- 57 Posts. Joined 2/2014
- Location: NYC
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 2/11/14
Related Forum Threads
- Need Cable Reccomendation for DIY Headphone Cable.. Last post on 5/22/15 at 8:55am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Burning in Kef M500? Last post on 2/24/15 at 7:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shootout - Entry to Mid-range Full Size Cans - Feat. ATH-M50, HD 558, and HE-400 Last post on 2/23/15 at 7:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M-50 vs. Onkyo ES FC-300 vs KRK KNS 8400 Last post on 2/15/15 at 7:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- I need cheap bluetooth recommendations Last post on 3/13/15 at 8:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Photo courtesy of Onsong Audio INTRODUCTION I recently tested out two battery-powered DAC/Amp solutions for getting better audio out of my iPhone, the Cayin C5DAC and Shanling H3. When I...
PIONEER HRM-7 REVIEW The Pioneer HRM-7 is what seems to be Pioneers first entry into the professional studio realm. Previously Pioneer has been very involved in providing almost everything a DJ...
Pros: Comfort, build quality, sub-bass quality, multiple sound tunings. Cons: Shouty upper mids Tonal Balance: Warm to balanced depending on ports. Style: Closed over-ear Listening...
The T40rp mark 2 is a very fine headphone. My first impression's of them where positive although your ears might take a while to get use to the very unique sound signature. They are very well...
You gonna get an amp now? ...or wait? o.k., you gonna wait? keep...
Headphones better than M50 under 150 dollars
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Welcome to Head-Fi
The M50s are insanely popular on the site, but as you already said, they might be overhyped.
Although I've never owned a pair of M50s, I was also tossing up between the M50 and the HM5 when I was first looking to move on from Beats. At the time I would have considered myself a bass head, and I loved rap, and hip hop music, as well as electro. But at the end of the day, I bought a set of HM5s, as well as a Fiio E11 headphone amp. To be honest, I'm not really sure why I chose the HM5 over the M50, even though I was a basshead, but I did, and I loved, and still do love the headphones.
I think that the HM5 is overall a better deal. I purachased mine 2 years ago and the packaging has changed in that time. HiFiGiy 528 on youtube did an unboxing of the HM5, and although the contents are the same, you get a hard shell case now over a travel like case that I received when I bought mine.
I guess it depends on the music that you listen to as well. The HM5 is very neutral compared to the M50 which is considered to be a bass head headphone. Maybe enlighten us to your musical preferences?
Your musical preference and an idea of the sound you like would be helpful, even if it's something subjective like " I want to hear the vocals better" or "want more bass" or "want more clarity and evenness". For a great setup under $150 I can't help but think the Grado SR80i. Not great if you're into dance or hiphop/electronica ect but very strong for everything else. I perfect headphone for rock and metal IMO at the pricepoint.
For IEMs ( not sure if you're looking to go that way) I recently got a pair of TripleFi 10s and despite the fit issues ... the lamentations of hundreds of others are true ... they are great sounding for the price. Everything I'm want in a headphone with the exception of some soundstage and comfort.
Good luck! My search for my sound has been a lot of trial and error and opinions you see here will be veeeery subjective. Not sure if you're a musician but each person has a preference in terms of sound and feel, headphones are no different than an instrument including amping and cables... IMO cables are BS for the average person.
I had the M50's for quite some time. It was great as a first pair of HP's above $100 price point. Good bass. Clarity and details were the best thing that happened to me in a while lol. It's very well built and portable because it can be folded snd comes with a carrying pouch. The comfort is OK.
Then I purchased an entirely different HP, an HD 598, and my ears completely refused to go back to the m50's. The comfort on 598's is heavenly good.
I also hear a quickness and a responsiveness from these that the m50's lacked. The soundstage is amazing as well. So, I had to divorce my m50's.
I f you don't mind an open HP that does not isolate sound, has a nice and controlled bass, a bit bulky, not that portable, consider the HD 558. It's sound signature is very close to the 598's.
Now, I am enjoying the Philips Fidelio X1's. It's a bit out of your price range, but really fun. Warm sounding with great bass. They were selling for like $150 a while ago.
Since I like hip hop there needs to be good bass, not overpowering or anything (not a basshead), I want clarity, and soundstage. That is my main concern with the m50s and I read that all the hm5 clones have a very good soundstage for closed headphones.
Btw since you mentioned IEM's, Im getting a pair of nvx ex10s for free (sonicelectronix.com) with the m50s im going to order. Then I just have to decide whether to keep the m50s or sell them and buy a different set.
All of the HM5 style headphones differ only in looks and included accessories. They are all OEM'd by the same company which I believe is Yoga Electronics.
The NVX headphones are the best to get right now because they include 2 different types of earpads both cables and the case, are much cheaper than the HM5, and are easy to find on amazon or directly from Sonic Electronix.
Any person who understands good audio knows the M50s and all Sony's are bad I will go so far as to call them horrible
They have grain and are forward , lack musicality , in general they suck .....can't wait for all the fanboys's replies
By forward do you mean no soundstage?
Yes , more than the separation the grain bothers me bad , I have owned the v6 have the zx700 had the ma900s and the m50s (2 Months) , the ma900s were fine but the rest were horrid , I dreaded going back to them , Its funny to see people like these headphones which are having such brutal accentuation and spikes across the board just horrid
I quote Zeos (YouTube'er) - "This is the Beats's syndrome"
Zeos's review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPd5BpEfNz0
Edited by MrTechAgent - 2/8/14 at 9:01am
- Headphones better than M50 under 150 dollars
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 second ago
- › Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference? 9 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 1 minute ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Headphone Driver Pics Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon 5 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 6 minutes ago
- › How to choose considering sound fatigue? 6 minutes ago
- › Calyx Audio PaT Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier - Gold by nmatheis
- › Pioneer HRM-7 Professional Studio Headphones by grizzlybeast
- › ZMF x Vibro by keanex
- › FOSTEX T40RP mkII DJ Headphones by JVC steven
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by Hawaiibadboy
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by tassardar
- › PW Audio Legend II v2 Copper IEM Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Xiaomi Mi Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Hisoundfi
- › Project Horizon 3 by Army-Firedawg
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2