and life and death and birth and transformation and death and rebirth".[18] Elaborating on this, he explained further that "the song is about ... moving on from one phase of the natural cycle to the next and the recognition of the knowledge revealed when such transitions occur", revealing that the title is a reference to Isis, an Egyptian goddess, and that "the 'veil' is that which hides from us the true nature of the universe that, during our earthly existence, is largely hidden from us".[18]"

post #6 of 12
Yeah, definitely proggy concepts/lyrical themes, maybe just more so than the music. Take-away is The Sword rules and OP should check them out. They're awesome live, too.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
 

The Ocean (post-hardcore, experimental)

Isis (instrumental post-metal)

Pelican (same)

Baroness (progressive sludge, a lot like Mastodon)

The Sword (same)

Scale the Summit (instrumental, they get labeled metalcore but are most post-rock than anything, IMO)

The Contortionist (progressive/atmospheric in the vein of Between the Buried and Me)

Daylight Dies (heavy/progressive gloom/doom similar to Opeth, but heavier and more straightforward)

Thanks for the recos.

I actually am alreayd into all of these bands (with the exception of The Sword and Daylight Dies) and although all great, most of this is more Post-Rock/Metal than Prog.

The Ocean is interesting but admittedly really havent given them a good listen yet and Baroness doesnt really do it for me.

 

The Sword sounds interesting.

post #8 of 12
Quote:

Baroness doesnt really do it for me

All of it or just the new stuff?  Do you like Opeth?  For The Sword you should start with one of their latest two.

 

I find genre-labeling hard and confusing for the most part.  What sort of musical qualities are you looking for most here?

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle View Post
 

All of it or just the new stuff?  Do you like Opeth?  For The Sword you should start with one of their latest two.

 

I find genre-labeling hard and confusing for the most part.  What sort of musical qualities are you looking for most here?

Bungle-thanks for your post; all good questions:

 

I find Baroness to be a weak, less interesting version of Mastodon. Possible I havent given them enough of a chance but that was my impression after listening to Blue Record.

I like Opeth but not so into the black/death metal thing. Brilliant band, no doubt...but not my favorite style (although am a big Katatonia fan).

 

I love dark, driving, complex riffs (ala Meshuggah, Karnivool, Tool, Dillinger Escape Plan, and even The Mars Volta to a certain degree etc.). Granted I am not looking for any djent and/or metal/hardcore at this very moment, but essentially a more melodic version of the afore-mentioned bands (Tool and Karnivool would fit the bill perfectly).

 

All that said, I like anything high quality/anything that people around here think I need to listen to.

 

Thanks again!

post #10 of 12

Kind of hard to pinpoint something specific since those are very different artists. Do you know Intronaut?

 

 

 

or maybe Dead Letter Circus

post #11 of 12
Quote:

I find Baroness to be a weak, less interesting version of Mastodon. Possible I havent given them enough of a chance but that was my impression after listening to Blue Record.

 

 

I've never really considered them as being similar like that.  I'll admin, though, that I haven't listened to Blue Record in a while.  Red Album is my favorite.

 

 

Quote:

I love dark, driving, complex riffs (ala Meshuggah, Karnivool, Tool, Dillinger Escape Plan, and even The Mars Volta to a certain degree etc.). Granted I am not looking for any djent and/or metal/hardcore at this very moment, but essentially a more melodic version of the afore-mentioned bands (Tool and Karnivool would fit the bill perfectly).

 

I hear ya; Tool's hard to replicate.

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
 

Kind of hard to pinpoint something specific since those are very different artists. Do you know Intronaut?

 

 

 

or maybe Dead Letter Circus

 

Thanks Rob.

 

Like Intronaut a lot (and am actually seeing them again in a few months when they open for Cloudkicker) but for some reason their music doesnt resonate with me.

Highyly complex and impressive stuff but I find the music forgettable. Honestly not sure why...

 

DLC-great music, cannot stand the singer. The high pitched whining just kills it for me. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Dark, hard, progressive rock/metal?